The Student Room Group

Time to change our attitude towards America

We are very disrespectful towards America and American culture. Seems like we cant go more than a few sentences without taking some jab at them. This is a trend that I find disturbing. America saved Europe from the Nazis, they subsidize our national safety today as well. They are the most innovative country, yet we still mock them. I would like for us to become more respectful

Scroll to see replies

Nah
Native American Genocide that is all.
Reply 3
Original post by jambojim97
Native American Genocide that is all.

they have made errors, everyone has. but without america we would not have: the internet, good music, good movies, etc. they contribute more to the wellbeing of the world than anyone else.
Reply 4
America is a huge and the most powerful nation in the world. And like with anything when you the most powerful you are going to get haters.
The US is also a very immature state only as old as Jamaica with grotesque Human Rights record and an out-of-control Plutocracy.
They need our maturity and guidance more than we need them. A healthy disrespect is in order.
they mock us, we can mock them too surely?
if they brand us a bunch of posh tea-sipping toffs, surely we can brand them stupid rednecks?
surely it's a two-way street? literally, pretty much all americans see us like that - it's a bit more than just a generalisation. even americans I've met who were *trying* *not* to stereotype brits even did it in imaginable ways. at least we as brits can see americans in a rational way - it's a shame they can't do it back
(edited 8 years ago)
but LoL they have michelle bachmann/sarah palin/donald trump/republicans, how could we not mock them
America bombed a doctors without borders hospital and didn't stop when they called them up about it lol.

Original post by Skeptique
The US is also a very immature state only as old as Jamaica with grotesque Human Rights record and an out-of-control Plutocracy.They need our maturity and guidance more than we need them. A healthy disrespect is in order.

This. Saudi Arabia 0.2
Reply 9
Original post by driftawaay
but LoL they have michelle bachmann/sarah palin/donald trump/republicans, how could we not mock them

True, but look at some of the clowns we have (without mentioning any names).
I'm sure the Yanks would mock us - if they had any knowledge of the outside world!
We should mock them more imo.
Original post by nucdev
True, but look at some of the clowns we have (without mentioning any names).
I'm sure the Yanks would mock us - if they had any knowledge of the outside world!

Honestly the UK doesn't have nearly as many loonies as the yanks, or at least they aren't taken seriously to the point where they run for office etc, they are kept away from the mainstream and are paraded as zoo animals in the UK, whereas in the US they actually have millions of supporters
Original post by ChickenMadness
America bombed a doctors without borders hospital and didn't stop when they called them up about it lol.

This. Saudi Arabia 0.2

To anyone not blinded by bias, it was clear that that was a collateral damage case. Unfortunate, but not criminal.

Anyone who compares America's human rights records with Saudi Arabia's needs to get out of the bubble of trendy US-hating and wake up to reality. This is a state that regularly performs public beheadings; honestly, how deluded can you get?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quanty
they have made errors, everyone has. but without america we would not have: the internet, good music, good movies, etc. they contribute more to the wellbeing of the world than anyone else.

american student?
Original post by Quanty
without america we would not have: the internet.

Please explain...
Original post by StrangeBanana
To anyone not blinded by bias, it was clear that that was a collateral damage case. Unfortunate, but not criminal.

Anyone who compares America's human rights records with Saudi Arabia's needs to get out of the bubble of trendy US-hating and wake up to reality. This is a state that regularly performs public beheadings; honestly, how deluded can you get?

America is a state that regularly performs lethal injection lol. Are you dumb?
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Please explain...

Um, I'm guessing he'll say something along the lines of "Vinton cerf + Robert Kahn invented the internet and they are both American."(?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Please explain...

direct result of american military research. without it, internet would not exist. god knows the UK wouldn't have been able to make it
Original post by Quanty
We are very disrespectful towards America and American culture. Seems like we cant go more than a few sentences without taking some jab at them. This is a trend that I find disturbing. America saved Europe from the Nazis, they subsidize our national safety today as well. They are the most innovative country, yet we still mock them. I would like for us to become more respectful

History is always taught in schools from your own countries' narrative. Russia didn't play a part? Did they not push back the Nazis from advancing beyond Moscow in 1942(with a little help from winter)? Who advanced on Berlin from the east in 1945? What part did the US play in the battle of Britain ? America didn't save Europe from the Nazis, the allies did ; it was a collective effort.
Please explain...

Original post by Quanty
direct result of american military research. without it, internet would not exist. god knows the UK wouldn't have been able to make it

Oops, I was wrong. :teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending