The Student Room Group

cant stand religion bashers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Actually, many of the 'religion bashers' on TSR often happen to know more about religions than the supposed followers of such faiths.

Go figure!

Sorry, don't buy it.
Original post by PillsIV
Sorry, don't buy it.

You don't have to, but it is true. Most of TSR's Moslems have not read the Koran (and haven't a clue what it really says), never mind the hadiths. Most of the Christians think there are only ten commandments and are shocked to discover there are hundreds more in the Old Testament and even more in the New Testament.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
She thinks it's a load of BS and is completely wrong and that religion is a great evil. Which is fair enough, of course. But literally half her comments against me/my faith are incorrect. She (by her own admission) has not done her research and thus doesn't know what she's talking about, and so talks a load of BS.

I don't mind people slagging off my faith or slagging off me for having faith as long as they are not too rude, but they need to at least have some proper, vaguely tangible/factual reason for holding their beliefs, if they're going to sprout their views at me unsolicited :yep: Whereas my friend doesn't know what she's railing so hard against. It's quite amusing in some respects :biggrin: But because she's so rude about it, it's just very frustrating too :facepalm: Like, if I were straight and could marry in a church, I would not invite her to my wedding :nope: :erm: :nope:

Haha I know what you mean. People should always evaluate their beliefs and look at why they feel a certain way about something... or its just silly. Though I can sort of understand why she would do it, cause I seem to have turned into a (d*ck) guy who likes to poke holes in what I see as flaws or bias in beliefs and decision making, just because it annoys me so much when things are so flawed.

There is a part of me that absolutely despises religion, and that part of me thinks that it represents a part of the worst of humankind.
But I have sort of accepted that it serves some sort of purpose, as a sort of universal belief system, and so must do people some good (as a defense mechanism). So I guess to a degree it probably should be left alone.

And, of course, everyone is entitled to hold whatever views they wish. As long as they don't try and push those views onto others - which I find very irritating when happens.
Original post by hellodave5
Haha I know what you mean. People should always evaluate their beliefs and look at why they feel a certain way about something... or its just silly. Though I can sort of understand why she would do it, cause I seem to have turned into a (d*ck) guy who likes to poke holes in what I see as flaws or bias in beliefs and decision making, just because it annoys me so much when things are so flawed.

There is a part of me that absolutely despises religion, and that part of me thinks that it represents a part of the worst of humankind.
But I have sort of accepted that it serves some sort of purpose, as a sort of universal belief system, and so must do people some good (as a defense mechanism). So I guess to a degree it probably should be left alone.

And, of course, everyone is entitled to hold whatever views they wish. As long as they don't try and push those views onto others - which I find very irritating when happens.

Well I'd understand if I were trying to evangelise her or drag her to church or whatever but like I said, it's totally unnecessary and unsolicited comments from her! She's just very ignorant for someone with an Oxford education. Not to say that everyone at Oxford is totally clued up on everything or should be clued up on everything, but it's a tad disconcerting anyhow :tongue:

I get the impression with my friend and a lot of her beliefs, that she just believes stuff because she's got the impression (from her mother, no doubt) that that is the totally correct way to be and she hasn't bothered to think about it herself. Either that or she thinks, like someone else said on here, that she's being cool and edgy.

I guess - rightly or wrongly - it just irritates me when people don't do their research and don't employ their brain cells :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well I'd understand if I were trying to evangelise her or drag her to church or whatever but like I said, it's totally unnecessary and unsolicited comments from her! She's just very ignorant for someone with an Oxford education. Not to say that everyone at Oxford is totally clued up on everything or should be clued up on everything, but it's a tad disconcerting anyhow :tongue:

I get the impression with my friend and a lot of her beliefs, that she just believes stuff because she's got the impression (from her mother, no doubt) that that is the totally correct way to be and she hasn't bothered to think about it herself. Either that or she thinks, like someone else said on here, that she's being cool and edgy.

I guess - rightly or wrongly - it just irritates me when people don't do their research and don't employ their brain cells :tongue:

Yeah unsolicited is a bit awkward. Though I do do that with my girlfriend and my immediate family, but not with anyone else... just cause it isn't my place to evaluate their beliefs (not to say it entirely is with family and girlfriend, but I feel I can say what I want to them generally and point out any holes in what I see as false beliefs, as I would hope they would do for me).

Suppose could be that she sees you as REALLY religious (If you are?), and so is a sort of reaction to that, maybe.

Tell her that you find it offensive and ask her to stop?

It could be that she feels so comfortable with you that she can speak her mind :wink:
Original post by Maker
Why don't you chop your legs off, it will make you a better person.

Don't be silly, I mean it situations which God provokes - unless someone has a problem with depression and gets suicidal, at which point it may well:h:
Original post by driftawaay
No, it's because the vast majority of young people today are not religious and know what a stupid ****ed up thing it is.

Nope 100% rubbish. Alot of young people have anxiety and attacking people is how they feel better, whether it's someone's hairstyle to what their religion is. If something doesn't hurt someone the only reason someone attacks them for it, is to make themselves feel better.
Why, what are her views on religion?
I personally think its some kind of defense mechanism that humans use to reduce anxiety.

Are you talking about religion or attack religion.
Reply 88
Original post by Treblebee
Don't be silly, I mean it situations which God provokes - unless someone has a problem with depression and gets suicidal, at which point it may well:h:

Why don't you want to be a better person, all you need is a hacksaw and some bandages?
Yeah unsolicited is a bit awkward. Though I do do that with my girlfriend and my immediate family, but not with anyone else... just cause it isn't my place to evaluate their beliefs (not to say it entirely is with family and girlfriend, but I feel I can say what I want to them generally and point out any holes in what I see as false beliefs, as I would hope they would do for me).

Suppose could be that she sees you as REALLY religious (If you are?), and so is a sort of reaction to that, maybe.

Tell her that you find it offensive and ask her to stop?

It could be that she feels so comfortable with you that she can speak her mind :wink:

Well I am really religious but I don't shove it down anyone's throat and tend to keep my views and beliefs to myself. I know when to hold my tongue and have no interest in evalngelising others :nah:

We did eventually chat about it and she agreed to be less deliberately offensive and I agreed to be a bit less sensitive :tongue:
Original post by Longshot700
Nope 100% rubbish. Alot of young people have anxiety and attacking people is how they feel better, whether it's someone's hairstyle to what their religion is. If something doesn't hurt someone the only reason someone attacks them for it, is to make themselves feel better.

Thats so deep

Let me get my violin
Thats so deep

Let me get my violin

Shove that violin up your bum for all I care.
Shove that violin up your bum for all I care.

I'd rather shove it up your bum :sexface:

You're making me chuckle on my laptop in front of family. go away.

So you don't think anyone attacks religion simply because they dislike it and can see how stupid it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
So you don't think anyone attacks religion simply because they dislike it and can see how stupid it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, it's stupid to you personally. And you feel the need to attack it because it makes you feel better about your way of life.
Nope, it's stupid to you personally. And you feel the need to attack it because it makes you feel better about your way of life.

No I criticise things I think are stupid, I don't do it to make myself feel better about my life, I don't really need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmfao :rofl:
Original post by Underscore__
No I criticise things I think are stupid, I don't do it to make myself feel better about my life, I don't really need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evidently not.
Reply 99
Why, what are her views on religion?
I personally think its some kind of defense mechanism that humans use to reduce anxiety.

What,religion or religion bashing.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending