The Student Room Group

Are girls attracted to intelligence?

Scroll to see replies

intelligence is nice, but isn't everything.
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
"Women may fall when there is no strength in men"

William Shakespeare

:o: :tongue:

:lol:
Original post by william walker
I am less interesting in intelligence or academic achievement than I am in how a woman thinks. How mentally capable she is.

Didn't realise you were a girl.
Intelligence and just generally having a lot of knowledge is extremely, extremely sexy. :colondollar:
Original post by United1892
Didn't realise you were a girl.

Obviously men can comment as well as woman. :colonhash:
Original post by william walker
Obviously men can comment as well as woman. :colonhash:

The thread is called, Are GIRLS attracted to intelligence. Girls is the operative word.
Original post by drowzee
Intelligence and just generally having a lot of knowledge is extremely, extremely sexy. :colondollar:

Pleased to make your acquaintance :wink:
Reply 47
I don't know, maybe on a student forum the answer is a resounding yes.

The most beautiful girls I know aren't with their boyfriends because of their intelligence. Those guys are 6 ft 3 ripped hunks.
Yes and no. Honestly just depends on the person.
Personally I know a lot of good looking guys that I'm attracted but would never get with (if I had the chance) b/c 90% of them have no motivation to succeed in life which for some reason I find really off-putting??
Smart=good grades=popularity=respect
Reply 50
Intelligence is probably the most important thing to me. If you're looking for a long term partner then it is pretty crucial.
Original post by SwedishRedhead
You're trying to assert your male dominance too, which makes you even more beta

Your post was by far the cringiest, most embarrassing thing I have ever read on TSR. It sounds like a weird fantasy of yours and I pity you a lot. But it did make me laugh for about 10 minutes, so thank you.
Original post by tanyapotter
Your post was by far the cringiest, most embarrassing thing I have ever read on TSR. It sounds like a weird fantasy of yours and I pity you a lot. But it did make me laugh for about 10 minutes, so thank you.

It's a meme, I'm a girl :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
x

Well, as Irene Adler would say ...

Attachment not found
I think intelligence is very attractive in a partner as it usually means you can have a decent conversation with the person :h: I wouldn't like it if the person was constanly lording over me with how clever they were though, so if he's as arrogant as you claim I'm not sure why quite so many girls like him :s-smilie:
I would want a guy who has the same level of education as me who can hold an intelligent conversation. I can talk purely in science or philosophy /ethics terms because of my a levels and I would want a guy to be able to also have that conversation wth me. The last guy I liked was really clever and we would have talks on the biology aide of the lion king and how kovu probably wasn't scar's son purely based on anatomy and genes
Original post by Anonymous
I know one guy in my school who is like a total braniac he got 10 A*'s at GCSE and got the best grades in our school at AS. He isn't ugly but certainly not some kind of supermodel plus he's scrawny as ****. I'd rate him around a 7 or something. Yet for some reason loads of girls seem to like him and he seems to speak to a fair amount of girls who seem to want him (granted half are underage). Before anyone says anything about his personality I seriously doubt it's that since he's a bit of a cocky dickhead and cried when his girlfriend broke up with him.

That leaves intelligence as the main factor for attraction. I think his ex claimed she was attracted to him because of the A*'s and the fact he had a big knob. Furthermore I've noticed that when I mention I'm applying to Cambridge girls suddenly seem far more interested in me than they previously were, despite it literally changing absolutely nothing about myself.

Girls is intelligence a big turn on for you? If so why? Is it the developing gold digger in you?

I think one of the main things you look for in a guy/partner is intelligence, mainly to see if you could have a proper and interesting conversation with them. And sometimes when quieter people are found to be clever that allows people to have an opportunity to talk to them and admire them. Intelligence alone is a very attractive trait too, think about celebrities such as Cumberbatch, Emma Watson and Stephen Fry - they all present as intellectuals which makes them seem superior and therefore being with them, or somebody intelligent, improves the reputation of the person now showing a romantic interest
intelligence is ****ing sexy
Reply 58
Original post by ivy.98
Girls are attracted to men who are passionate about something; the thing itself isn't as big a deal as your drive to be the best at it

They're really not though? You're not going to get with a guy at a night club because he's passionate.
I'm guessing it depends on the person. For instance say, someone who is relatively unintelligent will perhaps disdain intelligence as unnecessary; and I think both people would get sick of each other very quickly. Though suppose the less intelligent person who doesn't really value intelligence very much may do so to a degree as a marker for power or wealth? I dunno.

Ultimately it probably matters to the extent that they are at least fairly intelligent so can strike up a conversation, and will probs depend on the person judging.

Being reallyyy 'intelligent' can often be a turn off in some ways, as I assume they will be more likely to talk about particle physics or world affairs and random crap like that, whilst most people in our society will want to talk about... what happened on Coronation St., how footy went, or clothes etc. Intelligence also often comes at a cost of other skills, like social skills... or those slick dancing moves which girls seem to love so much (lol).

I read a journal a while ago sayin that sexual preferences are mostly subconscious - so may not actually matter all that much? Don't think it's something we tend to evaluate greatly - but rather just go 'they're hot' (or not).

Would think its more of a factor for relationship viability, rather than attraction specifically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending