The Student Room Group

Apply for foundation or standard course?

I'm in my final year of college and applying to universities for Comp Science. I'm retaking maths for a GCSE as I currently hold a D in the subject. I have a PPP in a previous computer related course, and predicted to get at least DDM in the current media course I'm studying.

What I'm worried about is applying for a full course through UCAS over a foundation year. I don't want to miss out on my opportunity to receive an offer because I didn't apply for the foundation year. With my current qualifications as well as my predicted and upcoming ones, I'm torn over which kind of course to apply for. Would they offer a foundation year if I got an offer but did not meet standard course levels? Or would I need to explicitly apply for a foundation year? Would these qualifications be enough to get into a standard course or is it worth applying for the foundation year?

All help greatly appreciated!
Original post by Manyula
I'm in my final year of college and applying to universities for Comp Science. I'm retaking maths for a GCSE as I currently hold a D in the subject. I have a PPP in a previous computer related course, and predicted to get at least DDM in the current media course I'm studying.

What I'm worried about is applying for a full course through UCAS over a foundation year. I don't want to miss out on my opportunity to receive an offer because I didn't apply for the foundation year. With my current qualifications as well as my predicted and upcoming ones, I'm torn over which kind of course to apply for. Would they offer a foundation year if I got an offer but did not meet standard course levels? Or would I need to explicitly apply for a foundation year? Would these qualifications be enough to get into a standard course or is it worth applying for the foundation year?

All help greatly appreciated!

Apply for the standard courses - once your application has been processed contact any universities you've applied for that offer a foundation year and ask them to consider you for the foundation year if they're not able to make you an offer into Yr1.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Apply for the standard courses - once your application has been processed contact any universities you've applied for that offer a foundation year and ask them to consider you for the foundation year if they're not able to make you an offer into Yr1.

Nice, thanks man.
I'm confused about the 'once the application has been processed' part. Does this mean when they have given me a decision about a placement? Or at an earlier stage?
Original post by Manyula
Nice, thanks man.
I'm confused about the 'once the application has been processed' part. Does this mean when they have given me a decision about a placement? Or at an earlier stage?

It means once you get your welcome letter from UCAS.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
It means once you get your welcome letter from UCAS.

Okay. Thanks a lot man, you've been a big help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending