The Student Room Group

Council tax discount

Hi. I just recently finished Uni and moved into a new flat with one of my old flatmates. She started doing her PHD and is still considered a student so she doesn't have to pay council tax. We got a 25% discount from our bill for being 1 student and 1 professional from what I understand. I was wondering if I can apply for a single person discount as well, and get a further 25% off? I'm new at this since we were all students in the flat I lived before and we were exempt from paying council tax. Thanks.
No. You effectively have a single person discount already.
Reply 2
Original post by riza23
Hi. I just recently finished Uni and moved into a new flat with one of my old flatmates. She started doing her PHD and is still considered a student so she doesn't have to pay council tax. We got a 25% discount from our bill for being 1 student and 1 professional from what I understand. I was wondering if I can apply for a single person discount as well, and get a further 25% off? I'm new at this since we were all students in the flat I lived before and we were exempt from paying council tax. Thanks.

There are two of you in the flat, therefore you cannot claim a single occupancy discount. The fact that only one of you is eligible to pay Council Tax, does not mean that the person who isn't, is disregarded when Council Tax is calculated for the property.
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply. I just asked because on the gov council tax site it said that you can get a single person discount if the other person is diregarded and one of the disregarded persons they mention were full time students.
Reply 4
Original post by OU Student
No. You effectively have a single person discount already.

Thanks. :smile: Every site I went to treated the single person discount and the student discount as 2 different things and I got confused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending