The Student Room Group

Guy mood swings.

I work with a guy, he used to be very pleasant always smiling and happy, that was about twelve months ago but over some period of time he has changed. He has become more quiet (he's shy anyway) and he has days where it seems he's angry or upset and moody and just not the person he is. He seems more distant now, but he seems better dependant on who he is around sometimes. He has days where he is great, smiles, talks and laughing then the next day he will be totally diferent. He will come into work, with his head down avoiding eye contact and just seem quiet, moody and cold.
I don't know what to think? Am I taking it to personal?
He can be quite withdrawn sometimes so he seems difficlut to approach, plus I'm also shy
Any advice? What's wrong with him?
Original post by Anonymous
I work with a guy, he used to be very pleasant always smiling and happy, that was about twelve months ago but over some period of time he has changed. He has become more quiet (he's shy anyway) and he has days where it seems he's angry or upset and moody and just not the person he is. He seems more distant now, but he seems better dependant on who he is around sometimes. He has days where he is great, smiles, talks and laughing then the next day he will be totally diferent. He will come into work, with his head down avoiding eye contact and just seem quiet, moody and cold.
He can be quite withdrawn sometimes so he seems difficlut to approach, plus I'm also shy

Probably. His behaviour has absolutely nothing to do with you.

I don't know what's wrong with him, and neither will anyone else on this forum because we don't know him or what is going on in his life. He could be suffering from depression, or he could have some trouble going on in his life right now. It could be literally anything.

Depending on the distance between you and him e.g. age, closeness etc, you could ask him if maybe something substantial has happened to him over the last few months and explain to him that some months ago you noticed a change in him in terms of his personality. Try and be sincere/friendly and not overly interrogative.
Maybe his dog died.
I have the same issue as him.
Reply 5
Maybe he has low self confidence? Maybe he has mild bipolar? Maybe he has difficulties at home? Maybe he just has bad days sometimes? I wouldn't take it personally, all sorts of things can affect someone's mood, maybe ask him if he's okay and if he says 'yeah' and leaves it then I wouldn't press matters any further :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by liquity
Maybe he has low self confidence? Maybe he has mild bipolar? Maybe he has difficulties at home? Maybe he just has bad days sometimes? I wouldn't take it personally, all sorts of things can affect someone's mood, maybe ask him if he's okay and if he says 'yeah' and leaves it then I wouldn't press matters any further :smile:

He is not the most confident guy, he stares a lot, and he seems more cold with me, but maybe I'm looking into it too much? Even when he seems cold and moody, he's still polite, thanks me etc, and when I thank him, he says 'you're welcome'
why don'r you ask him?
Reply 8
Should I take it personally? He wouldn't say thankyou or you're welcome if he was upset with me?
Reply 9
He is not the most confident guy, he stares a lot, and he seems more cold with me, but maybe I'm looking into it too much? Even when he seems cold and moody, he's still polite, thanks me etc, and when I thank him, he says 'you're welcome'

Yeah defs not personal, I'd just leave him to it if I were you :smile:
I know this'll be an odd suggestion for why he might be behaving like this but he could be taking some medication leading to such symptoms. It will seem like a wild suggestion but some medicines have extreme side effects on mood and temperament; specially if they are used for an ongoing treatment.

Look up Roaccutane as reference.
Original post by beautyandthebeat
I know this'll be an odd suggestion for why he might be behaving like this but he could be taking some medication leading to such symptoms. It will seem like a wild suggestion but some medicines have extreme side effects on mood and temperament; specially if they are used for an ongoing treatment.

Look up Roaccutane as reference.

possibly, i know hes been under the hospital in the past.
another thing he came to work dressed smarter than usual a couple of days ago which was out of the ordinary..
He also seemed at one point seem to appear very anxious talking about a job, his throat went dry when he was talking, and he came across as nervous and anxious.he seems stress, quite unusual behaviour. Someone even told him to calm himself down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending