The Student Room Group

wtf just been assigned my first essay, i have about a week to do it

1500 words
how ****ed am i?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's more than doable m8..
0% ****ed at all. Don't think I stated actually writing (not including planning / reading) earlier than a week before deadline over the course of my degree. Also everyone is in the same position...

TBH if you're struggling with the pressure now you really need to get your head straight before the end of semester (or year depending on course structure)
Original post by dean01234
0% ****ed at all. Don't think I stated actually writing (not including planning / reading) earlier than a week before deadline over the course of my degree. Also everyone is in the same position...

TBH if you're struggling with the pressure now you really need to get your head straight before the end of semester (or year depending on course structure)

i've done no pre reading
i dont really know what i have to do though, i have the essay title but what now lol?
im not really struggling with the pressure, i have never done an essay before so i dont know what the writing style is.
do i just go 'i think this' and then back it up with citations from studies?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Straighthate
i've done no pre reading
i dont really know what i have to do though, i have the essay title but what now lol?
im not really struggling with the pressure, i have never done an essay before so i dont know what the writing style is.
do i just go 'i think this' and then back it up with citations from studies?

Different universities and different lecturers will have various ideas about what constitutes a good essay. Have a look through module guidelines for any clues about what you might need specifically.

Given that its the first essay they won't be looking for perfection, this is a chance for you to learn from mistakes before you get stuck into the important work (I'm guessing)

The 'I think' is along the right lines but you don't want to use personal pronouns (different for reflections). Say things like the evidence suggests that, one factor which could limit the effectiveness of ____ is ____, Government involvement in ___is likely to ___ .

Think about how you would answer the question and then build points around it (you can change as you go). A good start is breaking it into 2 basic parts. Its how people will answer real questions a lot of the time anyway:

-Yeah I really enjoyed the film, but I preferred the main actors last film
-I think the conservatives have some awful economic policies, but I couldn't see Corbyn as prime minister
-The main cause of ___ war was sociological however it might not have caused enough friction without various economic changes.
-Government involvement in R&D is likely to result in a positive outcome but an overly centralised role will not be efficient.

There will be loads of different ways you can argue something so try phrasing in different ways, but keep relating the stuff you say to your overall arguement. If you can't think of any points try, go back to lecture slides and core readings. Also go to your lecturers if you are really struggling.

(Take this advice with a pinch of salt, I studied economics and can see lots of application for this advice in subjects like history but it might not be relevant in others)
(edited 8 years ago)
Different universities and different lecturers will have various ideas about what constitutes a good essay. Have a look through module guidelines for any clues about what you might need specifically.

Given that its the first essay they won't be looking for perfection, this is a chance for you to learn from mistakes before you get stuck into the important work (I'm guessing)

The 'I think' is along the right lines but you don't want to use personal pronouns (different for reflections). Say things like the evidence suggests that, one factor which could limit the effectiveness of ____ is ____, Government involvement in ___is likely to ___ .

Think about how you would answer the question and then build points around it (you can change as you go). A good start is breaking it into 2 basic parts. Its how people will answer real questions a lot of the time anyway:

-I think the conservatives have some awful economic policies, but I couldn't see Corbyn as prime minister
-The main cause of ___ war was sociological however it might now have caused enough friction without various economic changes.
-Government involvement in R&D is likely to result in a positive outcome but an overly centralised role will not be efficient.

There will be loads of different ways you can argue something so try phrasing in different ways, but keep relating the stuff you say to your overall arguement. If you can't think of any points try, go back to lecture slides and core readings. Also go to your lecturers if you are really struggling.

(Take this advice with a pinch of salt, I studied economics and can see lots of application for this advice in subjects like history but it might not be relevant in others)

Im doing economics, first year. I searched for studies relating to my essay topic and there some, but how do i know if these studies are reliable? Do you need to comment on the study quality?

-The main cause of ___ war was sociological however it might now have caused enough friction without various economic changes.

:rofl3:Perfect!

But yeah I agree with others that if you can't cope now, it will be far more difficult later on.
Reply 7
why
Reply 8
i think we could make this club something, if all of us come together and throw ideas into the air we could be 24 hour universe capturers
1500 words
how ****ed am i?

This is the norm. Welcome to uni :smile:.
Pretty at uni tbh. Good luck x.
Reply 11
Im doing economics, first year. I searched for studies relating to my essay topic and there some, but how do i know if these studies are reliable? Do you need to comment on the study quality?

You don't know if they're reliable - that's part of the fun! As long as you stick to stuff from academic books and peer-reviewed journals, the best you can hope to say is that other people in that field think it's credible.

You can start looking for papers which disagree with each other, which approach the same point from different perspectives and sometimes you can even spot flaws.

The bibliographies of the stuff you've already found, will give you more leads.
Reply 12
yes it will be the place i start my conquest
Not in uni yet but I have about 5 hours to write up 1500 before I email it to my teacher....2 weeks is more than enough imo :redface:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Not in uni yet but I have about 5 hours to write up 1500 before I email it to my teacher....2 weeks is more than enough imo :redface:

good luck
Original post by stochasticking
good luck

:biggrin:

What you reaslly mean is

RIP :h:
Reply 16
1500 words

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

Have you people never wrote an essay in your lives? 1500 takes about 30 minutes, it's nothing.
Original post by Luneth
Have you people never wrote an essay in your lives? 1500 takes about 30 minutes, it's nothing.

:colonhash: Not when you're striving for perfection.

It takes me 30 minutes to proof read....:redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Luneth

what subject did you do at uni?
and no i havent, this is my first ever essay, im in my first year in uni
1500 words
how ****ed am i?

Isn't this why you're at university? You need to stretch yourself and it is a struggle. Get to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending