The Student Room Group

It's official UK's global presence is in tatters

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
What are you concerned about?

*face palm*
Original post by Bill_Gates
*face palm*

Do you don't actually know what you're concerned about?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
We've actually shown more independence than we have for a long time by going against American wishes to establish a trade relationship with China, get ourselves involved in their regional infrastructure bank, etc.

I can't think that it's a bad thing that we've finally shown that we won't just do whatever the USA's geopolitical strategy requires of us.

I think that people hate on the USA too much. Normally our interests are aligned in foreign policy.

That being said when it comes to China and India (2 of the 4 big powers by 2050) i'd be inclined to ignore US foreign policy as we have. Not to prove some point though but simply because they are too important.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do you don't actually know what you're concerned about?

Did that sentence make sense? LOL
No one was expecting the shift to be so fast.

The decline has been long, slow and gradual. But decisive,

How can you not have noticed??

Oh wait, you are the guy who wants to move the whole population of Wales to Anglesey to make room for two million Syrian Immigrants aren't you? (I'll post a link to the thread where he implied that if anyone cares!)

My apologies, working out what is actually going on in the world isn't your strong suit... :smile:
Original post by Rakas21

That being said when it comes to China and India (2 of the 4 big powers by 2050) i'd be inclined to ignore them as we have. Not to prove some point though but simply because they are too important.

We are not ignoring China, for better or worse.

Watch this space over the next few days...
Original post by chocolate hottie
We are not ignoring China, for better or worse.

Watch this space over the next few days...

I meant ignore the USA with regards to China and India.
The decline has been long, slow and gradual. But decisive,

How can you not have noticed??

Oh wait, you are the guy who wants to move the whole population of Wales to Anglesey to make room for two million Syrian Immigrants aren't you? (I'll post a link to the thread where he implied that if anyone cares!)

My apologies, working out what is actually going on in the world isn't your strong suit... :smile:

I've been watching it closely, thanks.

Now we need the population's expectations put in line with the global economy and our place in it. More refugees will help create the labour force we need :wink:
I've been watching it closely, thanks.

Now we need the population's expectations put in line with the global economy and our place in it. More refugees will help create the labour force we need :wink:

My apologies, you are right.

In 1914 we controlled the biggest Empire the world has ever seen. We ruled a quarter of the world's land mass and 20% of the global population owed allegiance to our King.

Things aren't quite the same just now, but if we import two million Syrians in 2015 we will be right back up there again, as top nation on the planet!

You guys on the left are clever. No flies on you...
My apologies, you are right.

In 1914 we controlled the biggest Empire the world has ever seen. We ruled a quarter of the world's land mass and 20% of the global population owed allegiance to our King.

Things aren't quite the same just now, but if we import two million Syrians in 2015 we will be right back up there again, as top nation on the planet!

You guys on the left are clever. No flies on you...

Erm no. You know your position in the world. Take what you can get and take the refugees.

It's in line with the rest of the population.

btw 1914?! blimey you do go back don't you.
Original post by Rakas21
I think that people hate on the USA too much. Normally our interests are aligned in foreign policy.

That being said when it comes to China and India (2 of the 4 big powers by 2050) i'd be inclined to ignore US foreign policy as we have. Not to prove some point though but simply because they are too important.

I'm not anti-American, I just quite like that we're showing a little autonomy. But I agree, I think it is certainly pragmatically justified too.

Bill_Gates

Sources mentioned above in here:

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/09/cameron-and-osbornes-epic-kowtow-to-china/

see paras 5-7, and then 8 for sources.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not anti-American, I just quite like that we're showing a little autonomy. But I agree, I think it is certainly pragmatically justified too.

Sources mentioned above in here:

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/09/cameron-and-osbornes-epic-kowtow-to-china/

I love that picture, sums up the UK's position.
We:

- Use to take orders from the US but we can't afford to do that any more
- We have a cushy relationship with the Saudis (poor human rights record, notable funding for all sorts)
- Now we put out the red carpet for China (poor human rights record) and now we NEED Chinese investment for a nuclear plant.

Has the UK lost any back bone or any influence over the global economy? Or will we be told how to run things from now on!

We have been told what to do since the 1940s when the richest country in the world (uk) spent all its money on two world wars and was then forced to dismantle its empire without proper Marshall aid unlike the other protagonists from WWII

Countries don't get much more powerful than ours but we are dwarfed by the two which are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
We have been told what to do since the 1940s when the richest country in the world (uk) spent all its money on two world wars and was then forced to dismantle its empire without proper Marshall aid unlike the other protagonists from WWII

Countries don't get much more powerful than ours but we are dwarfed by the two which are

Posted from TSR Mobile

There seems to be a degree of selective memory by a lot on this post.

Bitterness and self loathing are quite prevelant.
I love that picture, sxums up the UK's position.

Would you prefer we didn't trade with China?
There seems to be a degree of selective memory by a lot on this post.

Bitterness and self loathing are quite prevelant.

Nothing is incorrect in what's said so make a proper comment detailing what is incorrect (without it being an essay)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you prefer we didn't trade with China?

Don't you know? If we refused to trade with China and stamped our feet a little, they'd bloody well get themselves sorted. They'd be a shining beacon of liberal democracy and the rule of law within about 5-10 years.
They've learnt English to sell us strategic assets we need to survive. They are buying up our corporations, debt. Soon they will have influence over our energy, trains etc.

They are buying assets outside their country because their economy is failing. The houseing market has failed. I live in China and I only have to look out of the window to see empty high rises. The stock market is crashing, the domestic consumption is very low for a country of over 1 billion. Their government is in power based on the promise of economic growth. I don't want to see what happens when they fail to live up to their promises.
Don't you know? If we refused to trade with China and stamped our feet a little, they'd bloody well get themselves sorted. They'd be a shining beacon of liberal democracy and the rule of law within about 5-10 years.

China's come along way over the last fifteen years, socially, democratically and economically.

They've lifted 600 million people out of poverty.
China's come along way over the last fifteen years, socially, democratically and economically.

They've lifted 600 million people out of poverty.

I don't disagree with you on China's economic development. I don't know about socially. Democratically, I think you're dreaming.

In case you couldn't tell, my first post was not meant in an entirely serious manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending