The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

Ok my personal statement goes like this (im applying for a science degree)

1. Little introduction. How I was captivated by Physics
2. A book I read. How the book relates to my undergraduate study
3. My a-levels subjects
4. A little conclusion.

It only comes to 2,900 characters, whilst being of VERY HIGH QUALITy.

What do i do? Do i add fillers to bump it up to 3,700 characters. Or can I add 1 more paragraph? If so what about?

I havent gone to any work experiences or open day (its physics), and i cant be bothered to?
Just go into much more detail about your experiences, what you learned and how it is relevant to your degree choice. Add a final paragraph to round it off too - it only has to be a sentence or too.
Since you have the space I would suggest that you use it.

I don't know if you want any suggestions but I'm gonna do it anyway:
- maybe talk about a specific physics thing that really interests you
- Put in some hobbies that demonstrate skills like sports = commitment etc.
- Career goals maybe?

:smile:
Original post by AK 12

3. My a-levels subjects
4. A little conclusion.

What do i do? Do i add fillers to bump it up to 3,700 characters. Or can I add 1 more paragraph? If so what about?

I havent gone to any work experiences or open day (its physics), and i cant be bothered to?

It isn't really too good to talk about your A-Level subject in any great level of detail; universities know which A-Levels you're doing from other parts of your application and do not need to be told that you're great at problem solving thanks to your A-Level maths. Perhaps you could mention more books - say what you learned and maybe talk about what you're excited to learn about in more detail. If, however, you feel you're done then 2900 characters is short but not too short (seeing as the limit is 1000 characters). Surely you've got other things to say? Maybe talk about online lectures/a recent article you've read that's related to physics/anything in the news that concerns physics. Have a teacher (preferably your physics teacher or at least a science teacher) read through it and make any necessary adjustments. Other than that good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Add any extra curricular activities you've done?... like sports/hobbies, doesn't have to be related to what you're applying for
I would talk about another book or something related to physics that interests you and why
Reply 6
Original post by *Interrobang*
I would talk about another book or something related to physics that interests you and why

Thanks mate :smile:
You do not have to talk about your A levels so that para can just go. Only include extra curriculars if relevant to your subjects. If not then just a short para focusing on relevant transferable skills will do. Otherwise pack the statement with academic content as suggested above. It's best to use as much space as possible.
Original post by AK 12

3. My a-levels subjects
4. A little conclusion.

If you can't be bothered to even get work experience or go to an open day then what's the point in you studying something so hard? You won't be able to be lazy doing a physics degree!
Reply 9
Original post by Richpeasant
If you can't be bothered to even get work experience or go to an open day then what's the point in you studying something so hard? You won't be able to be lazy doing a physics degree!

I know trust; my predicted grades are A*A*A so this makes your post stupid
Original post by AK 12
I know trust; my predicted grades are A*A*A so this makes your post stupid

It makes me laugh how arrogant you actually are. I hope you don't get accepted to any university and then MAYBE your attitude will change.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending