The Student Room Group

New language guidelines for schoolchildren aged 5+ to stamp out "gender stereotyping"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I never heard half of these in Primary school, and the other half are just plain stupid to ban!
Original post by Captain Haddock
I'm not buying it. The only sources on this are the article in the OP and a stub in the Daily Mail. The Independent were reporting it but have since pulled the article. My bull**** detector is going off.

Google tells us a few people such as ITV, Metro and Yahoo are reporting it but it all originates from an article in The Times.
Original post by thesabbath
Why don't these manly women and girly men get on with it then. Why do we need a totalitarian imposition of abject nonsense in order to facilitate their fantasies of being a second-rate pastiche of the opposite sex?

I think a lot of people get on with it. I've certainly spoken to people whose gender isn't an issue to them. Goes the same with race, sexuality, etc.

While I think that gender roles are becoming less and less important/prevalent anyway, there are reasons why a school might want to cover it. Some children may still grow up in an environment where gender roles are enforced, and it would be the role of the school to open their mind to the possibility that they don't have to live their life like that.

Not that I think that the plans presented in the article are very good mind you. They sound really ineffectual and quite stupid.

Also quit being so hyperbolic! :tongue:

Original post by Good bloke
Good luck with carrying a baby and breastfeeding it (if you are male) or impregnating your partner (if you are female) then.

I don't expect that. I said gender roles. Gender and sex are different.

Original post by KimKallstrom
Google tells us a few people such as ITV, Metro and Yahoo are reporting it but it all originates from an article in The Times.

Shame that The Times requires subscription then! :tongue: The Daily Mail and the Telegraph refer to the Department of Education, so perhaps it originates there? I'd like to read the original text for this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale
I don't expect that. I said gender roles. Gender and sex are different.

Yes, they are different. Sex describes the real and unavoidable physical and physiological differences between men and women.

Gender is something feminists made up to try advance their marxist agenda.

Some children may still grow up in an environment where gender roles are enforced, and it would be the role of the school to open their mind to the possibility that they don't have to live their life like that.

So you don't like the idea of personal freedom, I take it? That being, parents have the prime decision of how to best raise their own children. You would rather outside bodies attempt to prevent parents from raising their children in the way that they wish, so they conform to a State-sponsored "normal"?
Good lord, when will it end.

These people really need to man, bloody wets. These sissies really need to stop being big girls blouses (we're aloud to say that).

Now where's a lesbian in this thread, I want a sandwich.
Original post by Wave of Wisdom
That being, parents have the prime decision of how to best raise their own children.

But the parents decision may not be the 'best' way to raise their children

Only by providing children with alternate views can these entrenched attitudes be challenged
Original post by BaconandSauce
But the parents decision may not be the 'best' way to raise their children

Only by providing children with alternate views can these entrenched attitudes be challenged

Exactly. And do you know what? There are both more than one way to raise a child/family, and there exist multiple parents at one time.

Knowing this fact leads you to accept that in marketplace terms, your family is competing with other families. If you decide to sabotage your lineage then whatever, the market does not care. If you set a precedent for the State to seize your children, you draw very close to tyranny. Anything could be argued as not the "best way" to raise a child, so anything could potentially be reason to seize.
I'm not buying it. The only sources on this are the article in the OP and a stub in the Daily Mail. The Independent were reporting it but have since pulled the article. My bull**** detector is going off.

Well the left wing press probably wouldn't report this, most rags have different things to be focussing on, ad the Telegraph is a respectable paper so it hardly seems to be out of the realms of possibility to me.
I'm not buying it. The only sources on this are the article in the OP and a stub in the Daily Mail.

Read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34574196
Original post by banterboy
Well the left wing press probably wouldn't report this, most rags have different things to be focussing on, ad the Telegraph is a respectable paper so it hardly seems to be out of the realms of possibility to me.

Well, the Independent did report it but pulled the article, and the Telegraph has gone seriously downhill lately.

Ok, so this is exactly what I thought it would be. It's just a report from some charity, not an actual policy as the Telegraph article implied.
I agree with basically all of that advice. The assumptions and implications of that kind of language are completely false and it sends really bad messages to children.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's something quite amusing about the idea of five year olds running around, telling girls to make them a sandwich. Whatever next? Jokes about girls being worse at riding tricycles than boys?
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Yes, they are different. Sex describes the real and unavoidable physical and physiological differences between men and women.

Gender is something feminists made up to try advance their marxist agenda.

Ok, so what kind of things are all women incapable of doing and what kind of things are all men incapable of doing?
Original post by Wave of Wisdom
So you don't like the idea of personal freedom, I take it? That being, parents have the prime decision of how to best raise their own children. You would rather outside bodies attempt to prevent parents from raising their children in the way that they wish, so they conform to a State-sponsored "normal"?

If that's what you consider personal freedom then no.

Having a child and forcing them to live their life in a way that you want them to live it isn't personal freedom by any definition that I know of. Having a child and giving them a choice in how they want to live their life is personal freedom, and that is what I think children should be given.

Unfortunately some children are not given this opportunity, so I think it should be the role of the school to present it to them.
Ok, so what kind of things are all women incapable of doing and what kind of things are all men incapable of doing?

I wasn't talking in absolute terms (all men or all women) and it is a mistake to think I was.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
I was talking in absolute terms (all men or all women) and it is a mistake to think I was.

? I'm not following you, this sentence doesn't make any sense.

Quick Reply