The Student Room Group

Do you really need alcohol to have a 'good time' ?

Scroll to see replies

It is not the alcohol actually. It is the feeling of being high which is fun. Maybe fun is not the right word.
Reply 41
No, but it generally helps.
You can have plenty of fun without having to be under the influence of alcohol
It's true that I've had some brilliant times when drunk and especially the time when I was drunk AND stoned from eating hash cakes that I didn't know where hash cakes until I'd been told after I'd eaten them that that's what they were, but I think it's a sad state of affairs when people NEED alcohol to be able to lower their inhibitions and exhibit the social skills and lack of caring what others think required to enjoy themselves in a social situation.
Reply 44
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's true that I've had some brilliant times when drunk and especially the time when I was drunk AND stoned from eating hash cakes that I didn't know where hash cakes until I'd been told after I'd eaten them that that's what they were, but I think it's a sad state of affairs when people NEED alcohol to be able to lower their inhibitions and exhibit the social skills and lack of caring what others think required to enjoy themselves in a social situation.

Lowered inhibitions is probably the least fun part of alcohol.

Go to bed with Eve, wake up with Steve as the saying goes....
Of course you don't need it. That's an absurd statement, and one that I've never actually heard anyone seriously claim.

But it is extremely enjoyable. It tastes amazing and makes you feel incredibly happy and sociable.

you don't need music. you don't need sport. you don't need friends. you don't need sex. you don't need tasty food. But they all add something significant to our lives and you would be foolish to not make some form of effort to see what all the fuss is about. Alcohol is the same.
Reply 46
Original post by cole-slaw
Of course you don't need it. That's an absurd statement, and one that I've never actually heard anyone seriously claim.

But it is extremely enjoyable. It tastes amazing and makes you feel incredibly happy and sociable.

you don't need music. you don't need sport. you don't need friends. you don't need sex. you don't need tasty food. But they all add something significant to our lives and you would be foolish to not make some form of effort to see what all the fuss is about. Alcohol is the same.

and drugs

*Illegal drugs for you pedantic cretins who are like "But alcohol IS a drug!"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by ViewsFromSi6
Most people I know say that when they're drunk it's the best time of their life is this true or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. Teetotal. Can't see any advantages to drinking.

Alcohol makes you do stupid stuff. Not worth it. Also very expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i don't need it for a good time always but my best nights out i've been drunk.
Reply 49

Why should I try alcohol? I see no value in it. If I go to a pub I'll order a lime and soda or lemonade or something. I don't feel that I'm missing out by not drinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aha, until I cam to uni I never really got alcohol and thought you could have a great time without it, but since being here I've changed my mind. I think when you're surrounded by so many new people though alcohol definitely helps you loosen up, perhaps if you're surrounded by close friends you've known a long time alcohol isn't as nessesary.
Original post by Katty3
Why should I try alcohol? I see no value in it. If I go to a pub I'll order a lime and soda or lemonade or something. I don't feel that I'm missing out by not drinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't ask Cole that...

That's like his big nuclear red button.
Reply 52
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should try alcohol for the same reason I should try a lime and soda.
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one is trying to force you to. However the vast, vast majority of people who try it enjoy it and are happy they started drinking it. Whether or not you think that's a reason to try it is entirely up to you.
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

boring
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Don't ask Cole that...

That's like his big nuclear red button.

Be nice, now.
Reply 56
No-one is trying to force you to. However the vast, vast majority of people who try it enjoy it and are happy they started drinking it. Whether or not you think that's a reason to try it is entirely up to you.

Alcohol is a psychoactive drug. It damages the brain and can actually make people quite ill.

I have very poor coordination so why would I want to use something that will make it worse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by JD1lla
You should try alcohol for the same reason I should try a lime and soda.

What reasons that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Alcohol is a psychoactive drug. It damages the brain and can actually make people quite ill.

I have very poor coordination so why would I want to use something that will make it worse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well... I don't wish to argue, but I think if you actually did some research you would find all those things are myths.
Reply 59
Original post by Katty3
What reasons that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tastes good.

Quick Reply

Latest