The Student Room Group

Feminists don't hate men, but it doesn't matter if they did

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

I don't like how she is making out that white men have amazing lives even though most suicides are done by white men in this country. How does that work?
Reply 2
I do feel feminist gets too much criticism on tsr but that article is just ridiculous
Original post by Eggs20
I don't like how she is making out that white men have amazing lives even though most suicides are done by white men in this country. How does that work?

Or most likely to be homeless, or be a victim of physical violence
Reply 4
Original post by Eggs20

It's a ridiculous mindset, I know. You can't just group a population together and call them privileged no matter what.

Also, I hate how she dismisses misandry as nothing.

Don't read opinion pieces in the Guardian.

It is three minutes of your life you'll never get back.
Reply 6
Sometimes The Guardian feels like a British version of The Onion
Reply 7
Original post by Eggs20
I do feel feminist gets too much criticism on tsr but that article is just ridiculous

Sometimes they really say the most stupid things on tsr though
Reply 8
Original post by chocolate hottie
Don't read opinion pieces in the Guardian.

It is three minutes of your life you'll never get back.

I know that now, but the title was so outrageous I couldn't resist....
Original post by Eggs20
This is, after all, from a writer who once called for the end of catcalling, only for a year later to complain that she no longer gets catcalled:
I understand what she's saying, that having a tshirt saying 'male tears' is nowhere near women being raped and killed for being women, which is true, but I don't really think it's advancing the feminist cause in any way, if anything it just perpetuates the idea that gender-based insults are okay. And when you say 'it's only a bit of fun' in reference to a male tears tshirt, it kind of makes it okay for men to continue to use the excuse 'it's only a bit of fun' when they make sexist or rape jokes. Plus it's not doing a lot to eradicate the stereotype that feminists hate men - she is here in this article, but if someone was walking down a street with a male tears tshirt, how could you know if it was just a joke or they actually meant it? (After all, some women - a very small number - genuinely do hate men).

Plus men also face sexism in situations, such as when they enter professions such as nursing, or try to get custodial care of their children. So I just don't think it's helpful for anyone.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
I know that now, but the title was so outrageous I couldn't resist....
And so you created a thread with a clickbait title which was so outrageous we couldn't resist either...
Reply 12
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
This is, after all, from a writer who once called for the end of catcalling, only for a year later to complain that she no longer gets catcalled:

The hypocrisy is killing me.
This is, after all, from a writer who once called for the end of catcalling, only for a year later to complain that she no longer gets catcalled

in the first article she is calling for the culture of catcalling to end because it's intimidating for women.

In the second article she talked about how she no longer got catcalled because she was older and 'not attractive to men' anymore, not because the culture of catcalling had stopped.

Therefore the articles are not contradictory.
Reply 14
And so you created a thread with a clickbait title which was so outrageous we couldn't resist either...

Got me :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by lucymellor
in the first article she is calling for the culture of catcalling to end because it's intimidating for women.

In the second article she talked about how she no longer got catcalled because she was older and 'not attractive to men' anymore, not because the culture of catcalling had stopped.

She's trying to link to unattractiveness to sexism. Men and women stop being "attractive" when they get hold hence why they aim to stay youthful.
Reply 16
I understand what she's saying, that having a tshirt saying 'male tears' is nowhere near women being raped and killed for being women, which is true, but I don't really think it's advancing the feminist cause in any way, if anything it just perpetuates the idea that gender-based insults are okay. And when you say 'it's only a bit of fun' in reference to a male tears tshirt, it kind of makes it okay for men to continue to use the excuse 'it's only a bit of fun' when they make sexist or rape jokes. Plus it's not doing a lot to eradicate the stereotype that feminists hate men - she is here in this article, but if someone was walking down a street with a male tears tshirt, how could you know if it was just a joke or they actually meant it? (After all, some women - a very small number - genuinely do hate men).

Plus men also face sexism in situations, such as when they enter professions such as nursing, or try to get custodial care of their children. So I just don't think it's helpful for anyone.

Surely it would be more helpful to stop the "male tears jokes" rather than defending it? Rape jokes are just as unacceptable as man-hating jokes. All sexist jokes are unacceptable just like all racist jokes are unacceptable.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Surely it would be more helpful to stop the "male tears jokes" rather than defending it? Rape jokes are just as unacceptable as man-hating jokes. All sexist jokes are unacceptable just like all racist jokes are unacceptable.

That's what I'm saying.
CE1WWUzUMAAgNKY.png

She's an idiot. The irony is that if all women were like her, misogyny would be completely justified.

Fair enough, I get what you are going at, but I think it is still rather ridiculous to say that you think being catcalled is wrong, then a year later say that you miss being catcalled and not valued sexually by men and blame The Patriarchy™ for conditioning you into seeing yourself as a sex object.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending