The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Biology Coursework help needed!

I need to do a research topic for my A2 Edexcel Biology CW. Since I am applying to Dentistry in Uni, and I have already sent my personal statement and everything off is there any point in doing something related to dentistry for the coursework? Will it help?

If so what things can I do it about?

Things that I need to note down:
- Equipment for experiment/research
- A2 (and beyond) knowledge the experiment will be based on
- What statistical tests will be used? And how will I use it?
- My rationale behind it

Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
is anyone doing biology A2 AQA???
Reply 2
Bump, anyone please?
Reply 3
Original post by Susta1nz
I need to do a research topic for my A2 Edexcel Biology CW. Since I am applying to Dentistry in Uni, and I have already sent my personal statement and everything off is there any point in doing something related to dentistry for the coursework? Will it help?

If so what things can I do it about?

Things that I need to note down:
- Equipment for experiment/research
- A2 (and beyond) knowledge the experiment will be based on
- What statistical tests will be used? And how will I use it?
- My rationale behind it

Thank you!

I did this course... is it SNAB?

I did mine on the effect of caffeine on reaction times. I'm not sure how you would conduct accurate dental research at this level that involved statistical analysis. Perhaps something to do with brushing times or something? Without clinical data such as plaque or periodontal indices (which you're not qualified to take) it's going to be difficult to make this relevent.
Reply 4
Original post by Kartace
I did this course... is it SNAB?

I did mine on the effect of caffeine on reaction times. I'm not sure how you would conduct accurate dental research at this level that involved statistical analysis. Perhaps something to do with brushing times or something? Without clinical data such as plaque or periodontal indices (which you're not qualified to take) it's going to be difficult to make this relevent.

I am not sure whether it is SNAB, I think it may be.

And that's what I was thinking, it would be hard especially since the school lab doesn't have a licence to get teeth.

So do you think I should do it based on teeth since I am doing Dentistry, or do you think I should do something which can make it a bit more easier and get better marks?

What are some chemical alternatives to teeth or what can I use to see how alcohol or acids etc affect teeth colours, sensitivity etc? And how could I measure sensitivity if I am able to find a chemical alternative to teeth?

Thank you for the reply btw :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Susta1nz
I am not sure whether it is SNAB, I think it may be.

And that's what I was thinking, it would be hard especially since the school lab doesn't have a licence to get teeth.

So do you think I should do it based on teeth since I am doing Dentistry, or do you think I should do something which can make it a bit more easier and get better marks?

What are some chemical alternatives to teeth or what can I use to see how alcohol or acids etc affect teeth colours, sensitivity etc? And how could I measure sensitivity if I am able to find a chemical alternative to teeth?

Thank you for the reply btw :smile:

In my honest opinion i don't think you should try and make it directly relevant to dentistry the subject matter is too complex really for you to be able to derive meaningful results.

There are typodonts (plastic teeth) that we use to drill, but these won't really help you with anything as they're all standardised. As for measuring tooth colour with alcohol/acid you would need really teeth and tbh acid and alcohol don't have a huge impact on tooth shade - it's more to do with tannins in the diets. It would also be impractical to test this outside of the mouth. As for testing sensitivity i don't think that you'd be able to do this outside of the mouth and it's a notoriously difficult thing to quantify even for professionals.

My one suggestion would be to try and get hold of some extracted teeth from dental surgeries and measure the dimension of them (make sure you ask the dentist which teeth they are!) Then you could compare this using standard deviation or something. You could also leave the teeth in different acids at different concentrations and then comment upon the effect of the acid over time.

However, i do think actually that making this relevent to dentistry is going to make life harder for you.
Reply 6
heolloo.. would anyone be able to post their coursework on here, as it may help people
I'm pretty sure it has to be an ecological study

My hypothesis is that there is a statistically significant difference between height to lead ratio of Salad Burnet on and off a footpath on a fixed sand dune
Reply 8
Original post by Kartace
In my honest opinion i don't think you should try and make it directly relevant to dentistry the subject matter is too complex really for you to be able to derive meaningful results.

There are typodonts (plastic teeth) that we use to drill, but these won't really help you with anything as they're all standardised. As for measuring tooth colour with alcohol/acid you would need really teeth and tbh acid and alcohol don't have a huge impact on tooth shade - it's more to do with tannins in the diets. It would also be impractical to test this outside of the mouth. As for testing sensitivity i don't think that you'd be able to do this outside of the mouth and it's a notoriously difficult thing to quantify even for professionals.

My one suggestion would be to try and get hold of some extracted teeth from dental surgeries and measure the dimension of them (make sure you ask the dentist which teeth they are!) Then you could compare this using standard deviation or something. You could also leave the teeth in different acids at different concentrations and then comment upon the effect of the acid over time.

However, i do think actually that making this relevent to dentistry is going to make life harder for you.

I guess I should stick to something more simple and maybe do enzymes or some stuff like that. Nothing dentistry related in any way then I guess, so I can secure good marks and make it easy for myself. Just thought it may have shown an interest to studying Dentistry in my interview or something if I talked about it.

Getting teeth from dental surgeries would be very difficult I'm guessing :frown:

Thank you so much for the replies!
Original post by urteeththo
I'm pretty sure it has to be an ecological study

My hypothesis is that there is a statistically significant difference between height to lead ratio of Salad Burnet on and off a footpath on a fixed sand dune

are u doing AQA 2016 BIO A2???
Original post by mismash
heolloo.. would anyone be able to post their coursework on here, as it may help people

Are you doing bio a2 2016 aqa??? also are u doing an empa or a ISA??
Original post by edward090
are u doing AQA 2016 BIO A2???

no,this thread is for the edexcel biology A2 coursework
we dont do empas/any practicals as part of our A2 grade like you do for aqa

Quick Reply

Latest