The Student Room Group

Incorrect fail?!

Hey!

I'm looking for some advise really. Today was my third time at my driving test and got a fail! I was completely gutted. Just looking for some advise really. I came back to test centre all positive thinking that I had passed! To be told I failed a few seconds later was a complete joke. The examiner explained that at the traffic lights where I was turning right I failed. These lights had a junction box in middle where I hung back behind the yellow box because I thought I wasn't allowed to be stationary? Is this correct? The exit I was wanting to take wasn't clear . The examiner explained that I failed as I should have pulled into box as can only do so to turn right. If it had any detriment to any road users I don't believe hanging back would have caused one serious fault?

On my driving sheet I have one miner due to having to pull forward on my left reverse. Anyone else believe that this shouldn't be a fail? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
My brother passed his driving test on the 6th attempt.
Original post by Jfrost93
Hey!

I'm looking for some advise really. Today was my third time at my driving test and got a fail! I was completely gutted. Just looking for some advise really. I came back to test centre all positive thinking that I had passed! To be told I failed a few seconds later was a complete joke. The examiner explained that at the traffic lights where I was turning right I failed. These lights had a junction box in middle where I hung back behind the yellow box because I thought I wasn't allowed to be stationary? Is this correct? The exit I was wanting to take wasn't clear . If it had any detriment to any road users I don't believe hanging back would have caused one serious fault?

On my driving sheet I have one miner due to having to pull forward on my left reverse. Anyone else believe that this shouldn't be a fail? Thanks

It depends on the circumstances - at my test centre, there was a yellow box where I couldn't be stationery if I was going straight ahead over it, but I could be if I were turning right and was blocked by traffic coming across - that's what my instructor said anyway!

The best preparation you can get is to go everywhere in your test centre and ask your instructor about any and all doubts - you will pass, unfortunately, sometimes it just doesn't go well, or you may get a serious fault because of something else around you which was unexpected - that's the way it is unfortunately. Best of luck for your next one though!
Reply 3
Ah thanks for your response! Makes sense but doesn't seem like a major problem to me just picky! Such a shame! I'll get on with it and hopefully pass! Only thing is next available test isn't till January !! :frown:
Reply 4
Normally if you're turning right you should enter the yellow box. The only time you are not allowed to enter them if your exit road isn't clear, by which I mean the road you're turning into should be empty -- it doesn't matter if the junction itself is clear or not, only your exit road. So if you're being held up by oncoming traffic (as is often the case) then it's fine to wait in the yellow box until the traffic has gone past.
(edited 8 years ago)
Highway code states that you mustn't enter the markings of a box junction UNLESS oncoming traffic is preventing you from turning right. To wait until it's clear before entering the box and THEN turning right is potentially dangerous as the situation may have changed by the time you move forward and prepare to turn right.
Reply 6
Original post by Jfrost93
If it had any detriment to any road users I don't believe hanging back would have caused one serious fault?

Anyone else believe that this shouldn't be a fail? Thanks
The reason you failed isn't so much to do with what effect you had on people that day, it's because you demonstrated that you had no idea what to do. You showed unfamiliarity with the rules and road procedure, so the examiner had to return a negative result so that you could gain further knowledge and tuition.

Regarding detriment to other road users, imagine if you were unleashed onto the roads with no idea how to clear a yellow box when turning right. Picture the scene: It's peak time and the roads are busy. You sit behind the box at a busy road junction waiting to turn right. There is a long queue behind you, all waiting to turn right too. The light would change and the queue behind you is all trapped because you wouldn't move forwards. Had you moved forwards into the box, at least one or two other cars would be able to follow you in and would complete the right turn when the light changes to amber. Because you didn't know the rules, you would probably be the only one to make the turn and everyone stuck behind you would be fuming as they would have to wait for another traffic light change. I sometimes get stuck behind old dears who do this and it really pisses me off.

There could be other rules of the road you are unaware of, but you wouldn't know any different unless you re-read the Highway Code or have the fault pointed out to you by your instructor. Did you not cover right turns at yellow boxes on your lessons?
Why do all learners say they shouldn't fail when they deserved it?

Suggest you read the highway code.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending