The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehforum
I think it's a case of avoiding double standards, even though doctors would be able to exercise their judgement. I can imagine a huge uproar if doctors were able to wear veils, but patients weren't.

It's not really a double standard. It'd be more like, doctors are the ones with the authority to decide whether a face cover can be worn or not in a given situation. Not that doctors can wear them but patients can't.

If you really want to avoid double standards, you need to also make sure that, other than in an operating theatre, you're not having different rules for face masks and veils, since they literally do the same thing.

Putting aside the assertion that wearing a face mask in lieu of a veil is absurd, then it would lead to the ban of wearing face masks for its intended purpose.

Of course not, they could still be worn in the operating theatre.
Original post by tazarooni89
It's not really a double standard. It'd be more like, doctors are the ones with the authority to decide whether a face cover can be worn or not in a given situation. Not that doctors can wear them but patients can't.

If you really want to avoid double standards, you need to also make sure that, other than in an operating theatre, you're not having different rules for face masks and veils, since they literally do the same thing.

Of course not, they could still be worn in the operating theatre.

Oops I meant it'd lead to a ban for moments when they're not in the operating theatre which is excessive and stupid.
So then by this logic, surgeons should be banned from wearing masks in all situations other than those in which they're necessary for hygiene purposes. But they're not.

Like do you think surgeons permanently wear the mask over their faces lol?

Muffled words > "Step into my office"

? lol
Original post by tehforum
Oops I meant it'd lead to a ban for moments when they're not in the operating theatre which is excessive and stupid.

Well then it's just as stupid to ban veils, since they cause no more harm at those moments than a surgical mask.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Like do you think surgeons permanently wear the mask over their faces lol?

Whether they actually do or don't is irrelevant. The question is regarding what they are permitted or not permitted to do.

Other than in an operating theatre where a surgical mask is needed for hygiene, there is no reason why a surgical mask should be permitted in a situation where a veil isn't.
Whether they actually do or don't is irrelevant. The question is regarding what they are permitted or not permitted to do.

Other than in an operating theatre where a surgical mask is needed for hygiene, there is no reason why a surgical mask should be permitted in a situation where a veil isn't.

No, its not irrelevant. Firstly no sane human would wear a mask unless religious or superstitious when addressing somebody, especially in something so important like a face to face consultation

Secondly, if they did.. the patient would say "hey wtf are you doing? can you remove your mask so i can see your face and actually hear what you are saying? Thanks Bro

Lastly im pretty sure if a surgeon was insistent on wearing his mask in his office during consultations he would be struck off quicker than you can hashtag "Maskophobia"
(edited 8 years ago)
Can we have the "No, because they are an infection risk" answer?

Assuming they are.
Original post by Josb
You wouldn't have any problem speaking with people wearing this?

"I'm very competent."

(edited 8 years ago)
I have never seen somebody bat so hard and persistently with such shameless lack of logic, thought or rationality as Tanzarooni89 has in this thread equating A surgeons mask to the veil (And believe me i engage some right neanderthals).

Incredible :smile:
Whether they actually do or don't is irrelevant.

It's fundamental to the argument
Reply 210
Original post by _icecream

Doctors only wear this mask in the operation room or with patients with special condition. They normally don't wear it.

And if you had read the thread, you would have seen many posts dismissing the comparison between a medical mask worn for examinations/operations, and a veil worn for ideological reasons.
I did not mean to come across as disrespectful against anyone on this thread.

The point I'm making is that I don't think it's very appealing to go into your local doctor surgery and be treated by someone who's face you can't even see, I can't speak for everyone else but personally I would feel very intimidated and uncomfortable about that.

My comment about people coming over here and throwing their religion around wasn't meant to be as insulting as it came across, I just feel like there's a lot of double standards going on.

But of course, it's not illegal to wear the full burka in the uk there for it would be kind of unfair for me to judge those who decide to wear it, it is on the other hand frustrating how if we went to their country it would be a whole different story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, its not irrelevant. Firstly no sane human would wear a mask unless religious or superstitious when addressing somebody, especially in something so important like a face to face consultation

Secondly, if they did.. the patient would say "hey wtf are you doing? can you remove your mask so i can see your face and actually hear what you are saying? Thanks Bro

Lastly im pretty sure if a surgeon was insistent on wearing his mask in his office during consultations he would be struck off quicker than you can hashtag "Maskophobia"

So then you're saying that surgical masks should be banned (other than when needed in the operating theatre)?

I'm really just looking for consistency between the way the two are treated by the rules - except for that one scenario when surgical masks are needed.
Original post by BaconandSauce
It's fundamental to the argument

Actually it's not, because the argument is about what people are allowed to do, not what they already do.
Original post by JackFletch
As long as it does not intefere with a person recieving medical attention or cause any safety concerns I can't see why not

you would seriously let someone you cant see, cut you open and inject you and stuff?
I realise surgeons wear masks in operations, but you get to meet them beforehand and without the personal input, a hospital would be a robotic nightmare.
So then you're saying that surgical masks should be banned (other than when needed in the operating theatre)?

I'm really just looking for consistency between the way the two are treated by the rules - except for that one scenario when surgical masks are needed.

We have a thing called common sense. Not everything has to be written down as a rule for people to understand what is or what is not acceptable.

If there becomes a craze of surgeons wearing their operating facemasks when not necessary that is problematic for staff / patients and they refuse to remove their masks when not appropriate then it will be stopped immediately.

I actually saw my consultant today and had he been wearing his surgical facemask lol, i would have told him to remove it. Pretty simple stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elliemayxo

But of course, it's not illegal to wear the full burka in the uk there for it would be kind of unfair for me to judge those who decide to wear it, it is on the other hand frustrating how if we went to their country it would be a whole different story.

No it wouldn't, you would be free to wear the burka in "their country" too. :smile:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
No it wouldn't, you would be free to wear the burka in "their country" too. :smile:

I can't rep twice, but I must say that was very good. :mmm:
Original post by elliemayxo
No they shouldn't. It's intimidating. Don't come here with your religion when we can't do the same with ours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you tell the same to doctors who walk in surgeries with their faces covered and only eyes visible too?
We have a thing called common sense. Not everything has to be written down as a rule for people to understand what is or what is not acceptable.

If there becomes a craze of surgeons wearing their operating facemasks when not necessary that is problematic for staff / patients and they refuse to remove their masks when not appropriate then it will be stopped immediately.

I actually saw my consultant today and had he been wearing his surgical facemask lol, i would have told him to remove it. Pretty simple stuff.

It may not need to be written down as such. But you're still saying that a surgeon wearing a face mask, other than at at the specific time when its needed, is not acceptable right?

Latest

Trending

Trending