The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

calm down and read my edit, then read the post where you accuse me of saying you consciously do it. Learn the difference between conscious and subconscious please.
Original post by abruiseonthesky
x
Original post by rat poison
calm down and read my edit, then read the post where you accuse me of saying you consciously do it. Learn the difference between conscious and subconscious please.

I know the difference thanks... you said subconscious, but the implication was that I was consciously doing it.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Yeah, myself and everybody else in the South American country I live in :rolleyes:

Do you? Whatever issues you have with your ethnic background are your own, don't try to apply them to everybody else.

You can say you live in South America but how am I to know.

I have no issues. I look mostly Indian so it makes sense. I already said it exists culturally across the globe. I didn't know there would have to be a debate about it.

Who in their right mind will deny that many people around the world want to look white?
Original post by abruiseonthesky
I know the difference thanks... you said subconscious, but the implication was that I was consciously doing it.

Stop. There is no implication. I said what I meant. You are subconsciously doing it, I hope. There's no need for me to imply anything with a keyboard; I have all the chance in the world to explain what I mean with text.

Now before I ignore you, please answer me this:

can you seriously deny that people want to look white? Can you seriously deny that there are mixed people who do not feel accepted by whites? I might be more informed in this area than you but it doesn't mean I'm making it up lol.
I'm mixed. Generally attracted to white people or oriental. Not that into black people or middle eastern.
You can say you live in South America but how am I to know.

I have no issues. I look mostly Indian so it makes sense. I already said it exists culturally across the globe. I didn't know there would have to be a debate about it.

Who in their right mind will deny that many people around the world want to look white?

Haha, I'm not going to lie about where I live just to try to win an internet argument. Lots of people on here know where I'm from and I've spoken about it many times in other posts. (Try googling my username in fact, and see what comes up). But yeah, it could still be an extremely elaborate lie I suppose.

I'm only calling you out on it because you brought up racial whitening in Latin America as an example of people wanting to look whiter (which I don't deny is the case for many people). It was a poor example, given that what you're talking about were systematic racist policies implemented by white people, not the other way around.

I grew up in London and in my experience, black people there have much more of a preoccupation with wanting to be whiter than anyone I've met here ever has. It's hardly even a thing here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by e aí rapaz
Haha, I'm not going to lie about where I live just to try to win an internet argument. Lots of people on here know where I'm from and I've spoken about it many times in other posts.

I'm only calling you out on it because you brought up racial whitening in Latin America as an example of people wanting to look whiter (which I don't deny is the case for many people). It was a poor example, given that what you're talking about were systematic racist policies implemented by white people, not the other way around.

I grew up in London and in my experience, black people there have much more of an issue with wanting to be whiter than anyone I've met here ever has. It's hardly even a thing here.

You grew up in London so you probably have a less academic view of whatever country you say you're in, and more of a social or subjective view, which is rubbish in an intellectual debate about facts.

Also do you even know what Adelanta la raza is? It's not exactly a Google-able thing. Adelante la raza is not implemented by whites at all.

It was imposed by Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic.

He was part Dominican, part afro-Haitian.

He was the Dominican Hitler, most say. He aimed to kill of/separate black Haitians from DR. He let Jews and Arabs come over to present a false European image of a mostly brown country. With his economic and defense achievements, the non-black Hispanics also implemented Adelante La Raza in their culture to reap the benefits, or they were treated horribly. He is also known to have a surplus of skin bleach and hair relaxer.

Adelanta La raza is practiced most strongly by mestizo/mulatto/moreno people. Know something before you accuse me, thanks.

Anyway have a nice day.
white or middle eastern
You grew up in London so you probably have a less academic view of whatever country you say you're in, and more of a social or subjective view, which is rubbish in an intellectual debate about facts.

Also do you even know what Adelanta la raza is? It's not exactly a Google-able thing. Adelante la raza is not implemented by whites at all.

It was imposed by Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic.

He was part Dominican, part afro-Haitian.

He was the Dominican Hitler, most say. He aimed to kill of/separate black Haitians from DR. He let Jews and Arabs come over to present a false European image of a mostly brown country. With his economic and defense achievements, the non-black Hispanics also implemented Adelante La Raza in their culture to reap the benefits, or they were treated horribly. He is also known to have a surplus of skin bleach and hair relaxer.

Adelanta La raza is practiced most strongly by mestizo/mulatto/moreno people. Know something before you accuse me, thanks.

Anyway have a nice day.

I'm not sure whether it's worth continuing the discussion, since you seem to be taking it kind of personally.

Dominicans seeking out whiter partners in an effort to improve their lives under a racist regime is not really the same as people subconsciously desiring to be whiter though, is it? And that was what you were originally saying. It's almost the opposite - it seems an entirely logical, conscious decision.

I suppose your point would hold weight if that behaviour continues today, on a more subconscious level. I'm not gonna pretend I know anything about the Dominican Republic in particular, but I would rather base sweeping statements on an entire continent on my own [relatively narrow] experience of living there and having cultural heritage there than on a couple of [also relatively narrow] academic studies. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, since you rightly pointed out that there's not a lot about the subject on google, what exactly is your evidence for this?

Let me point out that I am not saying that some people in Latin America do not subconsciously desire to be whiter - just that it's not as common as elsewhere in the world, and that attributing an expression to it and implying that it's a common "practice", is kind of sensationalist.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I completely agree :h:

It shouldn't be taken into consideration, no, but if there's no chemistry between you and the person, and that person having the higher tendency of being of a different race/colour? There's nothing wrong with that.

It wasn't explicitly said, but it feels as if you disagreed with that. May you clarify?
a significant amount of people who say they're into anyone but black people...hmmm😶

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stargirl63
"different looking" - wow, you really need to phrase you questions better! I have found with Africans, whether East or not, they all have very strong , very harsh features, which to me, is not attractive.

Sorry what I meant was different from West Africans.

Link doesn't work and besides, you can be mixed race and be white as hell.
Original post by jedanselemyia
That's very true!
Here I see lots of mixed black and white people which is pretty cool, but the only ones I really know are my family members.
There should be a dating site to meet mixed race singles haha

Hahaha let's start one :wink:
Original post by queen-bee
Hahaha let's start one :wink:

That would be so cool :colone:
We need to think of a name!!
I'm mixed race and I prefer Arab or Somali.
I am half white half Arab (Lebanese), but for some reason I am never attracted to white guys :\
Link doesn't work and besides, you can be mixed race and be white as hell.

It was a joke? So of course it doesn't work. And you can be light skinned and still have a bit of a tan hue. The paleness of full white and the lightness of mixed are not the same complexion, ok?
I'm mixed (Asian/White) and have dated White, Asian and Black people. I'm all about the person - and found all those I dated attractive :smile:
It was a joke? So of course it doesn't work. And you can be light skinned and still have a bit of a tan hue. The paleness of full white and the lightness of mixed are not the same complexion, ok?

It wasn't funny and besides, don't patronise me because I know this obviously :colonhash:
It wasn't funny and besides, don't patronise me because I know this obviously :colonhash:

It's not obvious to me at all, because you said something silly.

Latest

Trending

Trending