The Student Room Group

Nottingham Industrial Eco or Leeds BSc Eco?

Whats the better degree and institution suitable for a career in investment banking , preferably Front/Middle Office. Or is there no chance of getting into IB from these unis?

Nottingham - BSc Industrial Economics - AAB
Leeds - Bsc Economics - AAA

Please any feedback will be much appreciated.
Original post by Student1245
Whats the better degree and institution suitable for a career in investment banking , preferably Front/Middle Office. Or is there no chance of getting into IB from these unis?

Nottingham - BSc Industrial Economics - AAB
Leeds - Bsc Economics - AAA

Please any feedback will be much appreciated.

Notts hands down, without a doubt. It's a solid semi-target; Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Rothschild etc all sponsor the finance society, I know a ton of people from Notts who've had success with Spring Weeks. Leeds, on the other hand, is a non-target.

Before you ask the silly question of 'I thought an Econ degree would be more respected', just don't. The degree means very little. Your skills, qualities, grades and work experience are much more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Notts hands down, without a doubt. It's a solid semi-target; Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Rothschild etc all sponsor the finance society, I know a ton of people from Notts who've had success with Spring Weeks. Leeds, on the other hand, is a non-target.

Before you ask the silly question of 'I thought an Econ degree would be more respected', just don't. The degree means very little. Your skills, qualities, grades and work experience are much more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks just a little nervous since i am applying tomorrow. Can you also give me some help with my other choices if their suitable for IB?

Bristol - Eco - AAB (Contextual)
Exeter - Eco and Finance - (A*AA - AAB)
Leeds - Eco - AAA (if i complete Access to Leeds scheme it's ABB)
Notts - Ind. Eco - AAB
Kent - Eco - BBB (Insurance)

Im predicted AAA.

Thanks,
Ok thanks just a little nervous since i am applying tomorrow. Can you also give me some help with my other choices if their suitable for IB?

Bristol - Eco - AAB (Contextual)
Exeter - Eco and Finance - (A*AA - AAB)
Leeds - Eco - AAA (if i complete Access to Leeds scheme it's ABB)
Notts - Ind. Eco - AAB
Kent - Eco - BBB (Insurance)

Im predicted AAA.

Thanks,

I'd throw in Durham's Finance course in place of Exeter - it's AAB.

For your insurance I would go with Loughborough.

Although, if you're happy with your choices as they stand - there's not much point in me telling you to change them.
Reply 4
I'd throw in Durham's Finance course in place of Exeter - it's AAB.

For your insurance I would go with Loughborough.

Although, if you're happy with your choices as they stand - there's not much point in me telling you to change them.

Thanks for that. And in regards to Exeter, is it not a targeted Uni for IB? Would Durham give me a better chance since it's higher on the rankings? I'm intrigued in applying there since i know the entry requirements are reasonable compared to Exeter.
Thanks for that. And in regards to Exeter, is it not a targeted Uni for IB? Would Durham give me a better chance since it's higher on the rankings? I'm intrigued in applying there since i know the entry requirements are reasonable compared to Exeter.

Uni rankings don't mean anything, the only one you should refer to is this:https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

Yes, Durham sends the most into IB within amongst the semi-targets. Exeter isn't really that represented.
Notts Industrial Eco
Reply 7
Uni rankings don't mean anything, the only one you should refer to is this:https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking

Yes, Durham sends the most into IB within amongst the semi-targets. Exeter isn't really that represented.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time.
Just wanted to ask since Southampton is high in the linkedln list would it be a good choice for Economics. I know most students go there for the Engineering, so would IBs recruit only the engineers or economic grads aswell?
Sorry for taking up so much of your time.
Just wanted to ask since Southampton is high in the linkedln list would it be a good choice for Economics. I know most students go there for the Engineering, so would IBs recruit only the engineers or economic grads aswell?

It's not really that high, that's the one anomaly on the list tbh. I'd pick something like Loughborough over Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not really that high, that's the one anomaly on the list tbh. I'd pick something like Loughborough over Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know this is really late compared to when this thread was made! From a choice of Economics at Bath, Nottingham, or Surrey what would you recommend? With regards to investment banking? And then possibly for going into economic consultancy because that's what I really love.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by azizadil1998
I know this is really late compared to when this thread was made! From a choice of Economics at Bath, Nottingham, or Surrey what would you recommend? With regards to investment banking? And then possibly for going into economic consultancy because that's what I really love.

Thanks in advance!

First two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers:smile: How is Loughborough in ur opinion for eco?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending