The Student Room Group

Cambridge SAQ 'Optional additional personal statement'

I feel as though I have included all the information I would like to relay in my personal statement.
Would I be at a disadvantage by leaving this box blank?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You will not be disadvantaged in any way.
^^^
Original post by cowie
I feel as though I have included all the information I would like to relay in my personal statement.
Would I be at a disadvantage by leaving this box blank?

im writing mine right now lol.
You won't be disadvantaged but I feel like it will look good if you mention specific parts of the cambridge course inparticular that have made you applied. atleast it will look like you know what youve applied for if that makes sense? Also it might be beneficial to mention how the cambridge style of teaching (supervisions etc) attracts you

for e.g. im applying to HSPS and im gonna mention how the social and human aspects of the course will enhance my understanding of my preferred subject. Ive read natsci students say how they like being able to experience all the sciences at uni level etc
Original post by timelizard
im writing mine right now lol.
You won't be disadvantaged but I feel like it will look good if you mention specific parts of the cambridge course inparticular that have made you applied. atleast it will look like you know what youve applied for if that makes sense? Also it might be beneficial to mention how the cambridge style of teaching (supervisions etc) attracts you

for e.g. im applying to HSPS and im gonna mention how the social and human aspects of the course will enhance my understanding of my preferred subject. Ive read natsci students say how they like being able to experience all the sciences at uni level etc

Unfortunately, that's exactly the sort of information Christ's AT said they wouldn't be interested in reading. It won't disadvantage you by writing it, but won't give you any advantage either. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Unfortunately, that's exactly the sort of information Christ's AT said they wouldn't be interested in reading. It won't disadvantage you by writing it, but won't give you any advantage either. :wink:

really? we've been told by our school to write it. I might mention it a little bit then.
really? we've been told by our school to write it. I might mention it a little bit then.

I'm pretty sure Christ's AT knows what he's talking about better than your school. :tongue: He said it a few times in his last thread.
I think the reason being that's one of the reasons many students choose to apply to Cambridge and they know it anyway, so it won't make you stands out among the crowds. :wink:

Edit: He also said MANY times he preferred it to be left blank if you don't have anything special to add to info already you provided in PS, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

And almost every other school will be telling their applicants the same thing.

So your application will be the same as everyone else's...

As @vincrows said - Christ's have said it's not necessary.

Peterhouse have said the same thing in their threads.

On the basis that something that is useless and short will be better than something that is useless and long? The key word is "useless", of course.
Original post by jneill
And almost every other school will be telling their applicants the same thing.

So your application will be the same as everyone else's...

As @vincrows said - Christ's have said it's not necessary.

Peterhouse have said the same thing in their threads.

I like the way you put extra space between each line. Very persuasive :biggrin:
Reply 10

I never did like writing essays... LOL.
Original post by jneill
I never did like writing essays... LOL.

That was effective, though. Or at least I hope it was....:tongue:

You have to read between the lines to get the full message.
Original post by Good bloke
You have to read between the lines to get the full message.

Exactly. Hence my post above. :wink:
I'm pretty sure Christ's AT knows what he's talking about better than your school. :tongue: He said it a few times in his last thread.
I think the reason being that's one of the reasons many students choose to apply to Cambridge and they know it anyway, so it won't make you stands out among the crowds. :wink:

Edit: He also said MANY times he preferred it to be left blank if you don't have anything special to add to info already you provided in PS, etc.

I know, I wasn't questioning it, I was just surprised.

im just winging this entire thing tbh. if everything I write is useless, oh well
if everything I write is useless, oh well

Do you not think that you may be judged, as a candidate, on whether you exhibit sound judgement in what you consider important enough to write in the PS and SAQ?
I know, I wasn't questioning it, I was just surprised.

im just winging this entire thing tbh. if everything I write is useless, oh well

You can write it if it makes you feel more relaxed about it. And actually that's quite important thing; try to be as relaxed about it as possible. :wink:
But if you don't write those things, you can use the time to something more useful, like revising the subjects. :wink:
You can write it if it makes you feel more relaxed about it. And actually that's quite important thing; try to be as relaxed about it as possible. :wink:
But if you don't write those things, you can use the time to something more useful, like revising the subjects. :wink:

don't worry, i'll do both :smile:. But I do think that I'm meant to be writing stuff in my saq considering I'm applying for HSPS
Reply 18
That was effective, though. Or at least I hope it was....:tongue:

PRSOM.
Original post by Good bloke
Do you not think that you may be judged, as a candidate, on whether you exhibit sound judgement in what you consider important enough to write in the PS and SAQ?

well obviously but it's not as if I'm waxing lyrical about my favourite food or something in my saq. What I write might not be of upmost importance but at the same time it's not total rubbish and irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending