The Student Room Group

Kicked out of university for a criminal offence

Please only answer if you are serious. What is the likelihood of a university expelling an enrolled student for a conviction of GBH or ABH.
Very likely.
More details?

If it's a past and spent conviction they probably don't mind too much - assuming it's a one-off. But if it's something you've done during your time at uni then it could be quite serious.
I would guess depends on the circumstances.
They are likely to ask some questions either way...

But there is bound to be a confidential counsellor somewhere on your uni site you can go and talk to.
I would go asap and see what they say.

I'm assuming this is just something that is threatened could happen to you, rather than has actually happened.
Maybe you're over- worrying? Maybe it will get dropped?
If you're at a medical school you'll be instantly kicked out but providing it's a spent conviction you will not have to declare your conviction before going to university
Did you mention it on your ucas form when you applied?
Reply 6
Original post by Sjsjsj
Please only answer if you are serious. What is the likelihood of a university expelling an enrolled student for a conviction of GBH or ABH.

Extremely high, unless you have a very good reason why you shouldn't be.
Reply 7
I am currently on bail and I will most likely be going to court, charged with section 20 GBH. Please only comment from an informed position.
Definitely one for a uni counsellor.

Chaplains are tremendous at this stuff - ignore the religion thing, they just know who to speak to and are generally available long hours. And are usually really easy to get access to and non-judgmental (goes with the job spec I guess).

But any counsellor person will do.

You'll feel much better once you've spilled this with someone who can take up your cause for you:goodluck:
Reply 9
Original post by dancing sloth
Definitely one for a uni counsellor.

Chaplains are tremendous at this stuff - ignore the religion thing, they just know who to speak to and are generally available long hours. And are usually really easy to get access to and non-judgmental (goes with the job spec I guess).

But any counsellor person will do.

You'll feel much better once you've spilled this with someone who can take up your cause for you:goodluck:

Thank you
Original post by Sjsjsj
I am currently on bail and I will most likely be going to court, charged with section 20 GBH. Please only comment from an informed position.

Can you explain what happened?

s20 is very serious
Reply 11
Original post by tehforum
Can you explain what happened?

s20 is very serious

I was on my way home from a night out, very drunk, and bumped into a young man. He was with a group of friends. He and one of his friends were verbally abusive towards me.

He began to walk towards me, I instinctively hit him and it knocked him out. I was arrested straight-away as police were nearby. I was released on bail pending further inquiry the following morning, as the man needed scans to see if his jaw was broken.

It was caught on some very distant cctv that makes it look worse for me.

It is very likely to be classed as GBH and I am almost 100% certain that I am going to court.
Original post by Sjsjsj
I was on my way home from a night out, very drunk, and bumped into a young man. He was with a group of friends. He and one of his friends were verbally abusive towards me.

He began to walk towards me, I instinctively hit him and it knocked him out. I was arrested straight-away as police were nearby. I was released on bail pending further inquiry the following morning, as the man needed scans to see if his jaw was broken.

It is very likely to be classed as GBH and I am almost 100% certain that I am going to court.

Have you contacted a solicitor?

Could you not claim self defence?
Original post by Sjsjsj

My criminal law is a bit rusty, but you prob. need to ask whether you're entitled to legal representation.
You can ask Citizen's Advice Bureau.
But as a Uni student I would try to find someone onsite first.

The uni chaplain I know happens to have worked at a prison for years, so pretty used to this stuff.
That's obviously not same for all of them, but I do suspect you're not the first student in this situation . :noway:
This sort of thing is likely to have cropped up before.

Not saying it's good, just don't despair too early.

You've only been accused, not convicted remember.

Find someone to consult at uni.
No other way forward...
... and bailed is not convicted.
Remember that :yep:
Reply 14
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending