The Student Room Group

Running In Winter??

How do you cope with the early nights and the bad weather? I wouldn't run in the dark and I'm losing motivation. Any tips?
Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

I find running with people really helps. Didn't run last winter due to injury / illness. Have run previous winters though. May run during the day instead. However, it's still rather warm!
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
I find running with people really helps. Didn't run last winter due to injury / illness. Have run previous winters though. May run during the day instead. However, it's still rather warm!

Haha I know ~I'm still running in t shirts, just wondering. I might look into joining a running club/pester friends to take it up
I have a dayglow long sleave top, tracksters running hat and running gloves for winter. I love going cross country when it snows, its less icy than pavement and its pretty. At night run on well lit streets.
I actually find it easier to run in the winter because when it's cold, you don't overheat/sweat as easily and I find that I can go longer as a result
I really like running in the dark, just stick to relatively busy areas. The only thing I dislike is that I can't go out on the country tracks and footpaths as they're pitch black. For the cold, just dress appropriately. Get some thermals for when it's REALLY bad and otherwise just layer, make sure you have gloves and get something to cover your neck/head if you need it. I think it's quite important to have proper kit in winter and the cold feels 10x worse if your clothes are damp, so you want decent tech materials which won't retain moisture and a waterproof if it rains heavily. It is SO nice coming in from a winter run to a hot shower and then curl up with a hot water bottle and warm drink.

Also, train smart. No need for super long work outs in horrific weather. I do more strength work in the winter, sprints, tempo etc and only go long if I feel like it. I also set myself a target number of days to go out (3 minimum, ideally 4) and then choose the days, so if it rains and is horrible I just go tomorrow, if it's been three days since I last worked out I know I need to man up and go, it's only 25 minutes to run a quick 5k, 25 minutes of discomfort is nothing really.
Reply 6
This last couple of days running I've noticed that it's no longer t-shirt weather. So I have started wearing a base layer with a long sleeved football jersey alongside hat and gloves.

I don't have much running gear so this does for me. I don't mind the cold weather however the wind does affect my performance. With regards to running in the dark, just stick to well lighted areas.
I've just switched from shorts to long tights and from vests to t shirts. When it gets colder I usually later a long sleeve over a vest for more layers. I'm looking at buying a light waterproof for this winter too. May also invest in a head torch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
The strong wind :hide:

But I tend to run anyway; I use my mp3 for motivation :smile:
Original post by Vicky628
How do you cope with the early nights and the bad weather? I wouldn't run in the dark and I'm losing motivation. Any tips?
Thanks!!

Having run in all weathers (literally no joke) running in winter is easier for me because you sweat less and therefore you don't overheat. If you really can't intrinsically motivate yourself, take music. I can't run without it, I find it takes my mind off the pain! 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wear a head torch and wolly hat if its dark and a cost if it's snowing, other than that I run as normal
If you have a sweatshop running shop in your town they organise group runs for all abilities once or twice a week, then there's the parkruns on Saturday mornings, that does it for me really. I prefer running in the winter too.
As many other people have said find other people to run with. I can't get to the end of the road on my own but can happily run 5 miles with friends. The coffee at the end also helps. Music is good too. Running when it's dark is fine as long as you stick to well lit roads and wear something bright. Again find people to run with and the dark stops being a problem.
Reply 13
Original post by tanyapotter
I actually find it easier to run in the winter because when it's cold, you don't overheat/sweat as easily and I find that I can go longer as a result

I find it easier in the summer because I lose my breath a lot easier in the cold. Not that I'm any good in either scenario:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are few more pleasurable activities than a 6 am run in the depths of winter. Just remember to wear something reflective, take it easy with the ice and wear a balaclava.
Invest in a decent head torch. I also have some reflective bands with lights on them which cost me a few quid.

I agree with the advice given - stick to well lit areas, try to run in a group, etc.
Reply 16
Original post by OU Student
Invest in a decent head torch. I also have some reflective bands with lights on them which cost me a few quid.

I agree with the advice given - stick to well lit areas, try to run in a group, etc.

I have reflective bands and a bright jacket for when I run on roads ~ nowhere around here is well lit, unless it's a duel carriageway...

& thanks for the advice @everyone :h:
Yeh I find it quite tricky to stay motivated too. I have a long-sleeved top but it won't keep me warm once we reach the depths of winter. I am going to look into the light jackets, I've seen Nike and Adidas ones in runnign shops but I might try eBay or Sports Direct, unless anyone knows of any deals going? They're pretty expensive otherwise.

I am a bit dubious about wearing a hat whilst running, feels like it would get pretty sweaty and gross straight away? I wear gloves to keep my hands turning to ice.

Generally in winter I lose motivation and stop running, I cycle for tranpsort so end up relying on that :s-smilie:

Ed
Reply 18
Original post by Ed Phelan
Yeh I find it quite tricky to stay motivated too. I have a long-sleeved top but it won't keep me warm once we reach the depths of winter. I am going to look into the light jackets, I've seen Nike and Adidas ones in runnign shops but I might try eBay or Sports Direct, unless anyone knows of any deals going? They're pretty expensive otherwise.

I am a bit dubious about wearing a hat whilst running, feels like it would get pretty sweaty and gross straight away? I wear gloves to keep my hands turning to ice.

Generally in winter I lose motivation and stop running, I cycle for tranpsort so end up relying on that :s-smilie:

Ed

I wear a hat during winter for running and it's fine for me, but it takes a lot for me to sweat anyway lol

Motivation isn't a problem for me, I just feel the cold very easily at the best of times.
Original post by zKlown
I wear a hat during winter for running and it's fine for me, but it takes a lot for me to sweat anyway lol

Motivation isn't a problem for me, I just feel the cold very easily at the best of times.

Do you wear a normal knitted hat? Or are there special running ones that I haven't found yet?!

Ed

Quick Reply

Latest