The Student Room Group

UCAS mistake!

So today i sent off my UCAS and noticed a mistake in track.

I missed "in a" out of the sentence "help me in a higher education enviroment". Im so upset because its been proof read so many times by lots of people

Also ucas cut a speech mark off the end.

Will this prevent me from getting offers??:s-smilie::frown:
You might as well start preparing your application to become a slave now, buddy. /s

It's fine, they don't care. :smile:
Original post by stormh0ld
So today i sent off my UCAS and noticed a mistake in track.

I missed "in a" out of the sentence "help me in a higher education enviroment". Im so upset because its been proof read so many times by lots of people

Also ucas cut a speech mark off the end.

Will this prevent me from getting offers??:s-smilie::frown:

It's unlikely that one mistake in your PS will stop you getting offers, although I can understand why you are upset. If it's just gone to your referee, I believe they can send it back to you so that you can amend it, so check with them and see if they can do this.
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It's unlikely that one mistake in your PS will stop you getting offers, although I can understand why you are upset. If it's just gone to your referee, I believe they can send it back to you so that you can amend it, so check with them and see if they can do this.

Its already been sent off. The rest of it is fine. But theres that and the speech mark my referee has accidently cut off. Im so upset.
Reply 4
Original post by CloakedSpartan
You might as well start preparing your application to become a slave now, buddy. /s

It's fine, they don't care. :smile:

Are you sure? I thought it might look careless. :frown:
In most cases, when you press pay & send on ucas your application doesn't actually get sent off to universities because it goes to your referree first - usually someone like a head of department/faculty at your school or college. If this is the case, your referee will check your application before they send it off and it goes to universities. There was a problem with one of the education details on mine so my application was sent back to me and when I had ammended it I sent it off again and it went back to my teacher. So if this is what your school does just get in touch with the teacher processing your application asap.

If this isn't the case and your application has been sent to ucas to go straight to universities, I'd try calling ucas and explain that you made a mistake. Try speaking to someone at school too because they might be able to advise you best. Remember that there are lots of factors they consider, not just personal starements, so it might not be as bad as you think! Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy
In most cases, when you press pay & send on ucas your application doesn't actually get sent off to universities because it goes to your referree first - usually someone like a head of department/faculty at your school or college. If this is the case, your referee will check your application before they send it off and it goes to universities. There was a problem with one of the education details on mine so my application was sent back to me and when I had ammended it I sent it off again and it went back to my teacher. So if this is what your school does just get in touch with the teacher processing your application asap.

If this isn't the case and your application has been sent to ucas to go straight to universities, I'd try calling ucas and explain that you made a mistake. Try speaking to someone at school too because they might be able to advise you best. Remember that there are lots of factors they consider, not just personal starements, so it might not be as bad as you think! Good luck!

Its already been sent off as i got my welcome email, the rest is perfect besides those 2 silly mistakes. Ive emailed my tutor straight away about it. I'm just worrying it will get me rejected!
Its already been sent off as i got my welcome email, the rest is perfect besides those 2 silly mistakes. Ive emailed my tutor straight away about it. I'm just worrying it will get me rejected!

To be honest I think as long as you're not applying to Oxbridge or a competitive course like medicine, vet med, dentistry, maybe psychology, then they won't judge you too harshly on it. At the end of the day if you have the predicted grades, good as and gcse grades, a decent reference and the rest of your personal statement is good, then you should be ok. I'm sure that you won't be the only one!

I would still say that it's worth giving ucas a ring though. I believe they have a helpline with advisors who might be able to help, or at least reassure you if they can't do anything about it.
Reply 8
Original post by theperksofbeingnerdy
To be honest I think as long as you're not applying to Oxbridge or a competitive course like medicine, vet med, dentistry, maybe psychology, then they won't judge you too harshly on it. At the end of the day if you have the predicted grades, good as and gcse grades, a decent reference and the rest of your personal statement is good, then you should be ok. I'm sure that you won't be the only one!

I would still say that it's worth giving ucas a ring though. I believe they have a helpline with advisors who might be able to help, or at least reassure you if they can't do anything about it.

I'll try and give them a ring tomorrow. My predicted is A*AB and my AS was AAC. Unfortunatley im applying for Psychology. At Birmingham, UEA and Southampton. That's why its such a worry. Thankyou for being helpful though!
I'll try and give them a ring tomorrow. My predicted is A*AB and my AS was AAC. Unfortunatley im applying for Psychology. At Birmingham, UEA and Southampton. That's why its such a worry. Thankyou for being helpful though!

Ucas won't let you change a typo. It is really not worth getting worked up about. If you didn't notice it when you were checking it over, it's unlikely that they will notice it either. It will not make the slightest difference to whether you get an offer or not.
Reply 10
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Ucas won't let you change a typo. It is really not worth getting worked up about. If you didn't notice it when you were checking it over, it's unlikely that they will notice it either. It will not make the slightest difference to whether you get an offer or not.

Thankyou for that! I literally had to read it extremely closely to notice. Its one of those errors where your mind fills in the words for you, without realising!
Thankyou for that! I literally had to read it extremely closely to notice. Its one of those errors where your mind fills in the words for you, without realising!

Well, it'll do the same for them. They won't be reading it as closely as you have done, I am quite certain.

If it's any consolation, I do psych at Southampton and the department (generally) is quite laid back/understanding so I highly doubt a few missing words will make much difference to your overall application. I'm sure the other universities will be very similar if not the same.
Reply 13
Original post by dakanabelle
If it's any consolation, I do psych at Southampton and the department (generally) is quite laid back/understanding so I highly doubt a few missing words will make much difference to your overall application. I'm sure the other universities will be very similar if not the same.

Its just the words "in a". You can see it was a mistake as the rest was really formal. Hopefully they'll look past it! I'd love to go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending