The Student Room Group

Education Section - Independent student HELP!

Hi!

I'm applying to university as an international student. I've studied independently in my country, meaning I have taken exams at two different exam centres but had no affiliation with any school since I finished compulsary school (apart from an online school, which I registered all but one of my exams to). My question is what should I enter as my school/exam center in the education section?

As some of the exams are in the future UCAS won't allow me to write the exam center as only the date the exam is. For example, I am taking three exams in May 2016 at school X, but I can't write start date in the future, so I would have to write the start date this month, but that would be incorrect as I don't actually attend school X. Please help me as I need to apply very soon and don't know what to do!
Original post by maddepadde
Hi!

I'm applying to university as an international student. I've studied independently in my country, meaning I have taken exams at two different exam centres but had no affiliation with any school since I finished compulsary school (apart from an online school, which I registered all but one of my exams to). My question is what should I enter as my school/exam center in the education section?

As some of the exams are in the future UCAS won't allow me to write the exam center as only the date the exam is. For example, I am taking three exams in May 2016 at school X, but I can't write start date in the future, so I would have to write the start date this month, but that would be incorrect as I don't actually attend school X. Please help me as I need to apply very soon and don't know what to do!

Those messages don't physically prohibit you from adding an exam centre with dates May-June, they're just there to make sure what you've put in is right.

As an independent student, putting the exam centre in as part-time + the dates of the exam should suffice, regardless of what the UCAS system is saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Those messages don't physically prohibit you from adding an exam centre with dates May-June, they're just there to make sure what you've put in is right.

As an independent student, putting the exam centre in as part-time + the dates of the exam should suffice, regardless of what the UCAS system is saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fantastic, thank you! Do you know if you're automatically entered as a mature student?
Fantastic, thank you! Do you know if you're automatically entered as a mature student?

If you aren't 21 or older, you won't be classified as a mature student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
If you aren't 21 or older, you won't be classified as a mature student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be 21 the year of entry, but am I automatically classified or do I need to add it anywhere? Also, do you know if they are more leniant with entry requirements for mature students?
I will be 21 the year of entry, but am I automatically classified or do I need to add it anywhere? Also, do you know if they are more leniant with entry requirements for mature students?

You need to be 21 on or before the start date of your degree to be considered a mature student. Some universities are more lenient, some aren't - where are you applying?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
You need to be 21 on or before the start date of your degree to be considered a mature student. Some universities are more lenient, some aren't - where are you applying?

I turn 21 on September 16th. I'm applying to Durham, Bath, Queen Mary, Surrey, and Leeds :smile:
I turn 21 on September 16th. I'm applying to Durham, Bath, Queen Mary, Surrey, and Leeds :smile:

That should be fine, but to be sure, email each university and ask them if you'd be classed as a mature student.
Reply 8

Entry requirements can be lower for mature students as they have a lot of relevant work experience. At 21, you won't. So whilst technically you are a mature student, it won't make any difference yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending