The Student Room Group

How Can I A* Maths

Hi guys.

Basically I am aiming to go to a good sixth form and that requires straight A*-A grades however I am not very good at mathematics and am working at a C grade.

Are there any students on here who got an A* or A in maths ( my exam board is edexcel but i'll take help in any way) and can give me some tips on how to do this.

I don't really want study tips more like any website you used or a textbook and how you structured your revision

Thanks so much in advance

Scroll to see replies

exam solutions

bland in

m4ths

for websites

Then practice all past papers.
Do as many past paper questions as you can. Practise makes perfect.
Practice, practice, practice. Plus some of the magic ingredient:

Spoiler

Get a hold of your school textbook if you can and practice as many questions as you can.

Then find past papers online, treat them as if they were the real exam, mark yourself, see where you went wrong, study/learn from it and try again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Focus on accuracy rather than speed to begin with, and use past papers. Anything you don't know how to do, watch a video (mathswatch?) on it, then practice questions on the topics you find more difficult. Good luck!!
Mathswatch is the most helpful website Ive ever seen for maths topics, however I believe you need a login, my school provided my, maybe if you ak your teacher he/she might give you a login. It helped me a lot, my grade went from a B to an A* and Im still in year 11. I hope this help you to achieve your aims.
If you are really struggling and can afford it then maybe try getting a maths tutor
When I did edexcel maths the papers went in grade order so at the beginning of the paper the questions were C,D and E and towards the end were the A/A* questions (idk if it's the same now) but if you want to get an A/A* make sure you know the really easy stuff first like HFC before you move on the hard stuff because you need to bag as many marks as you can once you know the content do past papers because similar questions come up on the exam I remember a bearings question came up on the exam and it was similar to the one that I practised but just a different stem and numbers. Also If your stuck on anything ask your teacher to help you and they will go through it in detail
Original post by SeanFM
Practice, practice, practice. Plus some of the magic ingredient:

Spoiler

I did all of the questions in the textbooks and all of the past papers and that did the job for me.

Solomon papers seem to be popular as the exams are getting more difficult and those papers make for good practice.

they do solomon papers for gcse now jeez?
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
they do solomon papers for gcse now jeez?

:facepalm: PRSOM.

Edited.
Original post by SeanFM
:facepalm: PRSOM.

Edited.

gcse banter.
Okay i did quite well at GCSE's i got 8 A*'s 3 A's and 1 B. I did maths in yr 10 at GCSE and got an A*. Obviously this didnt come to me through being lazy, i worked my ass off. If you really want a good great firstly you have to be equipped with the right reasouces. You need a maths book specific to your specification (edexcel) so it covers all tbe topic you need. What i did was calculated the number of week i had until may and then divided my time accordingly so tbat buy may i had confidentely finished every chapter in tbe book. ( for you id reccomend finishing by April so you have time for past papers. You'll need to do nearly ALL the questions im the book and mark them as this helps alot, your book should have answere and if there is no woking you can try fingure out how they got to that answer or use forums/yahoo answers or teacher support for more challenging questions. Once you are done you should hit up past papers ASAP as these give you insight into exam techniques and the types of questions youll get but dont forget EXAMINERS REPORTS are very useful so utilise them to the best of you ability. Also use mathswatch starting from grade D because alot of marks are avaliable for easier questions so perfect that.
After followimg this through get ready for and amazing maths grade in August. Good luck
Reply 12
Original post by mrmahadsaid
Okay i did quite well at GCSE's i got 8 A*'s 3 A's and 1 B. I did maths in yr 10 at GCSE and got an A*. Obviously this didnt come to me through being lazy, i worked my ass off. If you really want a good great firstly you have to be equipped with the right reasouces. You need a maths book specific to your specification (edexcel) so it covers all tbe topic you need. What i did was calculated the number of week i had until may and then divided my time accordingly so tbat buy may i had confidentely finished every chapter in tbe book. ( for you id reccomend finishing by April so you have time for past papers. You'll need to do nearly ALL the questions im the book and mark them as this helps alot, your book should have answere and if there is no woking you can try fingure out how they got to that answer or use forums/yahoo answers or teacher support for more challenging questions. Once you are done you should hit up past papers ASAP as these give you insight into exam techniques and the types of questions youll get but dont forget EXAMINERS REPORTS are very useful so utilise them to the best of you ability. Also use mathswatch starting from grade D because alot of marks are avaliable for easier questions so perfect that.
After followimg this through get ready for and amazing maths grade in August. Good luck

Thank you so much but basically my mocks are in december and I need an A* so i can get an offer from a good sixth form how do you suggest I split my time considering I am a C grade and i have 2 months left :frown:
Original post by TyanaChu
Thank you so much but basically my mocks are in december and I need an A* so i can get an offer from a good sixth form how do you suggest I split my time considering I am a C grade and i have 2 months left :frown:

Okay, it will be quite challenging considering you have to split your time between all your subjects but if you want to do maths based subjects you'll probably need an A/A*. Tell me what subjects you do and how much time to dedicate to revising for them right now so i can help ya.
Reply 14
Original post by mrmahadsaid
Okay, it will be quite challenging considering you have to split your time between all your subjects but if you want to do maths based subjects you'll probably need an A/A*. Tell me what subjects you do and how much time to dedicate to revising for them right now so i can help ya.

I plan on doing history, english lit and french as I would like to go into law however in the future I want to apply to oxbridge so I want a good GCSE math result since I won't be doing it again.

I started this week doing 1 hour maths a day but I don't know how to structure my revision or what order to go in to work quickly. Most of these websites show so many topics and I just don't have the time to do them all what do you suggest I do??
Hi guys.

Basically I am aiming to go to a good sixth form and that requires straight A*-A grades however I am not very good at mathematics and am working at a C grade.

Are there any students on here who got an A* or A in maths ( my exam board is edexcel but i'll take help in any way) and can give me some tips on how to do this.

I don't really want study tips more like any website you used or a textbook and how you structured your revision

Thanks so much in advance

YOUTUBE + EXAM SOLUTIONS + PAST PAPERS (x200) = A* IN MATHS

But just watch maths videos over and over again until you get it and practice as the videos go through, then do the past papers over time and always reflect on each paper finding your faults and watching even more videos to do with it!
Reply 16
Original post by jamestg
YOUTUBE + EXAM SOLUTIONS + PAST PAPERS (x200) = A* IN MATHS

But just watch maths videos over and over again until you get it and practice as the videos go through, then do the past papers over time and always reflect on each paper finding your faults and watching even more videos to do with it!

hi I'm currently looking at exam solutions and its cool but theres not a lot of topics there. Do you think using that website alone i can get an A* as in does it cover all topics I would need for a high grade?

Just out of curiosity how did exam solutions help you, what grade are you?
hi I'm currently looking at exam solutions and its cool but theres not a lot of topics there. Do you think using that website alone i can get an A* as in does it cover all topics I would need for a high grade?

Just out of curiosity how did exam solutions help you, what grade are you?

Using that website alone won't get you an A*, no.

I didn't actually use it for my GCSE maths but I got an A* in it anyway, I am however using it for AS Maths and it really is helping me! I'm predicted an A in AS Maths and if I get 90% in all three of my modules I'll be predicted an A* at A2 :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by jamestg
Using that website alone won't get you an A*, no.

I didn't actually use it for my GCSE maths but I got an A* in it anyway, I am however using it for AS Maths and it really is helping me! I'm predicted an A in AS Maths and if I get 90% in all three of my modules I'll be predicted an A* at A2 :biggrin:

Thats great you must be so smart! What resources did you use to get an A* in Gcse maths and what exam board?

Good luck with your A2!!
Thats great you must be so smart! What resources did you use to get an A* in Gcse maths and what exam board?

Good luck with your A2!!

YouTube and past papers

YouTube is probably the most underestimated educational website there is - the amount of stuff you can get from it is TRULY amazing. And it's all free - FREE TUTORING! I went from a 5A to 7A in one term in Y9 because of YouTube!

Past papers are the best way to get an A* after you know what to do - it will make you incredibly confident with the exam you've got ahead and you know pretty much what to expect!

I did so many past papers and used YouTube so much that I got 196/200 with NO REVISION DURING THE EXAM SEASON! That's what makes the two above methods so good as well, it means you can afford to take time out from revising maths and you can either rest more or allocate more time to other subjects!

I did OCR!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending