The Student Room Group

Some advice? :]

Hey everyone,

I was on an Masters in Maths with Physics degree, but due to circumstances, I have switched off and decided to graduate with a 2(i) BSc Hons, I will not delve into the reasons why.

If I'm honest I only have an interest in data, analyzing it and deducting/debating conclusions, but accounting and finance is something I can do, and something I'd like to do also. I am pretty lost, if I'm honest the only area that really interests me would be doing research at the LHC or being an astronaut, or being in the police. But yeah, I'm out for a year I want to go back and do my masters at some point then do a PhD unless I find a passion in the business world.

I never done any internships as I was leaving it to my final year to get the experience, as to be honest the year was stressful enough and I wanted focus on getting fit and healthy during that time over the holidays. (Serious routines very exhausting).
I've never worked part time whilst studying because I've never had any expensive habits (£30 a month on gym, £57 every 1.5 months on protein powder).

So effectively I have very little experience, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any decent advice on what you'd suggest me doing from here? Grad Schemes are 2016, where I may be back at University doing my Masters, I need something short term like an internship, but they seem really hard to get.

I also have A*BB at a level

I can get into jobs if I lie and bull****, I'm a good actor, but lying is not my style.

I'm really tired so excuse any poor grammer.

Thanks,
Jonathan
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JonathanM
Hey everyone,

I was on an Masters in Maths with Physics degree, but due to circumstances, I have switched off and decided to graduate with a 2(i) BSc Hons, I will not delve into the reasons why.

If I'm honest I only have an interest in data, analyzing it and deducting/debating conclusions, but accounting and finance is something I can do, and something I'd like to do also. I am pretty lost, if I'm honest the only area that really interests me would be doing research at the LHC or being an astronaut, or being in the police. But yeah, I'm out for a year I want to go back and do my masters at some point then do a PhD unless I find a passion in the business world.

I never done any internships as I was leaving it to my final year to get the experience, as to be honest the year was stressful enough and I wanted focus on getting fit and healthy during that time over the holidays. (Serious routines very exhausting).
I've never worked part time whilst studying because I've never had any expensive habits (£30 a month on gym, £57 every 1.5 months on protein powder).

So effectively I have very little experience, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any decent advice on what you'd suggest me doing from here? Grad Schemes are 2016, where I may be back at University doing my Masters, I need something short term like an internship, but they seem really hard to get.

I can get into jobs if I lie and bull****, I'm a good actor, but lying is not my style.

I'm really tired so excuse any poor grammer.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Why not actuarial ? It probably suits your academic background more, also there's data science.

Accountancy is pretty dull.
Reply 2
Original post by bijesh12
Why not actuarial ? It probably suits your academic background more, also there's data science.

Accountancy is pretty dull.

Good suggestion, sounds more suited to me you're correct. Do you know a good way for me to start applying or getting into it?
Good suggestion, sounds more suited to me you're correct. Do you know a good way for me to start applying or getting into it?

Grad schemes ? it'll have to for the next intake though as most are probably closed or near to closing.

If not you could just get a job in some kind of data role (graduate jobs NOT schemes) - data analyst, business analyst etc.. build up some commercial work experience which will build the competencies / skills companies are looking for.

Academically you're sound with a 2:1 in a maths and physics degree so no need to worry about that. You could start taking actuarial exams if you're interested in that route. Don't be hasty though take your time and take a well informed decision.

You should research on your own and make a decision for yourself. People will have different opinions on things so best thing is taking your own viewpoint on it.

Actuarial is well paid, but there's a LOT of commitment required so again don't be hasty and jump on the bandwagon because of the pay !!

I started of in Accountancy thinking it's good, hated it because it wasn't one bit challenging and never lived up to my expectations then changed to Actuarial where I've loved it thus far.

Make sure you do adequate research so that you know the Industry rather than take someone's word for it.
Reply 4
Original post by bijesh12
Grad schemes ? it'll have to for the next intake though as most are probably closed or near to closing.

If not you could just get a job in some kind of data role (graduate jobs NOT schemes) - data analyst, business analyst etc.. build up some commercial work experience which will build the competencies / skills companies are looking for.

Academically you're sound with a 2:1 in a maths and physics degree so no need to worry about that. You could start taking actuarial exams if you're interested in that route. Don't be hasty though take your time and take a well informed decision.

You should research on your own and make a decision for yourself. People will have different opinions on things so best thing is taking your own viewpoint on it.

Actuarial is well paid, but there's a LOT of commitment required so again don't be hasty and jump on the bandwagon because of the pay !!

I started of in Accountancy thinking it's good, hated it because it wasn't one bit challenging and never lived up to my expectations then changed to Actuarial where I've loved it thus far.

Make sure you do adequate research so that you know the Industry rather than take someone's word for it.

I was filling out a form for PwC I reached a question about a facing client and such, the question is easy if I knew what to do but I got no idea.

I completely lacked the knowledge to answer it I know nothing about who the **** audits for PwC. They're deadline for applications is in 8 days but I can't be arsed to research it and formulate a paragraph that makes me seem like I know who they see.

I have been looking at Graduate Jobs but they're so competitive, some guy rang me about a data analyst job, said he'd E-mail the details and never got back to me!

Would you be able to advise me a good website to apply for graduate jobs of that sort? As data analytics, writing reports based on that, making decisions from it and so on does intrigue me.
Reply 5

If you've got good people skills, and would like to apply these, I'd consider accounting over actuary.

Also, the exams are twice as harder and the training contracts are probably 5 times more difficult to land.

Read up on what you'll be doing as an actuary, it's very speciailised pension/insurance work.
Not really sure what advice you're looking for. You talk about how competitive the jobs are, there are thousands of people applying to graduate audit at pwc every year and you 'can't be arsed to research' to fill out an application form.
Reply 7
I know what im doing and all about it. I'm 21 and went through a traumatic event during the same period as my exams(60 creds worth). I hate wasting time so forced myself to do this, nevermind the the fact i suffer from test anxiety so in effect I'm scared, I can do any job any job I am just sick of being tested, I thought that ended with uni. I still need to recover. Its dumb but irrespective of logic i cant control my body, i tell myself ill be fine logically, body gives 0 ****s. I'm not one to get traumatised ever, I'm a strong individual I just let my guard down once as I wouldn't feel human otherwise and God do I regret it! Haha. I filled in the form for PwC very well in fact and was invited to do some tests within the next 3 days for numerical reasoning, now it's like bitch pls look at my degree, but its not even that it's the test anxiety so I didn't bother as I applied on a whim to begin with, was still educational learning about their sector and finance is something I'm interested in. It's stupid, but I'm recovering. Got an assessment centre I'm a few hours can't sleep at all even though it should be fine.
Reply 8
Hey everyone,

I'm really tired so excuse any poor grammar.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Sometimes life really gets ontop but there is ALWAYS a way out if you stick to your guns.

sounds like you need to make a decision:

1. masters or grad scheme
2. Finance or asturaunt
3. PHD or business

Now im not saying it is either/or Im saying some of these things will take alot of time and commitment and you probably couldnt do them in paralell.

I would say once you have decided on number 1, you should follow your PASSION and don't be afraid to so what you dont want if it will lead you to what you do want to do in life.

FITNESS - health is important, ignore all the people that may call it vain but when you feel good in your own skin NOTHING can defeat that...you give off an awesome aura so this is KEY!

Lastly I will say your grads are SOUND 2:1 / A*BB you shouldnt have a problem getting a grad scheme you just have to HUSTLE for it.

MOTIVATION - a little motivation for you...I have no a levels / a crappy foundation course/ and a 2:1 from a uni where someone once told me:

"were not looking at your uni for graduates for our scheme"

Well...I got one...8 months it took me to get in the door but I got one.....

Keep fighting!
Reply 9
Original post by kennyize
Sometimes life really gets ontop but there is ALWAYS a way out if you stick to your guns.

sounds like you need to make a decision:

1. masters or grad scheme
2. Finance or asturaunt
3. PHD or business

Now im not saying it is either/or Im saying some of these things will take alot of time and commitment and you probably couldnt do them in paralell.

I would say once you have decided on number 1, you should follow your PASSION and don't be afraid to so what you dont want if it will lead you to what you do want to do in life.

FITNESS - health is important, ignore all the people that may call it vain but when you feel good in your own skin NOTHING can defeat that...you give off an awesome aura so this is KEY!

Lastly I will say your grads are SOUND 2:1 / A*BB you shouldnt have a problem getting a grad scheme you just have to HUSTLE for it.

MOTIVATION - a little motivation for you...I have no a levels / a crappy foundation course/ and a 2:1 from a uni where someone once told me:

"were not looking at your uni for graduates for our scheme"

Well...I got one...8 months it took me to get in the door but I got one.....

Keep fighting!

Cheers buddy :smile:
I literally couldn't apply for grad schemes they made me too anxious due to the fact I have bad test anxiety. I'm back to normal now though, done a numerical reasoning test found it incredibly easy, as opposed to last time I tried I froze up and couldn't read the information, stupid body! I'm on it pal, going to work for a few years (2-3) then go back and do my masters so that I wont waste time after my masters looking for a job, in case I want to delay my PhD. Cheers pal.

I only have one real dream, to have that which I can't see in front of me. I can already see what my life will bring doing a 9-5 in any sector, how my life will develop and so on. I only have one interest though. That's why I study physics, it can bring about what I can't predict or see infront of me. Naturally I'm a leader, but I want to venture into the unknown. Boldly. No fear of no return. As insane as it sounds imagine being strapped to a chair with that mindset!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending