The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redferry
And yet people like him have conserved a million and more animals than you ever will...ironic isn't it?

By eating meat you're probably doing more harm to elephants, and African wildlife on the whole, than he ever will. Africa is the continent predicted to see the highest increase in temperature under climate change. Meat, especially sheep and cows, contribute a huge amount of emissions.

The guy likes killing for fun and I would bet my life that he also eats meat (probably a lot more than I do). I'm not sure why you're defending him?
Original post by 41b
Leftism is not an ideology of rationality - it is an ideology of emotions. Ultimately, every leftist, when refuted by scientific rationalism, will fall back on "But, I believe in equality."

Leftism is rational because evidence clearly shows a link between wealth equality and happiness across all income brackets.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The rich tend to be split, as others are, between the more liberal and the more reactionary. I tend to notice liberal rich people more maybe (or take more interest in what they have to say) and I agree that there are loads of 'don't give a damn' rich out there. Also liberal rich people can be quite tied to over consumption and dirty consumption and justify it to themselves. I think that's kind of the case with most of us who live in developed countries as well, in relation to the poor, the developing world and the environment.

I was just trying not to be too, too depressed about it. People tend to flake out on the environment issue because they feel despair. It's important to notice where there is progress, good attention on the issue, or a desire to change.

You say that but 99% of right wing MPs don't support any sort of environmental cause beyond nimbyism, which doesn't count and if anything is counter environmental.

People flake out on the environment because it goes against the prevailing economic theory let's be honest here.
No it's just promatologists are well known for that among the scientific community? They believe their study species to be above all others, even changing the definitions of words to suit their purposes and proove their point.

In short, monkeys suck.
Don't perpetrate this myth!!!

They don't even come close folks. If you're going to be veggie/vegan stick to vegetables. Fake veggie meat is in the main gross. Except Linda,McCartney sausages <3

Tofus good if cooked right. Totally gross if done wrong.
Reply 245

They don't even come close folks. If you're going to be veggie/vegan stick to vegetables. Fake veggie meat is in the main gross. Except Linda,McCartney sausages <3

what do you reckon about this

http://impossiblefoods.com/

Also, when raw, these burgers bleed just like real meat
(edited 8 years ago)
Irony alert.

^.^

I'm still a carnivore unfortunately, the only way I seem to be able to cut own on my meat intake is to replace it with quorn in meals where sauce provides the taste, like curry. I'm having to con myself.

You say that but 99% of right wing MPs don't support any sort of environmental cause beyond nimbyism, which doesn't count and if anything is counter environmental.

People flake out on the environment because it goes against the prevailing economic theory let's be honest here.

Which all the self styled moderate sensible labourites support! That's part and parcel of being a centrist, they support prevailing orthodoxies. God give me strength...

:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
So what this is just natural selection. If you can't adapt to the new environment you won't survive to reproduce

I agree that's the motive of the organised forces who mobilise for corporate profits against our wellbeing and our future good life on Earth and the Tory Party are part of that reactionary hate/greed movement. However, that doesn't mean that at a local level, the reason why people don't mobilise against such obviously disgusting and inhuman policies is to do with greed. Often it's simply misinformation from the above, confusion, despondency and feelings that nothing can be done. That's what I'm talking about. I'm not ignoring the big forces, but the ordinary pressures matter a great deal too.

Cameron can only ignore the environment and roll back the climate change agenda because propagandists for the corporations have been pouring out lies in the mass media about it for decades. We also need to take control of the mass media and put an end to the power of offshore oligarchs controlling the national thought processes.
Cry me a ****ing river seriously.
Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian
Original post by JD1lla
what do you reckon about this

http://impossiblefoods.com/

Also, when raw, these burgers bleed just like real meat

I'd have to taste it before I passed judgement! Looks good though.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm still a carnivore unfortunately, the only way I seem to be able to cut own on my meat intake is to replace it with quorn in meals where sauce provides the taste, like curry. I'm having to con myself.

Which all the self styled moderate sensible labourites support! That's part and parcel of being a centrist, they support prevailing orthodoxies. God give me strength...

:tongue:

I can give you some good veggie recipes if you like! My veggie lasagna is amazing :smile:
Original post by DarkMagic
The guy likes killing for fun and I would bet my life that he also eats meat (probably a lot more than I do). I'm not sure why you're defending him?

Because without the hunting industry elephants would likely be wiped out across most of their range. This is what people don't seem to understand. Yeah hunters are a bunch of ******s but there is no other way to protect that land, and the animals in it, unless people like you want to pay for it instead. Are you going to do that? Would you pay 40k to stop this elephant being shot?

People should put their money where their mouth is, if they really want to conserve these animals, if they really care so much, they need to pay for it. Sad truth of the matter. To stop species being wiped out by poaching you need anti poaching units. To make sure species survive in these numbers you need watering holes. To prevent the local community poaching they need jobs. All this costs an absolute tonne of money.
I'd have to taste it before I passed judgement! Looks good though.

..certainly looks the part. If the price is right...
Reply 256
Original post by CoolCavy
This is so sad. It isn't even that he poached the elephant to sell the ivory to feed his family. He did it for pure sickening 'fun'. Dispicable

If you don't like hunting of animals, fine. Say that. Making out that one particular case is somehow special or extraordinary because a certain elephant is of a certain size does your case no favours.

There's plenty of evidence out there that regulated big game hunting helps conservation and stabilises populations. That's the debate worth having.
Reply 257
Yeah hunters are a bunch of ******s but there is no other way to protect that land, and the animals in it, unless people like you want to pay for it instead.

Out of curiosity, do you extend this contempt for hunters to anyone who's ever shot a deer? Or a pheasant? Or, hell, anyone who's ever gone fishing?
Original post by L i b
If you don't like hunting of animals, fine. Say that. Making out that one particular case is somehow special or extraordinary because a certain elephant is of a certain size does your case no favours.

There's plenty of evidence out there that regulated big game hunting helps conservation and stabilises populations. That's the debate worth having.

i only highlighted this particular case bc it was on BBC news, i disagree with the hunting of any animal :colonhash:

i do know that, i made this thread primarily because i was disguisted by how proud the hunter looked.
if you want to have that debate make a thread about it yourself
Its perfectly obvious there is no real regulation in Zimbabwe, and "unique" animals which deserve better protection are crossing from one reserve to another and getting shot. Tags are being removed in all probability-they're not glued on.. The money paid is not stopping the poaching as the system is systemically corrupt. there is no accountability that anyone cares to trust either. Get rid of the government, put proper democracy in place, get the people working towards nurturing their heritage and who knows.

Its quite clear from this thread that only hunters, with shares in guns are getting excited, everyone else finds it sick and pathetic.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending