The Student Room Group

Receiving death threats from my family

I am a 25 year old Muslim girl who is marrying her Hindu boyfriend. I have been estranged from my family for 3 years after their refusal to accept my lovely boyfriend and his family. His family have accepted me wholeheartedly for which I am very thankful but recently my family have got in touch. They have been sending me death threats via email, phone and post despite my efforts to block them. I want nothing to do with them and I don't believe these are serious threats but I am still really worried and so is my boyfriend and his family. Should I report them to the police? I still care for them but I don't want to abide by their draconian rules. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, report them.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am a 25 year old Muslim girl who is marrying her Hindu boyfriend. I have been estranged from my family for 3 years after their refusal to accept my lovely boyfriend and his family. His family have accepted me wholeheartedly for which I am very thankful but recently my family have got in touch. They have been sending me death threats via email, phone and post despite my efforts to block them. I want nothing to do with them and I don't believe these are serious threats but I am still really worried and so is my boyfriend and his family. Should I report them to the police? I still care for them but I don't want to abide by their draconian rules. What should I do?

yes definitely report them
Reply 3
I am so sorry to hear about your situation.
Yes, you should report it to the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If I was your boyfriend I would show them no mercy
Report them NOW and move somewhere else temporarily. Let the police decide whether the threats are serious or not. There is absolutely no place for 'honour killings' in our society. Please don't become another news story.
Original post by Hibzish
How can u choose a boy who u may easily breakup with over your own family? Even ur own mother that is just disgusting. I say u apologise to them right now and try to make amends.
:no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If my own family made death threats I wouldn't ever want to see them again.
Hmmmm personally I wouldn't get myself into a relationship with a non-Muslim cos things get so complicated, like your situation here. You do need to make amends with your family, are you getting married to him?
Anyways OP, you need to report them to the police RIGHT NOW and change all your contact information so that they can no longer harrass you. I would also suggest you don't reply to them or keep in touch at all, just ignore them, report them to the police and move on with your life without your psychotic family.
(edited 8 years ago)
Keep the evidence, take it to the police. I hope you're okay.
Original post by Anonymous

Do not take any threats lightly. Inform the police.
You should quickly inform the police. If the police are slow to take action then you should go see your minister. if that too fails then you should go look for your local newspaper and see if they will want to report on this issue. sometimes pressure from the media can make the police and minister wake up from their deep slumber and do their jobs.
Reply 12
Say you do marry your Hindu boyfriend and cut off with your family, what are you going to do if your partner leaves you?
Think about that for a moment.
Original post by HAnwar
Say you do marry your Hindu boyfriend and cut off with your family, what are you going to do if your partner leaves you?

Sounds like she's better off without a family threatening to kill her..?!
Original post by HAnwar

I see what you're saying but you could also argue opposite.

Say she breaks up with her boyfriend and goes back to living with her family. Great. She now lives with people who threatened to kill her.
Reply 15
Original post by abruiseonthesky
Sounds like she's better off without a family threatening to kill her..?!

How do you know it's her whole family?
Original post by HAnwar

Well I don't know for sure it's her whole family, but the inference is from OP's post that it is. If it isn't her whole family, surely those who aren't sending threats should be willing to support her regardless and will be there whatever happens.
Reply 17
Seriously!
How can anyone advise her to go back to her family. The same family who sending her death threats.
Are out of your mind.
OP Ignore these idiots,

IF HER FAMILY WAS NOT SENDING HER DEATH THREATS, I WOULD PROBABLY GIVE THE SAME ADVICE. HOWEVER THE FAMILY HAS SHOWN THEIR TRUE COLORS. THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT HONOR.
Lanat aisi family par
Reply 18
Original post by Student403
I see what you're saying but you could also argue opposite.

Say she breaks up with her boyfriend and goes back to living with her family. Great. She now lives with people who threatened to kill her.

Like I said to the user above, is it her whole family or not? She hasn't specifically said, so should she risk breaking off her entire family when there could be one or two to help?
Original post by HAnwar

Well I highly doubt if she'd been estranged by some random uncle/aunt or basically someone not-so-close that she'd have to leave her home

Latest

Trending

Trending