The Student Room Group

Can I take time off 6th Form?

Just started Year 12 and it's great and all, really enjoying my subjects (Psych, Socio & Eng Lit) but I can feel my depression get worse and due to health issues I'm always tired and yawning despite 10-11 hours sleep at night. I'm thinking of taking time off - maybe 2-3 months - to sort out my health and get myself back on track. Is it advisable and does it get harder? If so, how?

I tried talking to the Head of Year about moving to a college as it might be more beneficial and he agrees but apparently the formula funding is already in and I can't change until next year for A2...

Thanks anyway
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Oh! sorry haha this is my very first post. Should I repost it in the Study Help Forum then?
Original post by oharat
Oh! sorry haha this is my very first post. Should I repost it in the Study Help Forum then?

That just seems to be an automated post that happens if you haven't had any replies in a while. I think you've posted in the right place don't worry :smile: The only suggestion I can really give is to ask your sixth form as each one will have different policies on this.

:console:I hope your situation improves soon! Also I'm A2 OCR Psychology and AQA Sociology so if there's anything you think I can help with, PM me :smile: I might have done different topics though.
Original post by oharat
Just started Year 12 and it's great and all, really enjoying my subjects (Psych, Socio & Eng Lit) but I can feel my depression get worse and due to health issues I'm always tired and yawning despite 10-11 hours sleep at night. I'm thinking of taking time off - maybe 2-3 months - to sort out my health and get myself back on track. Is it advisable and does it get harder? If so, how?

I tried talking to the Head of Year about moving to a college as it might be more beneficial and he agrees but apparently the formula funding is already in and I can't change until next year for A2...

Thanks anyway

Hey, I also suffered from fatigue and depression during year 12 (still dealing with it tbh, I'm in year 13 now). Definitely seek medical help (e.g. medications, therapy, the lot lol)

I don't really know what formula funding is but it kind of depends what your school policy is regarding the A level reform. Will you be expected to take AS level exams this year? will they count for anything? (I dont actually know a lot about the new a levels)

I would suggest taking time off but perhaps not 3 months, I think that would be a bit much. It does definitely get harder in terms of content just because youll have more to deal with (Tho I did not do any of your subjects or even similar subjects). However, You might find it better noit to take much time off (e.g. maybe ask the school if you can take days of the week off) because it might be harder to get back into it after a long time off if that makes sense
Reply 5
Original post by timelizard
Hey, I also suffered from fatigue and depression during year 12 (still dealing with it tbh, I'm in year 13 now). Definitely seek medical help (e.g. medications, therapy, the lot lol)

I don't really know what formula funding is but it kind of depends what your school policy is regarding the A level reform. Will you be expected to take AS level exams this year? will they count for anything? (I dont actually know a lot about the new a levels)

I would suggest taking time off but perhaps not 3 months, I think that would be a bit much. It does definitely get harder in terms of content just because youll have more to deal with (Tho I did not do any of your subjects or even similar subjects). However, You might find it better noit to take much time off (e.g. maybe ask the school if you can take days of the week off) because it might be harder to get back into it after a long time off if that makes sense

Yeah I'm currently attending Psychotherapy every Thursday and I've been on SSRIs since last October but I can feel myself slumping more and more.
It's worth mentioning that I retook Year 9 when I moved schools from one borough to the other - they didn't have space in Year 10 so they tool me in Year 9, Thus, I should ideally be at uni next year; HOY said this is an issue in applying to college next year because I'll have to pay as I'll a
already be 18 which kinda goes against the "16-18 Free Education" policy.
Reduces chances of any time off or retakes ToT

Quick Reply

Latest