The Student Room Group

Gay Serial killer suspect 'drugged victims'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
Oh it was a GAY serial killer? That's crucial information. Why didn't you also include his favorite sex positions in the title?

Why even mention that it was a human? That's so discriminatory towards people.

They mentioned his age, sex and name as well. It's actually shameful ngl.

Original post by Danz123
Precisely. His sexuality is irrelevant. The fact is he killed people, and yet you put 'gay' as the first word of the title as if it's the MOST important thing about this story...
Well it makes more sense grammatically to say 'Gay serial killer' rather than 'Serial killer that is gay'
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=ChickenMadness;60071069]Why even mention that it was a human? That's so discriminatory towards people.

Well it makes more sense grammatically to say 'Gay serial killer' rather than 'Serial killer that is gay'

When a heterosexual person commits murder, you never see headlines like 'STRAIGHT SERIAL KILLER'. It's only when it's a gay person.
When a heterosexual person commits murder, you never see headlines like 'STRAIGHT SERIAL KILLER'. It's only when it's a gay person.

That's because you assume they're straight since that's what the majority of people are.
Original post by ChickenMadness
That's because you assume they're straight since that's what the majority of people are.

No, it's because it has no relevance to the story but when it's a gay murderer, they immediately highlight the fact either out of homophobia or to make it more sensational since a serial killer isn't interesting enough but when it's a gay one, well someone might click.
apparently two of the victims were found on separate occasions by the same dog walker ...

the poor guy must be traumatised...
Original post by the bear
apparently two of the victims were found on separate occasions by the same dog walker ...

the poor guy must be traumatised...

LMAO omg.
No, it's because it has no relevance to the story but when it's a gay murderer, they immediately highlight the fact either out of homophobia or to make it more sensational since a serial killer isn't interesting enough but when it's a gay one, well someone might click.

It doesn't even mention he's gay in the article. OP just mentioned it because he supposedly knows him personally and is giving extra information about the killer and his personal experience.

You can make the same argument about literally any piece of information. "Oh he's a human being? How is that relevant?"
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't even mention he's gay in the article. OP just mentioned it because he supposedly knows him personally and is giving extra information about the killer and his personal experience.

You can make the same argument about literally any piece of information. "Oh he's a human being? How is that relevant?"
Didn't you get the memo? It's now very fashionable to be outraged by anything nowadays.

Highlighting the fact that he is gay in the title does not contribute anything to the story or the fact that OP talked to him on Grindr. It's irrelevant whether this particular article mentions he is gay or not, I'm just saying there have been plenty of instances of headlines with 'gay man murders x' or 'lesbian lover chokes x', so basically OP sounds like those homophobic and sensaitonalist journalists at this point.

And it isn't like mentioning the usual stuff they mention about people in articles such as their age and their name or where they live, because they mention those things in articles about everyone, it's just general praticebut they never mention 'btw this person is heterosexual'.
Why even mention that it was a human? That's so discriminatory towards people.

Still doesn't seem relevant to me tbh, it's just like saying MUSLIM serial killer etc etc. when the article says nothing about him being muslim, but the OP knows he's muslim and so thought it was vital info... it isn't.
Highlighting the fact that he is gay in the title does not contribute anything to the story or the fact that OP talked to him on Grindr. It's irrelevant whether this particular article mentions he is gay or not, I'm just saying there have been plenty of instances of headlines with 'gay man murders x' or 'lesbian lover chokes x', so basically OP sounds like those homophobic and sensaitonalist journalists at this point.

And it isn't like mentioning the usual stuff they mention about people in articles such as their age and their name or where they live, because they mention those things in articles about everyone, but they never mention 'btw this person is heterosexual'.

It is actually completely relevant since he met him on grindr lol. OP is gay as well supposedly don't see how that would be homophobic. He's basically just recounting events.

Bruv it's not an article. It's a dude making a thread about something that happened to him on an internet forum.

I actually want to know what happened etc when someone tells me a story. Pretty damn boring if someone just came up to me and said "omg did you hear what happened? A something stabbed another something the other night."
'Oh **** really? Any other details?'
"Nah I can't tell you anything else because it would be discriminatory"
'Oh'

Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Didn't you get the memo? It's now very fashionable to be outraged by anything nowadays.

lmao.

Original post by Danz123
Still doesn't seem relevant to me tbh, it's just like saying MUSLIM serial killer etc etc. when the article says nothing about him being muslim, but the OP knows he's muslim and so thought it was vital info... it isn't.

Well ye it is anything is relevant. It builds a picture of the serial killer. Some people don't care and some other people would be interested to know what type of person they are. It's like reading a book where they don't describe the characters or anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31

And it isn't like mentioning the usual stuff they mention about people in articles such as their age and their name or where they live, because they mention those things in articles about everyone, it's just general praticebut they never mention 'btw this person is heterosexual'.

Gotto say I agree with chicken sh*t or whatever his name is.

It is relevant from OPs perspective. I don't think I've ever actually heard in the news of a gay serial killer before lol. Sorta interesting.
Well ye it is anything is relevant. It builds a picture of the serial killer. Some people don't care and some other people would be interested to know what type of person they are. It's like reading a book where they don't describe the characters or anything.

Anything is relevant? Not sure you understand what 'relevant' means. lol

Sure, when it comes to describing said person, yes, but their religion or sexuality shouldn't be the single most important thing about them and included in the title.
It is actually completely relevant since he met him on grindr lol. OP is gay as well supposedly don't see how that would be homophobic. He's basically just recounting events.

No... if a straight person met someone on Tinder and then later found out that said person is a serial killer, they would certainly not make a thread on TSR saying 'Straight serial killer drugged victims'. I'm not saying OP is homophobic, but even gay people can say something homophobic even if it's unintentional. It is common to see headlines where it starts with 'gay person did x' even if the story has nothing to do with the fact that the person is gay.

I actually want to know what happened etc when someone tells me a story. Pretty damn boring if someone just came up to me and said "omg did you hear what happened? A something stabbed another something the other night."
'Oh **** really? Any other details?'
"Nah I can't tell you anything else because it would be discriminatory"
'Oh'

lmao.

Well as I said, telling somebody's gender or age etc isn't 'discriminatory' since those things are mentioned about everyone in journalism, it's just general information.
Original post by JD1lla

It is relevant from OPs perspective.

No.. it isn't.
No... if a straight person met someone on Tinder and then later found out that said person is a serial killer, they would certainly not make a thread on TSR saying 'Straight serial killer drugged victims'. I'm not saying OP is homophobic, but even gay people can say something homophobic even if it's unintentional. It is common to see headlines where it starts with 'gay person did x' even if the story has nothing to do with the fact that the person is gay.

Well as I said, telling somebody's gender or age etc isn't 'discriminatory' since those things are mentioned about everyone in journalism, it's just general information.

Nah because everyone just assumes they're straight until it's stated otherwise lmao. It may be general information but I can still complain about it like you are "Awh hell nah they mentioned he's a man. I'm so pissed off right now that's sexist."

But ye. Lets just conclude this discussion because I completely disagree lol.

No.. it isn't.
It is. Just because you say it isn't doesn't mean it true lol.
Reply 36
omg OP don't PUT YOURSELF IN THAT POSITION AGAIN :eek:

holy ****!
Just count your lucky stars and delete that app as soon as you can!
Nah because everyone just assumes they're straight until it's stated otherwise lmao.

The OP who is a male mentioned in his post that he met him on Grindr plus the link also states that that it was men that he killed, so reading the thread and the actual article, everybody knows that the serial killer is gay. There is no reason to highlight this fact in the title as it has no relevance to the story whether he killed man or women or what his sexual orientation is.

It is. Just because you say it isn't doesn't mean it true lol.

Just because he says it is doesn't mean it's true either lol.
The OP who is a male mentioned in his post that he met him on Grindr plus the link also states that that it was men that he killed, so reading the thread and the actual article, everybody knows that the serial killer is gay. There is no reason to highlight this fact in the title as it has no relevance to the story whether he killed man or women or what his sexual orientation is.

Just because he says it is doesn't mean it's true either lol.

OP has summarised all of that information in a single word. Which is good. That's what you want in a title. So I have no idea how you can argue it's not relevant. Irrelevant information would be saying "the sky is blue" or "2 + 2 = 4."

editted the maths lool.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending