The Student Room Group

It's me the "Omggggg i want to cry all my hard effort!!!!" UPDATE!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadly
Yeah I put it up on 2 websites, smallseotools to check for plagiarism and paperrater to check the grammar

If its been published on 2 sites then im afraid your writing a 3rd copy...at least you know the RG deadline isnt real
Reply 21
Original post by BekahMay
If its been published on 2 sites then im afraid your writing a 3rd copy...at least you know the RG deadline isnt real

It hasn't been "published". It's just a plagiarism checker :erm:
Reply 22
Original post by m3m
Wait, are you sure those websites store your info?

Apparently smallseotools as a plagiarism checker doesn't hold information so I'm so happy!! but I'll ask paperrrater about their data handling in an email
Lol, private messages aren't flagged because they are private. Don't listen to those people.
Reply 24
Original post by sadly
Apparently smallseotools as a plagiarism checker doesn't hold information so I'm so happy!! but I'll ask paperrrater about their data handling in an email

Good. :yy: Just stop posting your ps everywhere damn.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by m3m
Good. :yy: Just stop posting your ps everywhere damn.

lol...okay :giggle:
I sent my PS to someone on here and nothing happened
There used to be a section on this forum where applicants could submit their personal statements, but I think they've removed it now :/ OP, if you do decide to send your PS to someone via PM, please ensure they're trustworthy :tongue:
Original post by Alexion
Even private messages will still be flagged up on the plagiarism check...

wat

Original post by Alexion
However, inboxes do, so I wouldn't risk it :/

wat. where is the line of reasoning that comes to this

It's a bad idea to message people your PS, but that's not the reason. Unless UCAS now has a way to hack TSR and break the hashes it likely uses to store your private messages with a NASA supercomputer, there's no risk it'll be flagged. :P

The risk is that someone then plagiarises you from the PM and UCAS sees the match in two different personal statements.
Original post by CloakedSpartan
wat

wat. where is the line of reasoning that comes to this

It's a bad idea to message people your PS, but that's not the reason. Unless UCAS now has a way to hack TSR and break the hashes it likely uses to store your private messages with a NASA supercomputer, there's no risk it'll be flagged. :P

The risk is that someone then plagiarises you from the PM and UCAS sees the match in two different personal statements.

Damn, sounds like I've been lied to by some people who don't trust the web :lol:

I was told that it picks up the phrasing anywhere, regardless of security :tongue:

I'll admit that I was a little doubtful...
Original post by sadly
Hii everybody!

I'll cut to the chase, I never found that USB but I started again and my school's deadline is approaching in 2 days!!

I'm planning on doing English at university level and I kinda want to ask you all a favour? Can you proof read what I've done so far PRIVATELY AND DON'T DOWNLOAD IT JUST SAVE AND READ IT PLEASE I killed my first born and ate all of my village's crops in haste to do this!!

Thank you all and god bless!!

I'll be happy to read it for you, i wrote my PS in one day right before the deadline, and got a response the day after the deadline day, so i'm guessing i must have the skills :smile:
Original post by Alexion
Damn, sounds like I've been lied to by some people who don't trust the web :lol:

I was told that it picks up the phrasing anywhere, regardless of security :tongue:

I'll admit that I was a little doubtful...

Let me put it this way. If I put my PS onto a USB stick, is it now going to get flagged for plagiarism because it's in 2 places? :wink:

Still a bad idea, though, for the other reasons I mentioned.

Also guys plagiarism checkers don't publish data, that makes *no* logical sense at all that they would publish things input into their site. Come on. :P Even if they STORE it for some unknown reason, I don't think a plagiarism checker that checks your work against the net is then promptly going to publish your work onto the net so that it can be flagged for plagiarism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CloakedSpartan
Let me put it this way. If I put my PS onto a USB stick, is it now going to get flagged for plagiarism because it's in 2 places? :wink:

Still a bad idea, though, for the other reasons I mentioned.

OK, that's a different situation :tongue: PMs are still stored on the interwebs...

But yeah, still not good :frown:
You shouldn't post your PS on a public site like TSR, as it will be cached by Google.

You shouldn't send your PS to anyone you don't know over the internet, as you have no control over what happens to it afterwards (e.g. they could use it themselves, post it publicly, or send it to someone else who copies it). Only send it to teachers, family (i.e. people you can 100% trust).

Plagiarism checkers are fine to use online. Not sure about the grammar check site you mentioned, but assuming it doesn't post your PS anywhere publicly it should be fine. If it has a person checking it, it MAY be less safe, but if it's a reputable site they should have checked the trustworthiness of the helpers (like the old TSR PS Help Service and the new paid review service).
(edited 8 years ago)
I am good at criticising you can send it to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending