The Student Room Group

Can I apply to medicine?

So, I didn't do that great in my AS levels last year, getting AAABC in Biology, History, French, graphic design and Chemistry respectively.

I dropped art and am doing the other four to A2 level. If I were to retake some chemistry modules and if I managed to get an A overall, could I apply for medicine for 2017 entry with my grades? They'd then be between AAAA-AAAB, with an A in chemistry and biology.

Also, do you think this would even be possible? Could I go from a C to an A in a year? To be honest I didnt work very hard last year, so it wasn't like I tried really hard and got a C (stupid, I know, but I can't change the past not).

I got BCC in the three modules for chemistry (they were high B/Cs), and am planning to retake the two Cs.

I know medical schools aren't keen on retakes, but if I did them within two years, would that be ok? Would they even know? If they would, where could I apply that would be ok with this?

Thank you!
Original post by Kugelmugel
So, I didn't do that great in my AS levels last year, getting AAABC in Biology, History, French, graphic design and Chemistry respectively.

I dropped art and am doing the other four to A2 level. If I were to retake some chemistry modules and if I managed to get an A overall, could I apply for medicine for 2017 entry with my grades? They'd then be between AAAA-AAAB, with an A in chemistry and biology.

Also, do you think this would even be possible? Could I go from a C to an A in a year? To be honest I didnt work very hard last year, so it wasn't like I tried really hard and got a C (stupid, I know, but I can't change the past not).

I got BCC in the three modules for chemistry (they were high B/Cs), and am planning to retake the two Cs.

I know medical schools aren't keen on retakes, but if I did them within two years, would that be ok? Would they even know? If they would, where could I apply that would be ok with this?

Thank you!

what are your gcse grades?

Thank you!

Don't worry, universities don't mind retakes as long as the retake exams have been done within the 2 year period. If you do it outside the 2 year period then there is a problem.
Reply 3
Original post by medicapplicant
what are your gcse grades?

4A* 4A 2B, I know those aren't spectacular, but I've been told they're fine (and I've done research into which universities are less bothered about GCSE grades) :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Don't worry, universities don't mind retakes as long as the retake exams have been done within the 2 year period. If you do it outside the 2 year period then there is a problem.

Ok thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
So you want to apply during a gap year?
That should be fine, as long as you get A's in chemistry and biology (which you can do with resits).
And if you're taking a gap year, don't forget to do something interesting and talk about it on your personal statement :biggrin:
And, of course, you'd have to have decent UKCAT and/or BMAT scores, but you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Arusya
So you want to apply during a gap year?
That should be fine, as long as you get A's in chemistry and biology (which you can do with resits).
And if you're taking a gap year, don't forget to do something interesting and talk about it on your personal statement :biggrin:
And, of course, you'd have to have decent UKCAT and/or BMAT scores, but you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, if I applied straight away I'd be applying for 2016 entry, but I'm planning on applying for 2017 entry during a gap year :smile: Do they mind resits within two years though? :redface:

I had an interview for a bank HCA on the A&E ward at my local hospital (where I volunteer), and haven't heard back yet (it was only a few days ago!) but I was told that after working for a while as a bank HCA it may be possible to work full time, so that's something I'm considering for my gap year! As well, I'm currently working at boots and about to have training to work on the healthcare counter which is nothing too fancy, but quite good to talk about!

I guess that isn't so exciting to some people (I'm really excited about the prospect of working as a HCA for a year!), but do you think it'd be enough so long as I can talk about what I've learnt? Surely they don't expect everyone to go off to Thailand etc?? I don't think I'll have the money! :colondollar:
Reply 7
Yep, if I applied straight away I'd be applying for 2016 entry, but I'm planning on applying for 2017 entry during a gap year :smile: Do they mind resits within two years though? :redface:

I had an interview for a bank HCA on the A&E ward at my local hospital (where I volunteer), and haven't heard back yet (it was only a few days ago!) but I was told that after working for a while as a bank HCA it may be possible to work full time, so that's something I'm considering for my gap year! As well, I'm currently working at boots and about to have training to work on the healthcare counter which is nothing too fancy, but quite good to talk about!

I guess that isn't so exciting to some people (I'm really excited about the prospect of working as a HCA for a year!), but do you think it'd be enough so long as I can talk about what I've learnt? Surely they don't expect everyone to go off to Thailand etc?? I don't think I'll have the money! :colondollar:

Oh yeah, sorry, didn't see the date
No, I've contacted some universities asking if they mind resits and all of them said it's fine as long as it's done within two years (year 12&13), so basically you just can't resit the whole year.

That's all really good experience, loads to talk about on your personal statement. You don't have to go travelling (i mean, you can if you want, even exploring your own country is fun) or anything, it's all about what you learn from your experiences.
As long as you're excited and you enjoy it, it's great.

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Arusya
Oh yeah, sorry, didn't see the date
No, I've contacted some universities asking if they mind resits and all of them said it's fine as long as it's done within two years (year 12&13), so basically you just can't resit the whole year.

That's all really good experience, loads to talk about on your personal statement. You don't have to go travelling (i mean, you can if you want, even exploring your own country is fun) or anything, it's all about what you learn from your experiences.
As long as you're excited and you enjoy it, it's great.

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you :smile:

Can I ask what you study/are applying to study?
Reply 9
Ok thank you :smile:

Can I ask what you study/are applying to study?

Applied for medicine at Barts, UCL, Imperial and King's this year, so scary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending