The Student Room Group

Sexist language banned at schools

Scroll to see replies

Political correctness gone mad! These new rules are silly.
Original post by J_89
The quotes on here remind me of when, in the US, they made it illegal to not offer someone your business because they were gay and there was outrage, LGBT groups put together an effective and hilarious campaign called: "Sorry I ruined your marriage."

Essentially, sorry I inconvenienced you by not allowing you to discriminate against me.

Yeah, sorry, you can't put me down for having a vagina. I guess this must be hard for you.

No. F OFF.

Like that top professor in UCL who just lost his job for saying women shouldn't be in labs because they cry and fall in love. Again, F OFF.

If you don't like ME, that's fine. But stop trying to make me feel like an idiot because I have a vagina.

I'm glad they've done this. Self-esteem in women (especially teenage women) lags massively below that of boys.

I don't care that it's a silly thing to ban. It's silly they have to ban it.

I've had at least 2 professors, who are there to TEACH us about the world, make sexist comments. One telling me that childbirth is the only particular skill women have and the other telling the class that he wouldn't get in a plane if a woman was piloting, even if there were a male co-pilot.

Yeah, hilarious. People say you're touchy. But then if he said the only thing black people are good for is shining shoes and people wouldn't be laughing then.

People who agree with this, don't let "PC gone mad" bull**** put you off. It's PC not to be a sexist, racist, homophobe. If you are these things, you're not being "non-PC". You're being a sexist or a racist or a homophobe. Call a spade a spade.

However will you cope as all the sexists, racists and homophobes return to their senses and remember that these epithets - flung wildly by young useful idiots indoctrinated since birth in political correctness - don't bother them after all?

You'll suddenly be shorn of all that girlish moral authority you think you've accumulated since the schemes of Marxist intellectuals, adopted by the State, were used to cobble together women, blacks, moslems, homosexuals et al and shepherd them into an identity politics movement which would seek to secure its power, once achieved, by the time-honoured tactic of outlawing dissenting opinions.

What the White Man giveth the White Man can taketh away.
Original post by She-Ra
The Telegraph have reporting that baiting other children using gender-based insults is now forbidden in schools.

Full story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11939909/sexist-words-school-playground-report.html

Insults that are being reported as banned are:

Did you experience or see gender-based bullying or insults in school? Do think this list cuts it?

You've forgotten girls and women who bully men by crying. I saw a case of it today and I believe it to have been entirely manipulative. Women have to take some responsibility for gender stereo-typing too.

As far as the insults go, I would dislike being called cupcake as much as I do dislike having been called flower, blossom or sweetheart. I've turned a job down because my potential boss called me blossom in the interview. If it's at all possible, I call them the same thing back and it sometimes makes them stop but I wouldn't ban it.

I admit to using the phrase 'man up' indiscriminately to both sexes - it's so succinct. I have given some thought as to its suitability but cannot come up with anything else that works.
Original post by Compost
You've forgotten girls and women who bully men by crying. I saw a case of it today and I believe it to have been entirely manipulative. Women have to take some responsibility for gender stereo-typing too.

As far as the insults go, I would dislike being called cupcake as much as I do dislike having been called flower, blossom or sweetheart. I've turned a job down because my potential boss called me blossom in the interview. If it's at all possible, I call them the same thing back and it sometimes makes them stop but I wouldn't ban it.

I admit to using the phrase 'man up' indiscriminately to both sexes - it's so succinct. I have given some thought as to its suitability but cannot come up with anything else that works.

Turning a job down because of that is pretty petty when people are desperate for work, it also seems quite shaming really.

I wouldnt mind as a male being called cupcake in certain contexts as in friendly, or as they see me as younger, if it was used to call me weak then yes, people have to get get thicker skins these days.

I have had old ladies call me flower or petal, its a term of affection its not due to gender, to make it a gender thing in that way is stupid and seems based on ego because it is saying "you MUST be calling me that because you see me as different as I am female"

You seem to think man up is ok, there is other terms you can use such as grow up if someone is being petty or grin and bear it if giving support even pull your socks up can be used.

The reason man up has become bad to me as in the past it was used more to say "things can be worse, just grin and bear it" now its used to more mean the person you are speaking to is weak and often to boost someones own ego.

I get angry when I hear people tell me to man up who are immature or arrogant since they havent experienced what I have.
Reply 64
RIP free speech :dong:
Good but it won't work.
Original post by FrancesAm
I think, this is a sexist term.

Does the sexist term take place before or after the spring term?
Reply 67
The continued feminisation of men and the defeminisation of women. Great :/
what man downed, cupcake sissie lesbian made this crap up
Original post by ReeceM1
Is this not just political correctness gone mad?

Political correctness aka 21st century censorship.
This is totally reasonable I don't get why people are getting mad

- Telling someone to 'man up' is harmful - it suggests they're being feminine anyone should be free to express emotion freely - which is constricted by telling them to "man up"

- "sissies" again has the same connotations that associating with feminine stereotypes is bad

- "cupcake" I have less of a problem with except that by getting used to it when you're younger increases the probability that you will say it in the future - and in that sense is often used to demean a person

- "Make them a sandwich" does have issues, not in the sense that it's a silly phrase (it is) but in the way it is used, most frequently as a 'comeback' to a woman to shut down what they are saying - voiding their opinion and quietening them

- 'don't be a girl' suggests that it is bad to be a girl. That's not good

- The last one I feel is less of a problem I don't know many people who care about 'gendered' lessons - the other way around men doing childcare is though

By stopping kids from thinking this is acceptable at a young age it can stop them from becoming more sexist in the future - I'm not saying there's a direct link between the two, but being so impressionable at a young age stuff like this could have an impact
Original post by EmmaChIoe
This is totally reasonable I don't get why people are getting mad

- Telling someone to 'man up' is harmful - it suggests they're being feminine anyone should be free to express emotion freely - which is constricted by telling them to "man up"

- "sissies" again has the same connotations that associating with feminine stereotypes is bad

- "cupcake" I have less of a problem with except that by getting used to it when you're younger increases the probability that you will say it in the future - and in that sense is often used to demean a person

- "Make them a sandwich" does have issues, not in the sense that it's a silly phrase (it is) but in the way it is used, most frequently as a 'comeback' to a woman to shut down what they are saying - voiding their opinion and quietening them

- 'don't be a girl' suggests that it is bad to be a girl. That's not good

- The last one I feel is less of a problem I don't know many people who care about 'gendered' lessons - the other way around men doing childcare is though

By stopping kids from thinking this is acceptable at a young age it can stop them from becoming more sexist in the future - I'm not saying there's a direct link between the two, but being so impressionable at a young age stuff like this could have an impact

Man up doesnt mean someone is seen as feminine, it means they are seen as weak or a wimp, weak does not = feminine

Maybe its that people assume feminine means female which is seperate, I know butch women or ladettes.

It's not the words that have to be changed but parents should not pamper their kids, I grew up knowing some things can be sexist (but little intent behind it) but more likely in bad taste and I knew not to say certain things to certain people, like I had a camp gay friend we would sometimes joke and call a poof but in good fun, he would say jokes back such as saying we were gay for drinking alcopops or something.

Some things have just become part of culture, like its ok for a woman to say women need to be protected from men as they are physically weaker (which means they get bonuses a man doesnt get) but then if someone said you throw like a girl its sexist when thats just saying women are not as physically strong, when even women can say to a guy that.
Reply 72
Some people don't like being called these things, but why ban them outright? Everyone knows that there are some things you can say to someone to offend them, but they don't say it. If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. Imagine if everyone said what they thought about everything to everyone. It would be madness.
Human's have been able to form groups and communities through maintaining relationships with others, even when they get irritated by something some has said or done. It would be a mess if everyone got upset about anything that offended them and took action against the person at even the smallest misdemeanour.
This is a slippery slope. Government enforced banning of words may start with removing phrases a number of people are offended by, but this gives precedence to much more to a new form of government control.

You know what, **** political correctness (and **** Corbyn while I'm at it).
Why is the government trying to breathe down our backs to govern what we say and think. This is worryingly similar to Orwellian Newspeak in 1984.
The governments in the UK and Europe are sliding left by the day. If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
I don't see the problem with saying man up calling people lesbians yeah fine thats not right just because they chose a STEM subject but man up I mean come on
Have not seen this language used at my school... subjects like maths/physics are male dominated (theres like 1 girl in a2 physics) but I don't think it's because of gender stereotypes and being called "lesbians", that's just the way it is. But that's just my school, don't take my word as gospel
Original post by chazwomaq

The article blithely assumes that the reason boys and girls take different subjects is stereotypes. It couldn't possibly be inherent differences in interests could it?

Not sure I can get too bothered by cupcake either - although it sounds a bit trivialising. It's a shame you think it's ridiculous though - you might think differently if you have kids when you're older.

The different subjects thing, though, is not a blithe assumption. It is interesting that it's the Institute of Physics that's issued the 'advice', because there does appear to be a real issue with A level physics and gender divide. There are statistically significant differences in the proportions of girls taking GCSE physics who go on to study it at A level between different types of schools - with around 25% of mixed state schools having NO girls taking A level physics, and numbers generally higher at all girls schools. Did you see the statistic about the relative proportions of girls and boys who get A* at GCSE who go on to study Physics A-level? There has been a wealth of research into whether the male and female brain are different - and sadly by the time you look at teenage brains, or adult brains, there are some differences (at the population level).

These differences are not apparent in children of primary school age, and there is no evidence that male and female brains are different at birth. Brain plasticity allows social conditioning to lead to differences. Social conditioning starts very young; so many experiments with a mixture of male and female babies show that adults tend to play completely different games with babies they think are male and those they think are female, based on what they are told the baby's name is. Girls sit still and are given dolls and teacups. Boys are encouraged to move about, to build things, and don't get given dolls or teddies - these are generally discouraged. So while if you ask 16 year olds about their interests, you might well find girls not choosing physics, while more boys do choose it, because of 'interests', it might also have something to do with societal pressures, and lack of confidence in teenage girls. Language can be very powerful; 'don't be such a girl' is an insult, 'man up' implies being more like a man is a good thing.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I don't see the problem with saying man up calling people lesbians yeah fine thats not right just because they chose a STEM subject but man up I mean come on

I have already said this a few times in this thread but man up is often used as a insult or to call someone weak and pathetic, I got fed up of hearing it from teenagers at uni, my brothers fiance was murdered and I felt low I got told "man up, people are on the streets" or "man up theres people in 3rd world countries" etc

Or when some insults my looks, intellgience, social background and I take offense its "man up and stop being pathetic"

Its often used by people who do not understand how they are hurting or insulting someone because they are judging on their own limited life.
I think those rules are very good. I'm generally quite extroverted, but I'm not the real me at school.

I'm basically a different person at my school lol, and if I acted like myself at my school I'd probably just get called 'gay' lol. So I only show the real me to a select few people and even then it's limited.
Original post by NT-57
Government enforced banning of words may start with removing phrases a number of people are offended by, but this gives precedence to much more to a new form of government control.
Why is the government trying to breathe down our backs to govern what we say and think. This is worryingly similar to Orwellian Newspeak in 1984.
The governments in the UK and Europe are sliding left by the day. If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

It's not legislation from Europe or the UK Government, it's guidance from the Institute of Physics...
In what way do you think it's like Newspeak? Doesn't sound like it to me.
They're not trying to remove freedom of speech, they're trying to reduce inappropriate gender stereotyping at a young age, in schools - children pretty much have to go to school, and teachers in particular can have a lot of influence in terms of what they allow children to say, and how they allow them to behave. They're not trying to make boys wear dresses or stop women wearing makeup. Parents can still try to bring up sexist kids if they want to, you can still say what you want in your own home, just not in front of other people's children. We've just about got to the point where overtly racist language is not acceptable in a classroom setting, now it's time for sexist and homophobic language to be challenged.
Hold on hold on hold up a minute here...
At the start of the article...

Teachers are to be issued guidelines from the Institute of Physics detailing the words which are to be banned from the playground
... Institute of Physics? What does this have to do with physics?

Quick Reply

Latest