The Student Room Group

Another Racist Attack on a Bus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
Exactly. They think Muslims women are weak because apparently Islam treats them as second class citizens. Despicable. Muslims need to unite against islamophobia,everyone does and racism

May I recommend stop embracing medieval belief systems and start being a bit more vocal about those who do.
Original post by Captain Haddock
A great many more people consider it rude to listen in on other peoples' conversations, so why does it matter what language people choose to have their private conversations in? It's nobody's business. The vast majority of foreign people switch to English when people who don't speak their language are part of the conversation, anyway.

People of this country are getting pissed of with it that's why. We are heading towards a catastrophic turn to the right because we are allowing issues like this to fester and I for one do not want to see this happen.
Original post by BaconandSauce
I can see the confusion you are experiencing so I'll try again

a immigrant to this country who does not speak English in public is in the opinion of a lot of people being rude.

location location location. But are you suggesting we should assume all people who are not speaking English are tourists? If so how do you a) know this to be the case

But as I say you can gloss over this as much as you like but people are getting angry. I'd rather address this before we have incidents like the ones we have seen.

does that clarify it enough for you?

Expecting them to speak english at all times is pretty rude to be honest.

Don't think I will be appeasing xenophobes if that's ok.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Expecting them to speak english at all times is pretty rude to be honest.

which bit of 'in public' didn't you understand?

and I still haven't seen you explain how a statement I made calling this a racist incident makes me a racist
(edited 8 years ago)
People of this country are getting pissed of with it that's why. We are heading towards a catastrophic turn to the right because we are allowing issues like this to fester and I for one do not want to see this happen.

I have never personally witnessed anyone getting pissed off over what language people are having their conversation in, and there are a lot of non-native speakers where I live.
I can see the confusion you are experiencing so I'll try again

a immigrant to this country who does not speak English in public is in the opinion of a lot of people being rude.

location location location. But are you suggesting we should assume all people who are not speaking English are tourists? If so how do you a) know this to be the case

But as I say you can gloss over this as much as you like but people are getting angry. I'd rather address this before we have incidents like the ones we have seen.

does that clarify it enough for you?

Or, OR. People could not be needlessly aggressive and violent in situations where they can't be sure if what they are even angry about is true. Then we wouldn't have ANY incidents.

I daresay your "if they didn't do it, people wouldn't be angry" approach is the total reverse of your stance on say, what happened to Charlie Hebdo i.e "you have no right to react that way no matter what they did".

No, I'm not comparing the two, I'm comparing the two approaches to "insult" and "reaction" whereby both "insulters" are exercising their right to free speech.
(edited 8 years ago)
Guys Guys can we please get to the real issue of this.. The white man who RUNS THE BUS COMPANY. Bleeding these poor two ethnic minorities dry of their hard earned cash and putting people on the bus to film the impending confrontation

These fine ethnic minority immigrant gents are just successful examples of our cultural enrichment but the WHITE RICH MAN wants to have his fun like Julius Caesar with his Coliseum
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
May I recommend stop embracing medieval belief systems and start being a bit more vocal about those who do.

So you're openly saying you want their to be more islamophobia? Is it your business whether people choose to be Muslims or not?smh

Muslims are seen as different and weak,they shouldn't accept this and stand up against this nonsense.

they need to blow some buses up. they have an experience in that.
which bit of 'in public' didn't you understand?

and I still haven't seen you explain how a statement I made calling this a racist incident makes me a racist

Expecting people to only speak english in public is rude and a bit scary. So I understood everything about 'in public'. Have you ever been to Mainland Europe? Lots of people speak different languages in the same country over there.

Your continued lengthy defense of the knob in that video suggest some kind of sympathy with those angered with foreigners and the reason for being so. Then you are saying things like every should speak English at all times in public which is sinister. "I'm not racist but"... and so on. It's like the person taking the abuse must have done something to deserve it. At best you want me to appease xenophobes to stop them going on witch hunts, at worse you are one. Neither are good. Why are you so agitated by people thinking the abuser in that video is horrible?

That would only be a problem if you take the disgust at the abuser as disgust to more moderately prejudiced views you may hold. It's like when people get angry at protesters throwing eggs at Tories in Manchester. Whilst I think they are idiots I still can;t help feel like my views are being attacked since I probably agree with those egg throwing protesters on a lot of things.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Guys Guys can we please get to the real issue of this.. The white man who RUNS THE BUS COMPANY. Bleeding these poor two ethnic minorities dry of their hard earned cash and putting people on the bus to film the impending confrontation

These fine ethnic minority immigrant gents are just successful examples of our cultural enrichment but the WHITE RICH MAN wants to have his fun like Julius Caesar with his Coliseum

The guy doing the abusing doesn't sound like an immigrant to me.

But say for instance the old man said something racist to him and this started the argument could in this instance you understand the response?

oh, why stop at that? I'm sure the old one tried to rape the whole bus, and the black guy has stopped him.
I have never personally witnessed anyone getting pissed off over what language people are having their conversation in, and there are a lot of non-native speakers where I live.

I have haddock and I can see the mood turning ugly as we see here.
So you're openly saying you want their to be more islamophobia? Is it your business whether people choose to be Muslims or not?smh

No. I'm saying the Muslim community have been slow on the uptake to modernise.

Religion is a huge problem with conflict. The sooner people start turning their backs on sky pixies the better.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Expecting people to only speak english in public is rude and a bit scary.

Really expecting people of this country to speak the language of this country in public is scary!

The rest is based on this asinine assumption
The guy doing the abusing doesn't sound like an immigrant to me.

What does an immigrant sound like?
I have haddock and I can see the mood turning ugly as we see here.

Yeah, not buying it. If the seething disdain you describe was remotely significant I would have at least gotten a sense of it by now.
The lefties trying to turn the tables on white people yet again
Original post by DiddyDec
What does an immigrant sound like?

Uhm, 'not English accent'?
Uhm, 'not English accent'?

So Scottish or Welsh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending