The Student Room Group

First long drive alone

So I've been driving since October 2014, but I've never done a long drive myself before. My car is kept at my parents house and I'm in Glasgow studying. Due to work commitments I need to drive back up to Glasgow on Boxing Day (around a 2 hr drive, M77) this year so I'm trying to get in a bit of practice on the longer stretches of road and the motorway beforehand. It's mostly the motorway I'm afraid of to be honest, I've done loads of driving on A roads so that doesn't bother me.

I know the rules for driving on the motorway but I guess it's just fear of the unknown that's holding me back. So does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Specifically for motorways and staying focused during a longer drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2 hours? Thats not really a long drive..

Just stay at a constant speed and avoid changing lanes too often if you're worried. I find satnav helps alot even if its a route im familiar with because otherwise I miss the right junction.
Reply 2
Since you're driving on Boxing day it's going to be relatively quiet out on the roads I would imagine, so I wouldn't fret too much. Just relax, make sure you do your overtakes properly, and if you do feel panicky at any point just pull up at a service stop and take a break.
Reply 3
Original post by Reue

Just stay at a constant speed and avoid changing lanes too often if you're worried. I find satnav helps alot even if its a route im familiar with because otherwise I miss the right junction.

Haha yes I agree, not a long drive in the grand scheme of things but the longest I'll have done :smile: I've got a sat nav that I'll definitely be using.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Dez
Since you're driving on Boxing day it's going to be relatively quiet out on the roads I would imagine, so I wouldn't fret too much. Just relax, make sure you do your overtakes properly, and if you do feel panicky at any point just pull up at a service stop and take a break.

Yeah it probably will be quiet which I'm glad of :smile: I'll need to set off quite early too so even better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reue

I second this - if you're going to be driving late, or when you might be tired, then I normally leave the window open ever so slightly for some fresh air and listen to more upbeat music!

Plus, remember there are less accidents per mile on the motorway than normal roads :smile: just leave extra room on overtakes etc. and you'll soon get more confident.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue

You know any good GPS systems?
Reply 6
Original post by NOP97

I don't work in Halfords :biggrin:
Reply 7
You'll be fine, honestly.
Motorway driving is generally really easy, it sounds scary at first but once you're on it for a while you'll realise you were worrying for nothing :smile:

I passed my test in September and was at first very worried about doing my first motorway journeys on the M11 and M25.
And now, after doing the journeys quite a lot of times I'd say it's my favourite type of road to drive on, except when there's major delays of course.

Until you feel more comfortable, try and stay in the left hand lane, and just make sure you check your mirrors every now and then, along with remembering to always use your indicators while changing lanes.

And as already said, if you at all for some reason do get panicked or worried, just stop at the next service station :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Take breaks, perhaps bring someone along with you for moral support and if worst comes to worst try a SatNav for guidance.
Original post by NOP97

Take a look at Copilot app for your phone, but get a proper mount and charger cable as it will drain your battery and if you do not have the phone on a mount you leave yourself open to using a mobile phone whilst driving etc
Original post by LatexLover
Take a look at Copilot app for your phone, but get a proper mount and charger cable as it will drain your battery and if you do not have the phone on a mount you leave yourself open to using a mobile phone whilst driving etc

Even if it's on a mount you could probably still get pulled for it. I think you'll get pulled for messing with your satnav while driving as well so...
Original post by TheMcSame
Even if it's on a mount you could probably still get pulled for it. I think you'll get pulled for messing with your satnav while driving as well so...

So long as it is on a proper mount and not being used in the hand you are safe

The actual offence is deamed as below:

---------------

The use of a hand–held phone or similar hand–held device while driving is prohibited. A hand–held device is something that "is or must be held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function".

A device is "similar" to a mobile phone if it performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data. Examples of interactive communication functions are sending and receiving spoken or written messages, sending or receiving still or moving images and providing access to the internet.

-------------------------
If you can't get your hands on a sat nav maps sure you have a good look at a maps and write some notes.

Keep them simple, with things like junction and road numbers. To be honest I expect getting to where you need to be within Glasgow will be more daunting then the run up the motorway.
Pick a time and day when you know the roads won't be busy. For example, if you drive on a Saturday morning at around 4am, there'll hardly be any traffic and at that time, most A roads will be completely clear of any traffic at that time. This is probably your best course of action, I think it's the safest option for a beginner.

If you're nervous, you can drive at 60mph on the left lane.

Make sure you get some decent rest and sleep before you drive. Have a good meal before you set off.

There's nothing to be afraid of. For me, driving on motorways is less stressful than driving in busy city roads at peak traffic. If you're driving on the motorway late at night or early in the morning, you can have a very relaxed journey. It becomes very monotonous and boring if you're not doing anything, which is why I'm always listening to my favourite music while I drive.

Use a sat nav so that you know exactly which exits you need to take, slip roads, roundabouts, etc. And it tells you which lane you need to be in, it removes a lot of uncertainty and makes your journey much easier. For me, it's essential. It allows you to plan ahead.

Again, just to repeat...the best time to drive is very early in the morning on a weekend, the earlier the better.
Reply 14
Original post by That 2Fase
Pick a time and day when you know the roads won't be busy. For example, if you drive on a Saturday morning at around 4am, there'll hardly be any traffic and at that time, most A roads will be completely clear of any traffic at that time. This is probably your best course of action, I think it's the safest option for a beginner.

I'd be wary of driving too early in the morning, otherwise you have to deal with the dark and cold, and possibly ice as well.
Reply 15
Original post by Vitamin D
So I've been driving since October 2014, but I've never done a long drive myself before. My car is kept at my parents house and I'm in Glasgow studying. Due to work commitments I need to drive back up to Glasgow on Boxing Day (around a 2 hr drive, M77) this year so I'm trying to get in a bit of practice on the longer stretches of road and the motorway beforehand. It's mostly the motorway I'm afraid of to be honest, I've done loads of driving on A roads so that doesn't bother me.

I know the rules for driving on the motorway but I guess it's just fear of the unknown that's holding me back. So does anyone have any tips for a first timer? Specifically for motorways and staying focused during a longer drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on what size engine you have try and stick in the middle lane without lane hogging. That way, anyone approaching from behind will over take you and if you were to be stuck on the left lane you'd need to merge now and then to avoid the drivers coming out of a slip road which at times can be stressful as there are always vehicles speeding down the middle.

2 hours isn't the longest of drive but you can stop at every service station until you feel comfortable and confident whilst composing yourself
Original post by That 2Fase

If you're nervous, you can drive at 60mph on the left lane.

Make sure you get some decent rest and sleep before you drive. Have a good meal before you set off.

There's nothing to be afraid of. For me, driving on motorways is less stressful than driving in busy city roads at peak traffic. If you're driving on the motorway late at night or early in the morning, you can have a very relaxed journey. It becomes very monotonous and boring if you're not doing anything, which is why I'm always listening to my favourite music while I drive.

Use a sat nav so that you know exactly which exits you need to take, slip roads, roundabouts, etc. And it tells you which lane you need to be in, it removes a lot of uncertainty and makes your journey much easier. For me, it's essential. It allows you to plan ahead.

Again, just to repeat...the best time to drive is very early in the morning on a weekend, the earlier the better.

apart from having all the newly passed drivers that have the same idea :wink:
Original post by NOP97

All GPSs are practically programmed off Google Maps anyway, so in terms of how likely it is to get you to where you want to be they're more or less all the same. You pay more for the expensive ones because of the features, not the accuracy of the directions. Not saying just go for the cheapest one as some of the more expensive ones have features such as line guidance, live traffic updates, improved guidance visuals etc. that often prove invaluable.

I don't regret upgrading my old Garmin Sat Nav to a newer TomTom as it helps me avoid traffic jams and the diagrams for roundabouts show me exactly where to go so I can see that, if you're looking at the roundabout like a clock face, I can see the exit is at, say, 2 o'clock; whereas with the old one it just had a few different diagrams for different exit numbers so I still had to count the exits as I went round. But you can still get a cheap bog-standard one and it'll get you to where you want to be with voice instructions, and the free apps such as Google Navigation on the latest smartphones are getting just as good as the cheaper GPSs anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
2 hours is nothing mate
Reply 19
Original post by sandvika
2 hours is nothing mate

It's long to me, thanks for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending