The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

BCL at Oxford Uni or LLM at LSE

Hi,

I am sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I am thinking to apply to do the BCL at Oxford University for 2016-2017 or LLM at LSE. A quick overview of my profile, I graduated last year with a First Class Law degree (top 15) from the University of Westminster, achieving an 80% in my dissertation project. After graduating, I spent about 4 months volunteering at citizen advice bureau, and then I did another 3 months interning as a Paralegal in private practice. For the past 5 months I have been working in a commercial law firm (within legal 500) in central London within Intellectual Property. This is all while studying my LPC part-time.

Although one can say I should maybe stick to working, I have always wanted to do my postgraduate masters in law because I do really enjoy the academic side of law. I couldn't get into a top university for undergrad because of my A level grades, ABC (A2) and A (AS) and I feel like it has haunted me ever since! I also got 2* A's, 6 A's and 2 B's at GCSE level.

Do you think with the above I have any chance of getting into Oxford or LSE? I am so determined to do this but unfortunately I have not come from the most privileged background and family, and have had to work my way up. As I funded my LPC myself (which by the way I absolutely hate hence why I want to do a masters in law), I would only be able to do one of these courses if I had a scholarship or financial aid. I feel like it will boost my training contract applications because they do only tend to look at people from Oxbridge or the Russel Group Universities, as well as Alevel.

Do you think I have a chance of getting into any of those two unis, and which offer better scholarships/Financial aid? I don't know if I am being too ambitious and so opinions would be great! Oxford would be my absolute dream, but even if I got in I couldn't afford it without help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mb2211
Do you think with the above I have any chance of getting into Oxford or LSE? I am so determined to do this but unfortunately I have not come from the most privileged background

This is a slight sidestep but I do not think privilege has much to do with getting into LSE or Oxbridge (at least not at postgraduate level). There is little information that gives the idea of where you grew up and if I remember correctly, Oxbridge do not ask for your school grades or name. So, chin up. Law and other careers in the City are going to be brutal and you need to just to put the social injustices aside if you want to make it. There are plenty of people from under-privileged backgrounds who have done very well in the City.

Original post by mb2211
Hi,I am sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I am thinking to apply to do the BCL at Oxford University for 2016-2017 or LLM at LSE. A quick overview of my profile, I graduated last year with a First Class Law degree (top 15) from the University of Westminster, achieving an 80% in my dissertation project. After graduating, I spent about 4 months volunteering at citizen advice bureau, and then I did another 3 months interning as a Paralegal in private practice. For the past 5 months I have been working in a commercial law firm (within legal 500) in central London within Intellectual Property. This is all while studying my LPC part-time.
Strong profile. Stand a good chance at either.

Original post by mb2211
and family, and have had to work my way up. As I funded my LPC myself (which by the way I absolutely hate hence why I want to do a masters in law), I would only be able to do one of these courses if I had a scholarship or financial aid. I feel like it will boost my training contract applications because they do only tend to look at people from Oxbridge or the Russel Group Universities, as well as Alevel. Do you think I have a chance of getting into any of those two unis, and which offer better scholarships/Financial aid? I don't know if I am being too ambitious and so opinions would be great! Oxford would be my absolute dream, but even if I got in I couldn't afford it without help.

My recommendation is that if funding is an issue, do not apply if you cannot pay for it. Scholarships and financial aid are good, but should you not get them, rejecting the offer will be harder and you may not get in if you re-apply at a later stage. So, why not save up at least 50% of the tuition and try and get a loan? I don't know too much about what options are available in the U.K. as I'm not British but I'm sure other posters here can help :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by WokSz
This is a slight sidestep but I do not think privilege has much to do with getting into LSE or Oxbridge (at least not at postgraduate level). There is little information that gives the idea of where you grew up and if I remember correctly, Oxbridge do not ask for your school grades or name. So, chin up. Law and other careers in the City are going to be brutal and you need to just to put the social injustices aside if you want to make it. There are plenty of people from under-privileged backgrounds who have done very well in the City.

Strong profile. Stand a good chance at either.

My recommendation is that if funding is an issue, do not apply if you cannot pay for it. Scholarships and financial aid are good, but should you not get them, rejecting the offer will be harder and you may not get in if you re-apply at a later stage. So, why not save up at least 50% of the tuition and try and get a loan? I don't know too much about what options are available in the U.K. as I'm not British but I'm sure other posters here can help :smile:.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I am not at all using social injustices as an excuse, I have been working since the age of 16 throughout all my education and have still managed to receive decent academic results and I am genuinely happy and proud of myself for getting a job at a corporate and well known law firm. I think I was relating it more to the money aspect and being able to afford the fees.
A loan is a bad idea as we are already in thousands of debt from our undergrad degree...
So I feel like I have the potential to get onto these courses but unsure if I should apply!
Reply 3
Original post by mb2211
Oh no don't get me wrong, I am not at all using social injustices as an excuse, I have been working since the age of 16 throughout all my education and have still managed to receive decent academic results and I am genuinely happy and proud of myself for getting a job at a corporate and well known law firm. I think I was relating it more to the money aspect and being able to afford the fees.
A loan is a bad idea as we are already in thousands of debt from our undergrad degree...
So I feel like I have the potential to get onto these courses but unsure if I should apply!

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. Apologies for the unnecessary reply :smile:.

I really can't help with financing, unfortunately except to suggest making sure you have enough money saved up to cover most of the fees. It's daunting, but it what I did and I don't regret it. My friends from undergrad who went straight into University took out ridiculous loans and are now delaying settling down or moving out of their parents' places simply to pay back the thousands of pounds they owe.
Original post by WokSz
This is a slight sidestep but I do not think privilege has much to do with getting into LSE or Oxbridge (at least not at postgraduate level). There is little information that gives the idea of where you grew up and if I remember correctly, Oxbridge do not ask for your school grades or name. So, chin up. Law and other careers in the City are going to be brutal and you need to just to put the social injustices aside if you want to make it. There are plenty of people from under-privileged backgrounds who have done very well in the City..

People from socially deprived backgrounds statistically do worse at L3 than people who come from non-deprived backgrounds. And Law is a very privileged profession. This is why universities such as Bristol give contextual offers; and this is why the likes of the Sutton Trust provide specific Law Pathway schemes for people from socially deprived backgrounds.

To say people have made it to the City from rough backgrounds does not account for the struggle they went to to get there, nor the comparative struggle they endured compared to people from privileged backgrounds.
Reply 5
Original post by callum_law
People from socially deprived backgrounds statistically do worse at L3 than people who come from non-deprived backgrounds. And Law is a very privileged profession. This is why universities such as Bristol give contextual offers; and this is why the likes of the Sutton Trust provide specific Law Pathway schemes for people from socially deprived backgrounds.

Not denying that.

To say people have made it to the City from rough backgrounds does not account for the struggle they went to to get there, nor the comparative struggle they endured compared to people from privileged backgrounds.

How you got there is irrelevant. Making it is what counts. If we are going to do a political analysis, that taking this into consideration would be important. But in the case of the OP, improving his/her prospects was the aim of the post. Your points are better suited to the debate sub-forum.
Original post by WokSz
How you got there is irrelevant. Making it is what counts. If we are going to do a political analysis, that taking this into consideration would be important. But in the case of the OP, improving his/her prospects was the aim of the post. Your points are better suited to the debate sub-forum.

Well, that's just not true. You made a claim about privilege having no impact on getting into Oxford or LSE, but clearly if someone performs poorly at L3 because of their background, privilege does have an impact on an Oxford application. You can play the "this isn't the right forum" card all you like, but this is linked to the somewhat ignorant claim you made. Own it and move on.
Reply 7
Well, that's just not true. You made a claim about privilege having no impact on getting into Oxford or LSE, but clearly if someone performs poorly at L3 because of their background, privilege does have an impact on an Oxford application. You can play the "this isn't the right forum" card all you like, but this is linked to the somewhat ignorant claim you made. Own it and move on.

If you want to have this debate, then PM me. There is no need to continue discussing it here. See it how you like.
Your family background or a-level results matter just as much as your primary SAT results or whether you were your mother's favourite child at this point.

I think you've got a good chance.
Reply 9
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Your family background or a-level results matter just as much as your primary SAT results or whether you were your mother's favourite child at this point.

I think you've got a good chance.

Well that's a great way to put it! I emailed the graduate enquiries and they said that a first will never guarantee you a place on the BCL (clearly obvious) and that they will take into the account the consideration as a whole. So I guess I won't really find out unless I actually apply....hope I am not being too ambitious.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending