The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Why?

Does that offend you?

The idea that a parasite is my equal offends me yes.
Original post by JD1lla
The idea that a parasite is my equal offends me yes.

Well it's like you have all your priorities wrong if it winds you up that much.
Reply 222
Yeah. Crimes against humanity like genocide, rape, poverty due to corruption, torture, abuse of PEOPLE upset me a tad bit more than the mass deaths of farmyard animals.
........it is not possible to live without killing "something" that has "life", in that sense we are perpetuating natural selection. Killing for sport or for the fun of it is just a primitive-level activity perpetuated by those with shares in gun manufacturing etc. When will people wake up to the fact its not about common sense reasoning or compassion---especially in the case of elephants, its all about MONEY and, as usual, its control.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 224
Leftism is not an ideology of rationality - it is an ideology of emotions. Ultimately, every leftist, when refuted by scientific rationalism, will fall back on "But, I believe in equality."
Beautiful creatures. What these people get out of killing them I have no idea. Nobody is impressed.
Original post by redferry
If only. Most rich people hate any sort of environmental cause as it is seen as an enemy of the free market.

The rich tend to be split, as others are, between the more liberal and the more reactionary. I tend to notice liberal rich people more maybe (or take more interest in what they have to say) and I agree that there are loads of 'don't give a damn' rich out there. Also liberal rich people can be quite tied to over consumption and dirty consumption and justify it to themselves. I think that's kind of the case with most of us who live in developed countries as well, in relation to the poor, the developing world and the environment.

I was just trying not to be too, too depressed about it. People tend to flake out on the environment issue because they feel despair. It's important to notice where there is progress, good attention on the issue, or a desire to change.
I'm keeping an open mind. I have reduced my meat intake over recent months mainly because of its fat content. I might be one of the few people to have seen what goes on in a slaughterhouse face to face and it wasn't pretty. In truth I enjoy asian foods with so many more flavours and all mainly vegetable based.
...remember its governments, often in spite of the people, who ultimately set the agendas and foreign policies, so not sure you can just blame people. Money and commercial interests usually get put before "everything else".
yep will do :smile:
Reply 230
Lol. The simple concept of "better off" is based entirely in emotionalism. You have started from a conclusion (maximising some ephemeral goodness) before following it through to its premises (humans must be killed).

Those of us with brains have a Hobbesian or Darwinist view of the world, and hence we are not susceptible to such insanity.
How is this discussion/evil rant even vaguely on topic?

You should be examining the corrupt bureaucrats that allowed this to happen, not arguing about the merits of vegetarianism and animal equality.

Has it occurred to anyone that some evil dude got paid £39k for an elephant? there is more than one person involved here.
Reply 232
Being surrounded by relatively intelligent people, I've forgotten what it must be like to interact with the stupid. Thank you for reminding me. :smile:
Bull****. They'd die anyway even if THEY were not to eat meat. Completely different to actively killing something yourself.
I'd rather not read through your moronic posts thanks. I have better things to do than read the ramblings of a confused, disassociated hypocrite.
I guess it's the thrill of the hunt gents.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Bull****. They'd die anyway even if THEY were not to eat meat. Completely different to actively killing something yourself.

it was the suffering of the animal he was referring to I think...actually dying is the easy part.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by J.SMART
Beautiful creatures. What these people get out of killing them I have no idea. Nobody is impressed.

I'm impressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Irony alert.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That's also based on an arbitrary ethical stand point. You place environmental concerns on a macro level over individual well being of the animals human's rear.

Of course. It seems illogical to me to place the life of a few cows above that of the entire planet, but I accept that is pureley my opinion

Latest

Trending

Trending