The Student Room Group

would a tooth extraction make you look different?

I am getting one of my tooth removed very soon, and I'm wondering if it would make me look any different (I heard it does) although I am not sure.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
I am getting one of my tooth removed very soon, and I'm wondering if it would make me look any different (I heard it does) although I am not sure.

Here's how to find out:

1. Look in mirror
2. Smile
3. Observe tooth that will be removed for duration of period of smiling
4. If it can be seen you will look different; if not, you won't
5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 for laughing
Reply 2

Depends, where is the tooth extraction place situated and why are you getting it extracted?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Perol
Depends, where is the tooth extraction and why are you getting it extracted?

The back adult tooth ( I don't know what to call them, forgive me lol), I have an 'extra' tooth there so my orthodontist told me it's best for me to remove them.
Reply 4
The back adult tooth ( I don't know what to call them, forgive me lol), I have an 'extra' tooth there so my orthodontist told me it's best for me to remove them.

Check on Google images, are you talking about wisdom teeth? Also have you had braces before/ currently have braces and have you ever had any other adult teeth extracted? Then i can answer your question for you.

If you are talking about your wisdom teeth, or any at the back of your mouth, then obviously it will make no difference whatever to your appearance. How could it?
Reply 6

Wisdom teeth - they're not really visible, and it's common for those to be removed.
Reply 7
Original post by Perol
Check on Google images, are you talking about wisdom teeth? Also have you had braces before/ currently have braces and have you ever had any other adult teeth extracted? Then i can answer your question for you.

I currently have braces and no this is my first time.
Reply 8
Original post by Good bloke
If you are talking about your wisdom teeth, or any at the back of your mouth, then obviously it will make no difference whatever to your appearance. How could it?

I have heard it still being able to make a difference if it's the wisdom teeth, but i wasn't sure which is why I asked loool.
I have heard it still being able to make a difference if it's the wisdom teeth, but i wasn't sure which is why I asked loool.

You can easily test it. Ask the idiot who said it makes a difference to look at twenty adult strangers' faces and to tell you if they still have wisdom teeth. Then ask the people whether they do. Match what the idiot has said to the truth and you will know whether there is any truth in what he/she says.
Reply 10
You can easily test it. Ask the idiot who said it makes a difference to look at twenty adult strangers' faces and to tell you if they still have wisdom teeth. Then ask the people whether they do. Match what the idiot has said to the truth and you will know whether there is any truth in what he/she says.

calm down lol.
calm down lol.

I am perfectly calm. I would suggest that someone who claims to be laughing out loud every couple of minutes is more likely to be over-excited.
Reply 12
I currently have braces and no this is my first time.

Okay basically if you have braces and have to have any teeth extracted, your jaw (mandible) has grown more vertically than it should. This is the case for most people due to soft foods, mouth breathing and bad tongue posture. Thus there is less space for all your teeth and they become crowed. This includes the wisdom teeth which cannot come out straight. With the removal of back teeth, the facial changes are so minimal and you may not see them but, if the premolars are extracted you may see a flattening of the facial profile and the nose may appear larger if the teeth are retracted too far.
So basically I would say, it is too late to save these wisdom teeth, sorry. This vid may help. Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjZMQTd6Zg
Reply 13
Original post by Perol
Okay basically if you have braces and have to have any teeth extracted, your jaw (mandible) has grown more vertically than it should. This is the case for most people due to soft foods, mouth breathing and bad tongue posture. Thus there is less space for all your teeth and they become crowed. This includes the wisdom teeth which cannot come out straight. With the removal of back teeth, the facial changes are so minimal and you may not see them but, if the premolars are extracted you may see a flattening of the facial profile and the nose may appear larger if the teeth are retracted too far.
So basically I would say, it is too late to save these wisdom teeth, sorry. This vid may help. Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vjZMQTd6Zg

The answer I was looking for, thank you so much.
You are beautiful in ever single way, that tooth doesn't define your personality. You are awesome!!!
Reply 15
The answer I was looking for, thank you so much.

no problem,what's your decision?
Reply 16
I am perfectly calm. I would suggest that someone who claims to be laughing out loud every couple of minutes is more likely to be over-excited.

after googling it, it can actually make a difference- omg.
http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-removal-of-wisdom-teeth-254.aspx
http://medicinez.info/17840/wisdom-teeth-before-and-after-face/wisdom-teeth-before-and-after-face-dmhv/

help me D:
Reply 17
Original post by Perol
no problem,what's your decision?

I have no choice to remove it, my appointment is on Thursday and i don't want to do a last minute turn down. ahh well.
Reply 18
Original post by heyitscraziix
You are beautiful in ever single way, that tooth doesn't define your personality. You are awesome!!!

lol, why thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending