The Student Room Group

Black History Month

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
We learn our own history and the history of everyone we looted. Like Egypt, we looted them to ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As it should be. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to teach school kids all the history from every single part of the world. It's not very relevant to them at that time. If you want to learn about the history/culture of other places maybe do it in your own time or get a history degree or something.
It wasn't only Eygpt. This was looted from the benin empire : http://festactown.com.ng/all-about-festac-77/
Not that I'm upset about it unlike the article writer.
Original post by StrawbAri
As it should be. I don't think it makes a lot of sense to teach school kids all the history from every single part of the world. It's not very relevant to them at that time. If you want to learn about the history/culture of other places maybe do it in your own time or get a history degree or something.
It wasn't only Eygpt. This was looted from the benin empire : http://festactown.com.ng/all-about-festac-77/
Not that I'm upset about it unlike the article writer.

Of course it wasn't only Egypt, We looted everywhere we set foot. And now those great works are in a safe place for all to enjoy without fear of them being destroyed.
What is mainly taught is the nation's history. The reason ancient Egypt is taught is because the British took great interest in this particular civilisation and looted the **** out of it.

I'm sure in China they focus on Chinese history. And the same goes for every other country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm but China is far less multicultural than the UK. Black history is taught but on a limited scale mainly the slave trade but nothing else. My school briefly taught about the Kingdom of Ghana.
Original post by MrMackyTv
I totally agree with him. I find the whole thing quite stupid, why is it only black people who get a month dedicated to themselves? What about Irish people? They were slaves? They were treated badly? However we don't have Irish History Month do we? What a bunch of bullocks.
Why don't you create one then? Clearly no one has been bothered enough to so far.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko
I see no value in Black history month. Black people are extremely diverse, there are thousands different and distinctive cultures black people are from. To sweep every black person and their respective culture under the umbrella of Black history month is absurd, ignorant and quite disrespectful.

There's no white history month, no brown history month, No East Asian history month so why should there be a black history month?

The month of October should be called African American appreciation month, I'd see the importance for it then but even then blacks weren't the only discriminated minority in America and they still aren't currently
Do remember that the British, as well as a number of other countries, also enslaved Africans.
Original post by chocolate hottie
My argument is that it is racist to see history in terms of skin pigmentation.

But if we do, then practically all British history is white.

For the period between the Roman Conquest and the Second World War (97.5% of the last two thousand years) this country was pretty much entirely populated by white people, and history is a record of their sayings and doings.

But I don't see how pointing that out, seeing everything in racial terms, helps anyone white or black.

Doesn't it just promote division between races?

Look at the comments on this thread.

I understand your point but I don't think/hope Black History is dividing people but is giving more of an "equal" chance of other historical events to be known. =)
Reply 86
Why are people mentioning a month about Jewish oppression? I can understand the other groups being mentioned but the former is taught in pretty much every school and is part of the syllabus for crying out loud, so stop acting as if we don't pay enough attention to Holocaust, Jews etc.
Original post by goldenshades
Do remember that the British, as well as a number of other countries, also enslaved Africans.

So what? What relevancy does slavery have on modern African nations?
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Hmm but China is far less multicultural than the UK. Black history is taught but on a limited scale mainly the slave trade but nothing else. My school briefly taught about the Kingdom of Ghana.

Well the slave trade is a pretty massive part of British history.

China is incredibly multicultural it spans half a continent from the borders of India to the Pacific Ocean, about 3000 miles. It has roughly 55 different ethnic groups. That is hell of a lot of different cultures.
Original post by sevchenko
So what? What relevancy does slavery have on modern African nations?
It's easy to see how ignorant you are. My comment was in response to someone stating that Black History Month should be renamed to be known as African American History Month; if you had carefully read over the post that I quoted then you would understand this. Slavery clearly is relevant to today as the fact that a large population black people are still being treated as subhuman is a strong indicator of how many peoples' views on black people from that particular time period clearly hasn't changed a lot.
Well the slave trade is a pretty massive part of British history.

China is incredibly multicultural it spans half a continent from the borders of India to the Pacific Ocean, about 3000 miles. It has roughly 55 different ethnic groups. That is hell of a lot of different cultures.

I meant in terms of races rather than ethnic groups of China but yes the Slave trade is a major part of British history but I feel it gives a one-sided view in terms of Black History though. :/
I meant in terms of races rather than ethnic groups of China but yes the Slave trade is a major part of British history but I feel it gives a one-sided view in terms of Black History though. :/

A synonym of race is ethnic group.

We also learn about Martin Luther King Jr, Desmond Tutu, Madiba (Nelson Mandela) and many more influential black people throughout history.
A synonym of race is ethnic group.

We also learn about Martin Luther King Jr, Desmond Tutu, Madiba (Nelson Mandela) and many more influential black people throughout history.

Hmm oh because to me you can be from different ethnic groups but be of the same race (i.e black, white). This is why I prefer the term "race" rather than ethnic group.
Yeah this is good I just think we need a bit of range of history to be more known. :smile:
Why don't you create one then? Clearly no one has been bothered enough to so far.

I don't think I can...
Hmm oh because to me you can be from different ethnic groups but be of the same race (i.e black, white). This is why I prefer the term "race" rather than ethnic group.
Yeah this is good I just think we need a bit of range of history to be more known. :smile:

I don't know what is sort of history on the national curriculum because I never did it until GCSE and then I didn't study history.

But I was taught I wide variety of history, such as the Aztec, Romans, Greeks (all the Greek mythology, lots of it in Latin), shed loads on the French and then a ton of English history starting at around the invasion of the Roman Empire up until about 1950. Then with a healthy amount of other random stuff like the Mors, Genghis Khan, American Civil War, small chunks of Japanese history and so on. It was pretty much whatever my teachers wanted to teach us to make us more rounded individuals, not what the government thought was appropriate.
I don't know what is sort of history on the national curriculum because I never did it until GCSE and then I didn't study history.

But I was taught I wide variety of history, such as the Aztec, Romans, Greeks (all the Greek mythology, lots of it in Latin), shed loads on the French and then a ton of English history starting at around the invasion of the Roman Empire up until about 1950. Then with a healthy amount of other random stuff like the Mors, Genghis Khan, American Civil War, small chunks of Japanese history and so on. It was pretty much whatever my teachers wanted to teach us to make us more rounded individuals, not what the government thought was appropriate.

Oh really????? I was never taught this. I would have loved to learn about all of this! At GCSE all we did was learn about the Cold War which I guess was interesting.
It's easy to see how ignorant you are. My comment was in response to someone stating that Black History Month should be renamed to be known as African American History Month; if you had carefully read over the post that I quoted then you would understand this.

Please read up on the origins of Black history month. The concept was created by African American intellectuals

The fact that Slaves were taken from African countries has absolutely no significant bearing on most Modern Africans today it just a period of history that doesn't really deserve much attention.

Don't get it confused now, the impact of Slavery in certain African nations is recognised and acknowledged but it does not warrant a huge amount of discussion. Why? Because African Blacks are the majority in Africa, there aren't many white people there to press the advantage of "white privilege" or the institutional advantages slavery gave them (Except South Africa of course)

Slavery simply isn't a massive trauma for West African people because the effects aren't felt anymore. It just a painful reminder of one of the negative effects colonialism. There are much more recent self inflicted events which are much more painful to certain African ethic groups than slavery ever will be.

The effects of slavery are much more painful for American Americans and to a lesser extent Blacks in South America because they're minorities who have and are still suffering horrendous amounts discrimination because of their skin colour.

clearly is relevant to today as the fact that a large population black people are still being treated as subhuman is a strong indicator of how many peoples' views on black people from that particular time period clearly hasn't changed a lot.

This is nonsense tbh. The only Africans who care about what people think about them is Africans in diaspora and their children because of their minority status in western nations.

People who live and work in major African nations with growing economies are trying very hard to improve the lives of their fellow citizens, they don't need validation from white people, They're content within themselves.

How do I know this? Cause I have 100% Yoruba blood running through my veins
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh really????? I was never taught this. I would have loved to learn about all of this! At GCSE all we did was learn about the Cold War which I guess was interesting.

I mostly relied on the horrible history books to learn as at my school we only ever learned history relating to the country

Really, shed loads of Latin though. I did it for about 5 years, they started teaching it at age 8.

That is the joy of not using the National Curriculum. Teachers can teach what they are passionate about which always makes a subject more interesting.
Really, shed loads of Latin though. I did it for about 5 years, they started teaching it at age 8.

That is the joy of not using the National Curriculum. Teachers can teach what they are passionate about which always makes a subject more interesting.

Did you go to a private school? Or one of those indie schools with a completely different approach to learning?

Quick Reply

Latest