The Student Room Group

Advices on a-levels?

I'm a yr 11 student and my current estimated grades for the GCSEs are quite low, this is because I just moved school . However, I think that I'm a good student and I will be able to achieve A*-C in all of the subjects at the end of the year. What I was thinking is, should I take 3 or 4 A-levels? When should I take 3 and when should I take 4? One of the subjects I'm really willing to do is further maths. Can you advise me?
Original post by CFCITBC
I'm a yr 11 student and my current estimated grades for the GCSEs are quite low, this is because I just moved school . However, I think that I'm a good student and I will be able to achieve A*-C in all of the subjects at the end of the year. What I was thinking is, should I take 3 or 4 A-levels? When should I take 3 and when should I take 4? One of the subjects I'm really willing to do is further maths. Can you advise me?

By when do you mean if? :s-smilie:

I'm taking 4 A-levels and I'd definitely say it's possible! The biggest thing though, in my opinoin, is whether you enjoy the subject or not, of the four I'm doing, I genuinely enjoy three (one is just something I have to have for what I want to do, although I do still like it!), and that makes it a LOT easier! If you like something it's a lot less effort (well it feels like less effort) to put the work in.

So if you can find four subjects you think you'll really enjoy and do well in then go for it! If not, taking three and getting good grades in those rather than average grades in four is probably better! (say AAB vs. BBCC).

I don't know about your school, but mine said if four are too many I can give one up (so long as it's not too late into the course!), so ask your teachers about that, and if that's the case for you too, you could always try doing four and then drop one if the workload isn't manageable :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CFCITBC
First thing I would say is don't be put off by predicted grades. I was predicted mostly C's and D's in my GCSE's, I was lazy but I knew with a bit of work I could get A's and B's (which I did). Taking 3 or 4 really depends on how much you are good at/enjoy the subject, and how much effort you're willing to put in. I would advise that you see how well you can do with GCSE's with reasonable effort. A levels, for a lot of subjects, aren't neccesarily "harder" content wise, they just demand more time due to the amount you need to learn. If you can get A's in your subjects with a few hours for each subject per week, I imagine you could handle 4 a levels if you were gifted or enjoyed them enough. Even if you can't, you can always drop one after AS or even during AS so no harm in trying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kugelmugel
By when do you mean if? :s-smilie:

I'm taking 4 A-levels and I'd definitely say it's possible! The biggest thing though, in my opinoin, is whether you enjoy the subject or not, of the four I'm doing, I genuinely enjoy three (one is just something I have to have for what I want to do, although I do still like it!), and that makes it a LOT easier! If you like something it's a lot less effort (well it feels like less effort) to put the work in.

So if you can find four subjects you think you'll really enjoy and do well in then go for it! If not, taking three and getting good grades in those rather than average grades in four is probably better! (say AAB vs. BBCC).

I don't know about your school, but mine said if four are too many I can give one up (so long as it's not too late into the course!), so ask your teachers about that, and if that's the case for you too, you could always try doing four and then drop one if the workload isn't manageable :smile:

Yeah obviously I'm going to choose subjects that I enjoy. Do you think that the college will deny me to do 4 a levels because of my low estimated grades? I don't know how it works
Reply 4
Original post by jamb97
First thing I would say is don't be put off by predicted grades. I was predicted mostly C's and D's in my GCSE's, I was lazy but I knew with a bit of work I could get A's and B's (which I did). Taking 3 or 4 really depends on how much you are good at/enjoy the subject, and how much effort you're willing to put in. I would advise that you see how well you can do with GCSE's with reasonable effort. A levels, for a lot of subjects, aren't neccesarily "harder" content wise, they just demand more time due to the amount you need to learn. If you can get A's in your subjects with a few hours for each subject per week, I imagine you could handle 4 a levels if you were gifted or enjoyed them enough. Even if you can't, you can always drop one after AS or even during AS so no harm in trying :smile:

Oh, I was actually upset by my low estimated grades. Thank you for the advice I will work hard to get mostly A's and B's
If you're in year 11 now then you should definitely do 4 AS Levels, make the decision at the end of year 12 whether to drop one, not now. Almost everyone does 4 AS Levels.
Reply 6
Original post by CFCITBC

Do 4! Especially if you're going to do Further Maths. :smile:
As far as I understand, most students will take 3 A levels as standard from 2015 onwards (so the current year 12s onwards), and my sister is in year 11 right now and applying to sixth form, and her sixth form says you need almost all A/A* grades at GCSE tp be allowed to do 4, so you might have some convincing to do! I'm sure it's possible though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending