Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Staffordshire University applicants for 2016 entry chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey,
This is Santhej from India.
I just received an unconditional offer letter for "Msc In Mobile Application Development"
I have applied for the same course in University of South Wales and Leeds Beckett University and have received offer letter from both the universities.
I went through the syllabus of this course in all the above universities and but the syllabus taught at Staffordshire University is excellent and focusing much on the practical side of things.

Can you give me an idea about how many students enrolled in this course in the previous batch and some statistics about it?
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by santhej
Hey,
This is Santhej from India.
I just received an unconditional offer letter for "Msc In Mobile Application Development"
I have applied for the same course in University of South Wales and Leeds Beckett University and have received offer letter from both the universities.
I went through the syllabus of this course in all the above universities and but the syllabus taught at Staffordshire University is excellent and focusing much on the practical side of things.

Can you give me an idea about how many students enrolled in this course in the previous batch and some statistics about it?

Hi Santhej,

Congratulations on getting your offers, it's great to hear you're excited about the course at Staffs :smile: I'm the official rep for the university on TSR so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask me.

I'll speak to someone in the department and get back to you with some further information about the course. Was there anything in particular in terms of statistics that you wanted to know about?

Katie
Reply 22
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi Santhej,

Congratulations on getting your offers, it's great to hear you're excited about the course at Staffs :smile: I'm the official rep for the university on TSR so if you've got any questions, feel free to ask me.

I'll speak to someone in the department and get back to you with some further information about the course. Was there anything in particular in terms of statistics that you wanted to know about?

Katie

Thanks for the quick reply Katie.Since this is a relatively new course I am kind off worried about studying in a class with very few students.I would like to know how many students have taken this course in the previous batch and do you have international students enrolling in this course?

As a new student willing to take this course,I would like to speak with someone who is already doing this course at your University?Is that something you can arrange?

This is the course I am going to join
http://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/05G48100.jsp
I am confused now.The page shows there is intake only in September.But in the offer letter it states there is intake in January and the class begins on Jan 18.Is there something wrong here?My Student id is 15031411
(edited 8 years ago)
That's great to hear :smile: Sounds like you're well organised! Fingers crossed for your application now. :h:

Yes it's a relief it's off now and yes I try to be as organised as possible, although I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. :h:
1) How many applicants are there for law per year and what are the number of spaces available?
2) How long does it usually take for Staffs to reply back to your application on average?

Many thanks
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by santhej
Thanks for the quick reply Katie.Since this is a relatively new course I am kind off worried about studying in a class with very few students.I would like to know how many students have taken this course in the previous batch and do you have international students enrolling in this course?

As a new student willing to take this course,I would like to speak with someone who is already doing this course at your University?Is that something you can arrange?

This is the course I am going to join
http://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/05G48100.jsp
I am confused now.The page shows there is intake only in September.But in the offer letter it states there is intake in January and the class begins on Jan 18.Is there something wrong here?My Student id is 15031411

Hi there,

I've heard back from the department and got some more information for you :smile:

Last year there were two students enrolled on the course, who are in the process of completing it now. They are both mature students and employed as contract programmers. This is a postgraduate course so there will be fewer students enrolling than an undergraduate. The plus side to this is that you'll be able to get a lot of support from staff as there are fewer students. :h:

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about making friends etc. if that's what 's bothering you about the size of the course. There are loads of societies and social events happening all around at the university so you will meet people.

Here is some feedback about the course from one of the students who is currently on it:

I’ve worked for quite a few multinational companies since completing my BSc (Hons) Software Engineering degree back in 1999. I’ve worked for Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Logica(now part of CGI), Motorola, Vodafone, Fujitsu Telecommunications,Alcatel-Lucent and Alstom.

Although my career was doing well I found myself no longer enjoying the work I was doing. I needed to refresh my technical skills and go deep in to a subject area that I enjoy working and have a globally recognised qualification at the end of it. An MSc course is what I opted to take and after searching through MSc’s being run in the midlands I found Staffordshire University was running Mobile Device Application Development starting in September 2014. I applied, got acceptedthen handed in my notice at work. I literally finishing work on the Friday and the following Monday started my MSc.

The course has been challenging especially as I’ve been out of formal education for 15 years although it’s been thoroughly enjoyable and the support has been great. I’ve beenstretched in both technically abilities and conceptual thinking. During the course of this MSc course I wasgiven the opportunity to attend the Tech14 exhibition (the UK Oracle UserGroup), which was a great event to see what companies are offering in today’smarket place and which direction they are taking for tomorrow’s technology.

Overall I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the course.

I hope that answers some of your questions - I'll find out about start dates for you now :h:

Katie
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Hi there,

I've heard back from the department and got some more information for you :smile:

Last year there were two students enrolled on the course, who are in the process of completing it now. They are both mature students and employed as contract programmers. This is a postgraduate course so there will be fewer students enrolling than an undergraduate. The plus side to this is that you'll be able to get a lot of support from staff as there are fewer students. :h:

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about making friends etc. if that's what 's bothering you about the size of the course. There are loads of societies and social events happening all around at the university so you will meet people.

Here is some feedback about the course from one of the students who is currently on it:

I’ve worked for quite a few multinational companies since completing my BSc (Hons) Software Engineering degree back in 1999. I’ve worked for Hewlett-Packard GmbH, Logica(now part of CGI), Motorola, Vodafone, Fujitsu Telecommunications,Alcatel-Lucent and Alstom.

Although my career was doing well I found myself no longer enjoying the work I was doing. I needed to refresh my technical skills and go deep in to a subject area that I enjoy working and have a globally recognised qualification at the end of it. An MSc course is what I opted to take and after searching through MSc’s being run in the midlands I found Staffordshire University was running Mobile Device Application Development starting in September 2014. I applied, got acceptedthen handed in my notice at work. I literally finishing work on the Friday and the following Monday started my MSc.

The course has been challenging especially as I’ve been out of formal education for 15 years although it’s been thoroughly enjoyable and the support has been great. I’ve beenstretched in both technically abilities and conceptual thinking. During the course of this MSc course I wasgiven the opportunity to attend the Tech14 exhibition (the UK Oracle UserGroup), which was a great event to see what companies are offering in today’smarket place and which direction they are taking for tomorrow’s technology.

Overall I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the course.

I hope that answers some of your questions - I'll find out about start dates for you now :h:

Katie
Thanks for the quick reply Katie.I noticed that Staffordshire offers a scholarship of £2000 to PostGraduate students from India.But I noticed I was not offered any scholarship .Can I know why I was rejected the scholarship ?
Reply 26
Hello,
Is there some update on this issue?
Original post by santhej
Thanks for the quick reply Katie.I noticed that Staffordshire offers a scholarship of £2000 to PostGraduate students from India.But I noticed I was not offered any scholarship .Can I know why I was rejected the scholarship ?

Original post by santhej
Hello,

Hi Santhej,

Sorry for the delay, I am just trying to find out the answer for you :smile:

Katie
Original post by santhej
Hello,

Hi there Santhej,

I'm just going to send you a PM with a contact email of someone who can help you with this. If you get in contact with them they'll be able to have a look at your application and see exactly what's going on. :h:

Katie
Reply 29
Im thinking of studying Motorsport Technology (Fast Track Degree) here and was just wondering what it will be like to study here? Will i be able to get a job around my studies? What percentage of the course is undertaken in industry and what links you have? What sort of work experience is there in the local area? World renowned rally and race teams or will it be small teams in uk championships? Many thanks Paul
(edited 8 years ago)
I have applied for Health and Social care.I have also applied to Wolverhampton, Bolton, Manchester Met and Cardiff Met. I'm kinda scared about starting Uni to be honest, I'm terrible at making friends lol! Feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by Woody773
Im thinking of studying Motorsport Technology (Fast Track Degree) here and was just wondering what it will be like to study here? Will i be able to get a job around my studies? What percentage of the course is undertaken in industry and what links you have? What sort of work experience is there in the local area? World renowned rally and race teams or will it be small teams in uk championships? Many thanks Paul

Hey there,

It's super exiting to hear you're thinking about Staffs. I'll get complete answers to your questions, but I thought I'd share this from one of the Motorsport BSc lecturers which might give you an idea of some of the things our students do:

"There are lots of different things you'll get involved in during your time here, you might go out to work with our partner raceteams - such as Slidesports, who compete in Volkswagen Cup and GT Cup championships, or SVR, who run Clio Cup cars, you might even stay with our in house cars, we're currently running a Lotus Evora for Kevin Riley and Gareth Downing in the GT Cup as well as a MINI Cooper for Kevin O'Connor in the MINI Challenge. We're also in the early stages of getting involved in Formula Student - so that's something you might want to get involved in over your time with us too."

I'll speak to someone in the department and get back to you with further info about the Fast Track degree. :h:

Katy
Original post by Woody773

Heya, I've got some more info about this for you now :smile: Here's a response from one of the lecturers:

Some of our students do get part time jobs to help with finance during their studies, however during the foundation degree our students tend to do two days or so in work experience so this can mean it is more of a struggle for them to maintain part time jobs especially with race weekends.

Our students can spend around two terms with a race team and therefore about 30-50%of the course is ‘in industry’, we work with an array of teams in the UK. These include local teams, and more nationally based teams. Although they all tend tobe smaller teams in UK championships. These include the likes of Slide sports in the Volkswagen Cup, JPR in the Fun cup Championship and SVR in the Clio Cup; we have also raced in the GT Cup we obviously can’t guarantee what might change from season to season as the teams get involved with different series etc but this gives you a bit of an idea of past activities.

Our students complete the foundation degree and then many go on to our top up award to take just over another year to complete their full degree (BSc(Hons)Motorsport Technology) they can compete a year’s placement in industry as part of this while the student must apply for these placements directly, in the past we had a student accepted for a placement at Red Bull F1.

Hopefully that answers your questions - if there's anything else you need to know let me know. :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi I'm Zoë and I'm applying for paramedic science! Is anyone else thinking of this? I'm due to join you for an open day on the 5th December.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,
I have applied for Health and social care(Bsc Hons) and I have also received a conditional offer.
I was wondering if I weren't to get the grades, would they offer me a place on the foundation course because I am really worried now.
Thanks!
Hi,
I have applied for law and have not received my application back yet. I wondered if that department is slower on giving/ rejecting offers than some of the others as a couple of people have received theirs back from Staffs (different subjects) whereas I haven't heard anything back yet. Also, do Staffs offer prospective students unconditional offers at all? In addition to this I was also wondering if Staffs reject my application for Law (3 years) and offer me a place on the Law with foundation degree instead? Is that also possible?
Many thanks.
Hi there! I'm hoping to be applying for the BA Hons Radio Production Course, is anyone else hoping to/have already applied for it?
Original post by zozo2dots
Hi I'm Zoë and I'm applying for paramedic science! Is anyone else thinking of this? I'm due to join you for an open day on the 5th December.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya Zoë, great to hear you're thinking about Staffs and are coming to an open day :smile: I'm the official rep for Staffs on TSR so if you've got anything you need to know feel free to get in contact. :h:

Original post by DominiqueNelson
Hi,
I have applied for Health and social care(Bsc Hons) and I have also received a conditional offer.
I was wondering if I weren't to get the grades, would they offer me a place on the foundation course because I am really worried now.
Thanks!

Heya, try not to worry about this - are you feeling nervous about how your results will go? We consider all our applicants on a case by case basis so we wouldn't necessarily reject you outright because of grades, and foundation years are a good way to bring your skills up to degree level if your results don't go the way you planned. You can give our admissions team a call to talk through your options if you're stressed. :h:

Try not to get too preoccupied with your application, it's time to focus on your A-levels :smile:

Katie
Original post by here's.hoping
Hi,
I have applied for law and have not received my application back yet. I wondered if that department is slower on giving/ rejecting offers than some of the others as a couple of people have received theirs back from Staffs (different subjects) whereas I haven't heard anything back yet. Also, do Staffs offer prospective students unconditional offers at all? In addition to this I was also wondering if Staffs reject my application for Law (3 years) and offer me a place on the Law with foundation degree instead? Is that also possible?
Many thanks.

Heya, I'm going to get in contact with the Law school to get an answer for you :h:

Heya, you'll need to go to Stoke campus for an open day as that's where your course will be next year. :smile: Don't worry about getting lost - it'll be a bit confusing at first but everyone is super friendly and helpful so you'll be able to find your way around in no time. :h:

Make sure you're prepared for the open day and bring a list of questions or things you'd like to know with you so you can write everything down and don't forget anything. :h:
Heya Zoë, great to hear you're thinking about Staffs and are coming to an open day :smile: I'm the official rep for Staffs on TSR so if you've got anything you need to know feel free to get in contact. :h:

Heya, try not to worry about this - are you feeling nervous about how your results will go? We consider all our applicants on a case by case basis so we wouldn't necessarily reject you outright because of grades, and foundation years are a good way to bring your skills up to degree level if your results don't go the way you planned. You can give our admissions team a call to talk through your options if you're stressed. :h:

Try not to get too preoccupied with your application, it's time to focus on your A-levels :smile:

Katie

Thank you Katie :smile: It's just that stuff at home isn't going well so I am quite distracted! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending