The Student Room Group

**Hong Kong Non-JUPAS Applicants 2016**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lai812matthew
What's with the obsession with tables? Surrey was ranked the fourth best uni in UK in 2014 Guardian Table. High rank in the table isn't equal to its prestigious. UST would topple HKU's first place if everything is based purely in rankings. CityU is ranking higher than PolyU for almost every tables.
p.s. I think HKU is better than CUHK in everything, and thus explains the high tarriff for them.

So the fact that I think Polytechnic is better than City despite the latter ranking higher than the former shows that I am obsessed with tables?

On a side note, HKUST has only ever toppled HKU in engineering, which HKU sucks at.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
So the fact that I think Polytechnic is better than City despite the latter ranking higher than the former shows that I am obsessed with tables?

On a side note, HKUST has only ever toppled HKU in engineering, which HKU sucks at.

perhaps science? the tariffs for the two unis are similar.
Original post by fedorahat88
The sad truth is that tables decide almost everything, from employers feedback to campus facilities. So why should we trap and bind ourselves to prestige when the presently, UST aims to drive forward and HKU is just not getting it's job done on the ranking tables. P.S. I know HKU is better than CUHK too.

I agree, but it depends whether the rankings are accurate or not, and by now, every ranking do not truly reflect the real ability of universities, cause it was just difficult to compare.
deadlines for fast trackers and main rounders has been updated!
perhaps science? the tariffs for the two unis are similar.

Which universities are you talking about?
Which degree would you guys choose ( in terms of employment prospects, graduate salary etc.)?

Warwick/ucl bsc economics (working in the UK). VS. Cuhk LLB (working in hk)
Original post by Baalaje31
Warwick/UCL for BSc would be my choice, and oddly enough, I was forced to decline Warwick for the same course when I applied. HKU Econs is more financially viable for me and the living costs that my friends in the UK have are astronomical. I can't speak for CUHK at all, let alone LLB :P

And as I've heard from many people, getting a work permit after graduating in the UK has become harder. Thanks, Cameron. As if paying 17k GBP per year wasn't enough of a deterrent.

true for the latter part, if you don't have a uk passport or living in uk for over 10 years i.e. studying in uk since year 7 or 8. it's almost impossible to get a job in the market, let alone a good job.
Original post by thesmallman
Which degree would you guys choose ( in terms of employment prospects, graduate salary etc.)?

Warwick/ucl bsc economics (working in the UK). VS. Cuhk LLB (working in hk)

I'd choose most degrees over LLB in Hong Kong.

It's really unfortunate because PCLL is very competitive in Hong Kong, and the LLB doesn't actually qualify you to do anything.
Warwick/UCL for BSc would be my choice, and oddly enough, I was forced to decline Warwick for the same course when I applied. HKU Econs is more financially viable for me and the living costs that my friends in the UK have are astronomical. I can't speak for CUHK at all, let alone LLB :P

And as I've heard from many people, getting a work permit after graduating in the UK has become harder. Thanks, Cameron. As if paying 17k GBP per year wasn't enough of a deterrent.

You don't have to work in the UK after a UK degree. You get an advantage working in Hong Kong having come back from the UK, usually. And Warwick and UCL are well-known universities in Hong Kong.
You don't have to work in the UK after a UK degree. You get an advantage working in Hong Kong having come back from the UK, usually. And Warwick and UCL are well-known universities in Hong Kong.

I understand, but I'm also under the impression thy econs degrees aren't perceived as prestigious as they are in the UK? Do you know if this is true??
Original post by thesmallman
I understand, but I'm also under the impression thy econs degrees aren't perceived as prestigious as they are in the UK? Do you know if this is true??

Econ degrees are prestigious in the UK?

I don't think you should worry about 'prestige' when it comes to looking for jobs. It's not like you can become an economist.

In HK, the prestigious degrees are medicine (dentistry is often forgotten), law (even though you will end up not being a lawyer), and global business. Literally nothing else.

Makes sense.

Econ degrees are prestigious in the UK?

I don't think you should worry about 'prestige' when it comes to looking for jobs. It's not like you can become an economist.

In HK, the prestigious degrees are medicine (dentistry is often forgotten), law (even though you will end up not being a lawyer), and global business. Literally nothing else.

I thought Econs degrees were popular, right? Or am I wrong?

True, most people who study economics end up in IB/stockbroking/government. Becoming an economist is a goal for the long haul.

Yeesh, sounds like India. Replace law with engineering (end up in an IT company/bank regardless of your engineering course), and global business with a commerce degree + the ridiculous chartered accountancy exams.

Also, do you have an idea about the employment prospects for HKU Econs grads?

True, most people who study economics end up in IB/stockbroking/government. Becoming an economist is a goal for the long haul.

Yeesh, sounds like India. Replace law with engineering (end up in an IT company/bank regardless of your engineering course), and global business with a commerce degree + the ridiculous chartered accountancy exams.

I don't think economics is popular. E&F is popular.

99.7% of everyone graduating from HKU get a job, so there's no issues there. But E&F's graduate prospects are massively overstated - they have people with very high salaries, but on average the salary is actually quite low. Econ would probably be worse.
Makes sense.

Yeah apparently econ degrees aren't popular at all in Hong Kong, whereas finance and business degrees are.

It's quite confusing cuz it's the direct opposite of the situation in the UK, where economics is probably the most competitive degree ( almost as competitive as medicine), and business is viewed as a soft subject.

Hard to adapt to two ends of the spectrum haha
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Sorry to butt into your conversation but I am thinking about applying for a degree in Biological Sciences in the UK, preferably Zooogy tbh. However, the dismal truth is, money is an issue so I am looking for alternatives. Although I know the latter is not available in any HK unis, would you say getting into a HK uni for general Biological sciences is hard? which ones are the best at it and what do these universities ask for?
Oh and FYI Non-Jupas

What are your grades? Biological sciences isn't very competitive in hk
Original post by Kwokse
Hi guys! I want to apply for HKU's IBGM programme but I just have 3A1B for AS level (predicted A*AA).
Do I have a shot???

Not too sure but IBGM is one of the really popular programme offered at HKU and it is really competitive. According its website, its international examination scores mentioned were 41 out of 45 for IB or A*A*A* for A levels for 2014 admissions. But I guess it would worth giving a shot rather than not doing it at all.
Is an A*AB good enough for CityU Global Business?
Thanks guys.
Be nice please.
Original post by CourtlyCanter
Since Mandarin is not my first language, I've opted to take the Cambridge Pre-U Mandarin exam and I've got a D3(Distinction 3) out of it. D3 is equivalent to an A in A-levels. I am also going to take A-Level Chinese(Cantonese), Biology, Maths and Physics for A2. I think I am predicted with an A*, A, B and C for these subjects respectively.
I was told when it comes to GCSEs( for university purposes), only English and Maths matter. I got an A* in English Language, A in English Literature and an A in GCSE Maths. A* in L1/2 FSMQ Maths which I heard is equivalent to GCSE Maths.
Thanks in advance.

Personally, I think it's worth a shot, but you may not be one of the strongest candidates.
Original post by fedorahat88
Is an A*AB good enough for CityU Global Business?
Thanks guys.
Be nice please.

yes
yes

you have won the internet thanks mate .. if you ever come to stan cafe in stanley you will get 2 baguettes on the house

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending