The Student Room Group

Query about predicted grades.

Hi all i'm new so please forgive me but i'm a little confused about UCAS and predicted grades.

The short version is ..
My son is applying to Uni for enrolment 2016.

His AS were AAAD (in order, Politics, English, History and Maths) He's now dropped Maths at A2.

I've been over seeing his UCAS application however have not wanted to be too controlling/overbearing so a lot of what I know is word of mouth from him.

I know that applications are based somewhat/a lot on AS grades and/or predicted grades. He tells me that 'the government have organised his predictions based on his previous attainment" and that his application will be sent with BBB predictions for A2.
Surely this can't be right?!

His 1st choice Uni is offers AAA so if his school send of such low grades he has NO hope of being considered.
But with achieving AAA as AS, surely AAA at A2 is realistic.

I'm a little confused, and don't want to contact his school to undermine him.

Can anyone shed any light and help me. Please??

Scroll to see replies

Speak to his teachers, if you get AAA at AS you should get AAA predictions.
Teachers normally set the predicted grades not the government.
Reply 2
Original post by fraggle77
Hi all i'm new so please forgive me but i'm a little confused about UCAS and predicted grades.

The short version is ..
My son is applying to Uni for enrolment 2016.

His AS were AAAD (in order, Politics, English, History and Maths) He's now dropped Maths at A2.

I've been over seeing his UCAS application however have not wanted to be too controlling/overbearing so a lot of what I know is word of mouth from him.

I know that applications are based somewhat/a lot on AS grades and/or predicted grades. He tells me that 'the government have organised his predictions based on his previous attainment" and that his application will be sent with BBB predictions for A2.
Surely this can't be right?!

His 1st choice Uni is offers AAA so if his school send of such low grades he has NO hope of being considered.
But with achieving AAA as AS, surely AAA at A2 is realistic.

I'm a little confused, and don't want to contact his school to undermine him.

Can anyone shed any light and help me. Please??

His teachers set his predictions and include it in his reference. Ask his form tutor or head of year what he is predicted.

It's possible his original *target* grades were BBB based on his GCSEs. But they will revise that for UCAS purposes to reflect his (good) AS results.

The "low" target allows the school to claim a high "added value" score in the school league tables. It's quite common...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you for your responses. :-)

I've asked him if he means target grades but he assures me his predictions are BBB.
The research I've done tend to have predictions at (or slightly above) AS ... i'm not sure if he/or I have our wires crossed.

(and to be honest 'but with my proud mummy head firmly in place' BBB based on his GCSEs seems low - he got 10 As & 6 Bs) :-S

I've asked him if he means target grades but he assures me his predictions are BBB.
The research I've done tend to have predictions at (or slightly above) AS ... i'm not sure if he/or I have our wires crossed.

(and to be honest 'but with my proud mummy head firmly in place' BBB based on his GCSEs seems low - he got 10 As & 6 Bs) :-S

They shouldn't be using his GCSEs to predict his final A Level grades -- it's supposed to be based on AS performance, at least until this year (A Level reforms might throw a spanner in the works from next year onward).

If he's really being serious about it, I suggest you talk to his referee about this. His school shouldn't be jeopardising his chances of getting into university just to strengthen their own reputation in league tables. AAA predictions based on this AS results seem completely reasonable, unless they were fairly low As.
Reply 5

At GCSE my son had A*s, As, a B and a C. His A-level target was BBB, he achieved A*A*A :wink:

Honestly, it would be best to ask his teachers (and challenge it if BBB is true). He will need predictions in line with typical offers or he'll be at risk of getting rejections...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it,

I know contacting his school cut's out the middle man (so to speak), and would clarify issues.
But I am, by nature, VERY controlling and wanted him to be in charge of this ... seeing as he will be living independently soon. :-(
Reply 7
Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it,

I know contacting his school cut's out the middle man (so to speak), and would clarify issues.
But I am, by nature, VERY controlling and wanted him to be in charge of this ... seeing as he will be living independently soon. :-(

Lol. Presumably there will be a parents evening before he sends it off?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Lol. Presumably there will be a parents evening before he sends it off?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

No there isn't. His submission is 22/10 :-(
I've emailed his Head of sixth form (who is also his English teacher) and asked for clarification.
And I've spoken to him again and he's SO upset and stressed with the whole thing ... and thinks his BBB is because 'he' feels that's all he's worth.

This is all so heartbreaking. Why can't we just do it for them?? lol
Reply 9
Hi

No there isn't. His submission is 22/10 :-(
I've emailed his Head of sixth form (who is also his English teacher) and asked for clarification.
And I've spoken to him again and he's SO upset and stressed with the whole thing ... and thinks his BBB is because 'he' feels that's all he's worth.

This is all so heartbreaking. Why can't we just do it for them?? lol

The UCAS deadline date is 15 January, so 22/10 is just an internal deadline for the school. It's just to make sure they have time to write the Reference and work out predictions etc.

And reassure him about BBB. Tell him about my example :wink:

It'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Yikes yes, thank you so much, this has just prompted me to enquire if my own son has been given any deadline by school and it is the same date as yours... he has a key activity on during half term which I imagined he should wait to reflect upon before finalising his PS rather than just saying he is doing it/has done it.

He thinks he is on top of everything and ready to hit the button (or whatever it is you do)

I'd suggest that if your son is distressed by his understanding of the situation, as he sounds to be, then it is not inappropriate to contact the school to clarify - for this to have come as a shock suggests that communication between school and student hasn't worked somehow (I am not best pleased not to have had a jolly text from my son's school about UCAS deadline, they are usually very good). Depends on what he is applying for and where but I have come across a reassuring number of places who say they will give aspirational offers, and universities will have the evidence of your son's very solid actual achievements. I can see that your real worry is the psychological impact on him of an unexpected and unwelcome reassessment of his expectations... otherwise, what are you looking at, worst case - UCAS adjustment or applying next year with actual grades?
Reply 11
Original post by dirtmother
Yikes yes, thank you so much, this has just prompted me to enquire if my own son has been given any deadline by school and it is the same date as yours... he has a key activity on during half term which I imagined he should wait to reflect upon before finalising his PS rather than just saying he is doing it/has done it.

He thinks he is on top of everything and ready to hit the button (or whatever it is you do)

I'd suggest that if your son is distressed by his understanding of the situation, as he sounds to be, then it is not inappropriate to contact the school to clarify - for this to have come as a shock suggests that communication between school and student hasn't worked somehow (I am not best pleased not to have had a jolly text from my son's school about UCAS deadline, they are usually very good). Depends on what he is applying for and where but I have come across a reassuring number of places who say they will give aspirational offers, and universities will have the evidence of your son's very solid actual achievements. I can see that your real worry is the psychological impact on him of an unexpected and unwelcome reassessment of his expectations... otherwise, what are you looking at, worst case - UCAS adjustment or applying next year with actual grades?

Hi,

Thank you. I'm glad my post has helped another in some way :-)

He's just been adamant of hi prediction so I've not thought to question it, but it can't be right to be under marked from your AS.
Anyway i'll find out when they respond. :-)
My son wants to study Politics and international relations (1st choice is Bristol - but only if the AAA is a realistic one).

I've just never seen him this anxious, even with GCSEs he was fine(ish). And as a parent we just want them to be happy. I'm going o be SO gray after this!!!
@fraggle77, just don't let him feel complacent at all with that.

This is an injustice, and his predictions should CLEARLY be higher than BBB with AAA at AS. Talk to the school if your son won't, and make sure they change it, unless they give you a damn good reason why BBB is an acceptable prediction (which it isn't).

Good luck with fixing it :wink:
Reply 13
As I said, BBB will *not* be the final prediction for UCAS if he already has AAA at AS. Assuming of course he's on top of his classwork and homework so far in Y13...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Thanks everyone. I'm very grateful for you advice and reassurance 😀
Is there any news? I'm in a similar position to you and I'm finding that I'm having to sit on my hands! Is it just boys? My son got an A at AS and his teacher said she'd predict him an A but then said you'll probably get an A* and he just let the comment go. He needs AAA and is predicted AAB so that little * might make all the difference.
Reply 16
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Is there any news? I'm in a similar position to you and I'm finding that I'm having to sit on my hands! Is it just boys? My son got an A at AS and his teacher said she'd predict him an A but then said you'll probably get an A* and he just let the comment go. He needs AAA and is predicted AAB so that little * might make all the difference.

Hi
It's just SO frustrating isn't it. I'm sure it's not just boys but I know mine is laid back (to the point of being horizontal) so doesn't press issues in a way I would/would like him to.

The head of 6th form emailed me last night and said ...

Once the students have submitted their applications we complete their references including the grades we expect them to get these are not necessarily their target grades, but the expected grades gathered at the RAWL 1 assessment point this week. If these grades are As then we will be totally confident in putting his formal application predicted grades as As. I would strongly suggest 'R' includes three universities with top end entrance requirements on his application, but would also recommend he choose two with B grade entrance requirements. By the time he makes his firm and insurance choices we will all have a strong idea of the grades he is likely to get at A2.

So i'm still not too much wiser, but reassured that he's fate has not been sealed quite yet.
I have to say, i'm a little frustrated that I can't just get a straight answer. Am I not allowed to know what they will be putting??
My son read the reply and seems a little more settled, and in a way it's good they are pushing his application towards AAA unis.

:-)
Reply 17
Hi
It's just SO frustrating isn't it. I'm sure it's not just boys but I know mine is laid back (to the point of being horizontal) so doesn't press issues in a way I would/would like him to.

The head of 6th form emailed me last night and said ...

Once the students have submitted their applications we complete their references including the grades we expect them to get these are not necessarily their target grades, but the expected grades gathered at the RAWL 1 assessment point this week. If these grades are As then we will be totally confident in putting his formal application predicted grades as As. I would strongly suggest 'R' includes three universities with top end entrance requirements on his application, but would also recommend he choose two with B grade entrance requirements. By the time he makes his firm and insurance choices we will all have a strong idea of the grades he is likely to get at A2.

So i'm still not too much wiser, but reassured that he's fate has not been sealed quite yet.
I have to say, i'm a little frustrated that I can't just get a straight answer. Am I not allowed to know what they will be putting??
My son read the reply and seems a little more settled, and in a way it's good they are pushing his application towards AAA unis.

:-)

The straight answer is they haven't yet settled on his (or probably any other student's) predictions except for the early applicants (15th Oct UCAS deadline) to Medicine and/or Oxbridge.

Sounds pretty standard I'm afraid :smile:

How good where his As at AS? If one or more were in the 90s he might expect an A* prediction.
Reply 18
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2

That sounds good but just be aware that A*AB is not equivalent to AAA. The unis asking for AAA will usually still want to see that A in the 3rd subject.

BUT they may still make an AAA offer, and *might* relax the requirement if "only" A*AB was achieved in his exams - but there's absolutely no guarantees. It will depend on how many others hit the requirement, etc.
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
The straight answer is they haven't yet settled on his (or probably any other student's) predictions except for the early applicants (15th Oct UCAS deadline) to Medicine and/or Oxbridge.

Sounds pretty standard I'm afraid :smile:

How good where his As at AS? If one or more were in the 90s he might expect an A* prediction.

Thank you for the clarification.
I'm embarrassingly unclear on the scores/points etc, i'm only sure of his actual grades.
I have his statement of results with 'Grade 1, Mark equiv & points' ... would it be on there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending