The Student Room Group

UCAS choices based on applicant success rates?

Scroll to see replies

Ignore the applicant success rate, from what I've been told/seen, they're not very reliable and the meaning varies per uni.

For example, I originally thought that it was everyone who applied and the success rate depends on who got an offer. However, when I asked about this on open days last year, I got different responses. It can be the difference between who applies and who actually ends up at the university on that specific course, excluding those who got an offer but declined it or failed in their results. A lot of the admissions staff said that the statistic isn't very helpful, if it was, they would specifically state it on their website/course.

A lot of them give out more offers than they say, since clearing/transferrals etc cause a lot of shake up. Provided you have the right grades for entry requirements, I'd recommend you go for it. If the worst comes to the absolute worst, you can simply grab a place during clearing after results, since a lot of people lose their places.
Original post by Juno
It's pointless getting an offer from somewhere you don't want to go. Put your favourite 5 down, and if it all goes wrong you can apply through [wiki]UCAS_Extra[/wiki] or Clearing.

I don't think Primary Ed will have any places in clearing though as it's so competitive.

Original post by ThatPerson2
I may be completely wrong here (please correct me if I am!) but I believe that applicant success rates are not just the % of people getting offers, but the % of people who applied who end up going. Given that you have 5 choices on UCAS it would seem likely that most would have < 20% success rate due to this.

For example, Warwick has (afaik) an applicant success rate of about 14% while Cambridge has an applicant success rate of 20.8%. This doesn't mean that Warwick is more exclusive or harder to get into than Cambridge, but more that fewer people who get Warwick offers firm and end up going there.

So basically, the applicant success rates shouldn't affect your choice too much. If you want to go to the university on that course and you have the grades, then apply!

Ah! That does make sense! 'Applicant success rate' is really misleading then if you're right, it just sounds like the number of people given offers out of those who applied. :/ So a 9% success rate could really mean that a lot of people decline offers and go elsewhere....
Original post by serebro
Ignore the applicant success rate, from what I've been told/seen, they're not very reliable and the meaning varies per uni.

For example, I originally thought that it was everyone who applied and the success rate depends on who got an offer. However, when I asked about this on open days last year, I got different responses. It can be the difference between who applies and who actually ends up at the university on that specific course, excluding those who got an offer but declined it or failed in their results. A lot of the admissions staff said that the statistic isn't very helpful, if it was, they would specifically state it on their website/course.

A lot of them give out more offers than they say, since clearing/transferrals etc cause a lot of shake up. Provided you have the right grades for entry requirements, I'd recommend you go for it. If the worst comes to the absolute worst, you can simply grab a place during clearing after results, since a lot of people lose their places.

But why excluding, surely that's the reason why the rate would be low ... oh I'm confused:sad:
I have the right grades already and a decent PS I think :sigh:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
But why excluding, surely that's the reason why the rate would be low ... oh I'm confused:sad:
I have the right grades already and a decent PS I think :sigh:

If you've got the right grades and a decent PS there's no point worrying about it. Just go for it, you'll have a decent chance of getting in.

Ah! That does make sense! 'Applicant success rate' is really misleading then if you're right, it just sounds like the number of people given offers out of those who applied. :/ So a 9% success rate could really mean that a lot of people decline offers and go elsewhere....

No, the applicant success rates on Whatuni, Which etc, are legitimate applicant to offer ratios - not the applicant to place ratios the above poster is speaking about.

Primary Ed is just a very competitive course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No, the applicant success rates on Whatuni, Which etc, are legitimate applicant to offer ratios - not the applicant to place ratios the above poster is speaking about.

Primary Ed is just a very competitive course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no:cry2::cry2:

A competitive course that attracts a lot of a very poor applications from 17/18 year olds with no work experience, no real awareness of what the job entails and whether they have the right skills and mediocre grades.

You'll be fine.
Original post by PQ
A competitive course that attracts a lot of a very poor applications from 17/18 year olds with no work experience, no real awareness of what the job entails and whether they have the right skills and mediocre grades.

You'll be fine.

Really? I don't know how people can apply to uni so unprepared ... and the courses must do lots of interviews (at which even rubbish applicants may shine due to simply being loud and confident:sigh:)
Really? I don't know how people can apply to uni so unprepared ... and the courses must do lots of interviews (at which even rubbish applicants may shine due to simply being loud and confident:sigh:)

Without work experience and a good understanding of a teachers job they wont even be shortlisted for interview.
So now that I know the success rate really is offers made out of those applied, I feel really really desperate and think maybe I should apply to a uni with a higher rate than Huddersfield's 8%. Becauseeee, I would rather end up going somewhere I'm not made up about than being rejected from all 5 and not having a place anywhere!:frown:
Aaaaaaarrrrrggggggggggh!
:no:
This really is a heart or head decision.:s-smilie:

You have A in A-level maths! That right there puts you miles ahead of most primary school teachers academically. There was a girl in my sixth from that wanted to be a primary school teacher and she used that to her advantage. You should too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You have A in A-level maths! That right there puts you miles ahead of most primary school teachers academically. There was a girl in my sixth from that wanted to be a primary school teacher and she used that to her advantage. You should too.

That is true, and that will get my foot in the door. I would be shocked if I didn't get interviews from all my choices. However it is the interviews that are the problem, you and PQ have seen how shy and bumbling I am!
That is true, and that will get my foot in the door. I would be shocked if I didn't get interviews from all my choices. However it is the interviews that are the problem, you and PQ have seen how shy and bumbling I am!

It's surprising how many people struggle with stuff like basic fractions....It's a real problem in primary teaching.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/feb/14/primary-teachers-fail-maths-tests

Most people that are good at maths go on to do something more technical. The same problem exists in physics. Not many go into something like primary school teaching. They will want people that can do maths. Sometimes certain things in sectors will trump others, this may be one of them. They will see you're smart, can do maths, problems like nervousness they think can be improved on the course. They are after all going to teach you how to teach, they don't expect you to be able to do it already.

Although I do appreciate the interview dilemma. It is a problem we share :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
I would rather end up going somewhere I'm not made up about than being rejected from all 5 and not having a place anywhere!:frown:

You're making this much harder than it needs to be. It isn't difficult, pick 5 courses you like and hope for the best. It makes no sense applying to a university you don't like. :erm:

Re interviews: could you not ask for a phone/Skype interview instead? Might make you feel more comfortable.
Original post by Snufkin
You're making this much harder than it needs to be. It isn't difficult, pick 5 courses you like and hope for the best. It makes no sense applying to a university you don't like. :erm:

Re interviews: could you not ask for a phone/Skype interview instead? Might make you feel more comfortable.

There is if I'd rather go anywhere than nowhere! :sad: Is that not understandable :confused: :colondollar:

And lol
There is if I'd rather go anywhere than nowhere! :sad: Is that not understandable :confused: :colondollar:

And lol

People who go to a university they don't like often end up dropping out - is that something you're willing to risk?

Why lol? I had a Skype interview. You won't know if you don't ask.
I just checked WhatUni success rates for my courses. Exeter and Southampton don't show them, but for the others I applied to:

Imperial: 52%
UCL: 85%
Oxford: 33%

I don't know whether to feel relieved or suspicious. The UCL one especially just seems too damn high, and it's my ideal uni!

And lol

Bear in mind that the success rates don't tell the whole story! For interview heavy courses, they will give out more interviews than offers; leading to what seems like a miniscule final offer rate but it's not as bad as it looks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theonetruequeen
I just checked WhatUni success rates for my courses. Exeter and Southampton don't show them, but for the others I applied to:

Imperial: 52%
UCL: 85%
Oxford: 33%

I don't know whether to feel relieved or suspicious. The UCL one especially just seems too damn high, and it's my ideal uni!

They have to give out more offers than places because of the calculus that takes place when applicants choose which to firm or insure. Many UCL applicants might choose to go elsewhere, thus bringing down their 'yield' (how many applicants who choose them) rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
They have to give out more offers than places because of the calculus that takes place when applicants choose which to firm or insure. Many UCL applicants might choose to go elsewhere, thus bringing down their 'yield' (how many applicants who choose them) rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're pretty certain this considers people who got offers instead of those who ended up going?

I agree though, most UCL engineering offer-holders would prefer going to places like Imperial and Cambridge over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending