The Student Room Group

AS Mathematics S1 mean, variance and standard deviation for coded data

This is the question:
A mathematics student has been asked to calculate some properties of the volumes, x cm^3, of a sample of 8 solid objects. To make the calculations easier he decides to subtract 200cm^3 from each volume. His results can be summarised as:
Σ(x-200) = 17000
Σ(x-200)^2 = 86000000

I have found the coded mean (2325) and the coded standard deviation (2497). The last part is to calculate the value of Σ(x-300). Please could someone tell me how to do it or give me hints on how to do it, thanks.
Original post by samanthayates98
This is the question:
A mathematics student has been asked to calculate some properties of the volumes, x cm^3, of a sample of 8 solid objects. To make the calculations easier he decides to subtract 200cm^3 from each volume. His results can be summarised as:
Σ(x-200) = 17000
Σ(x-200)^2 = 86000000

I have found the coded mean (2325) and the coded standard deviation (2497). The last part is to calculate the value of Σ(x-300). Please could someone tell me how to do it or give me hints on how to do it, thanks.

You've already worked out the sum of (x-200), so what will be the difference between that and the sum you're looking for?
Original post by SeanFM
You've already worked out the sum of (x-200), so what will be the difference between that and the sum you're looking for?

Thanks but im still not sure how to do it. The answers in the back say it is 16200 but i dont know how they got it.
Original post by samanthayates98
Thanks but im still not sure how to do it. The answers in the back say it is 16200 but i dont know how they got it.

Σ(a + b + c) = Σa + Σb + Σc, where a, b and c can be anything.

Eg Σ(x^2 + 1) = Σx^2 + Σ 1, and the sum of n 1's is n. (1 + 1 + 1... n times).

Now think about what has been given to you in the question and what you've worked out, and what the hint in this post is trying to tell you.

Quick Reply

Latest