The Student Room Group

5 optimistic university choices?

I noticed many students are applying to top universities, and there 5 choices almost offer the same grades, AAA-AAB is a common trend I notice. So I was wondering is there any use to apply to low ranked universities, as people are telling me there is no point as you can always get into them through clearing? So should I apply to low league universities.
Original post by jakei1234
I noticed many students are applying to top universities, and there 5 choices almost offer the same grades, AAA-AAB is a common trend I notice. So I was wondering is there any use to apply to low ranked universities, as people are telling me there is no point as you can always get into them through clearing? So should I apply to low league universities.

Depends really on how confident you are that you'll get good grades.
Maybe just put one mid ranking university down just in case everything doesn't go to plan.
What are your AS grades, A2 predictions and chosen course?

I think it's foolish personally and any of our students doing this would be spoken to to ensure they realise the risks they are taking.

No-one should think it's fun to be in clearing chasing somewhere to study and then somewhere to live - it really isn't a good way to spend August!

Make sure you choose unis that match your predictions, maybe one higher and a back-up. Then when you chose your firm and insurance wait almost as late as you can and be sensible.
Original post by Muttley79
I think it's foolish personally and any of our students doing this would be spoken to to ensure they realise the risks they are taking.

No-one should think it's fun to be in clearing chasing somewhere to study and then somewhere to live - it really isn't a good way to spend August!

Make sure you choose unis that match your predictions, maybe one higher and a back-up. Then when you chose your firm and insurance wait almost as late as you can and be sensible.

But, it depends on individuals' attitudes and plans. I for example plan either to get into a decent university or skip going at all, it's an investment after all and going to a low ranked uni wouldn't improve your prospects and you will be stuck with $37000 of debt!
Reply 5
It really depends on your capabilities and what you hope to get out of uni. If you're going only because you have to then I don't think the uni will matter. But, personally, as I'm applying for law, only the top top unis really suffice and entry requirements will be high almost everywhere

We understand the risks, we're not being foolish, but it's also your own decision - good luck!
Original post by 0123456543210
But, it depends on individuals' attitudes and plans. I for example plan either to get into a decent university or skip going at all, it's an investment after all and going to a low ranked uni wouldn't improve your prospects and you will be stuck with $37000 of debt!

OK - so we'd chat and I'd accept that as a sensible approach - assuming you understand what a 'decent uni' is for your subject.

You aren't planning on using clearing and that is what we want our students to avoid.
Original post by Muttley79
OK - so we'd chat and I'd accept that as a sensible approach - assuming you understand what a 'decent uni' is for your subject.

You aren't planning on using clearing and that is what we want our students to avoid.

Yep I know what you mean. What I have noticed about clearing is that even great students who may have missed one grade for their first and insurance choices (eg. AAB instead of AAA) in the haste of the results day could accept a place at an appalling university, just because of the illusion like they are getting a great deal and the impression like they need to go to uni that year.

Clearing is really the last safety net of the UCAS system - it's not designed to be a routine fallback, and will only contain those courses which haven't had enough applicants. This isn't a situation that most good universities will find themselves in for the vast majority of their courses, and, depending on what you want to study, there may in fact be nothing that interests you, or nowhere offering that course. Also, it's worth noting that there is no point in holding five AAB offers, for example - you'll then just have to choose one firm, and the insurance will be irrelevant (if you miss AAB, you'll just lose all your offers).

If a student has at least AAA predictions, it might be wise to apply to at most two or three AAA courses, one or two AAB courses, and one "safe" (I use the term loosely) ABB. Maybe substitute an AAA course with an A*AA, as there's no harm having one ambitious application over your predictions, but not more, as you'd be far from guaranteed an offer.
Original post by SosbanFach
Clearing is really the last safety net of the UCAS system - it's not designed to be a routine fallback, and will only contain those courses which haven't had enough applicants. This isn't a situation that most good universities will find themselves in for the vast majority of their courses, and, depending on what you want to study, there may in fact be nothing that interests you, or nowhere offering that course. Also, it's worth noting that there is no point in holding five AAB offers, for example - you'll then just have to choose one firm, and the insurance will be irrelevant (if you miss AAB, you'll just lose all your offers).

If a student has at least AAA predictions, it might be wise to apply to at most two or three AAA courses, one or two AAB courses, and one "safe" (I use the term loosely) ABB. Maybe substitute an AAA course with an A*AA, as there's no harm having one ambitious application over your predictions, but not more, as you'd be far from guaranteed an offer.

What spread would you recommend for a student with A*AB?
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2

A2 predictions or achieved?

Oh gosh, I never meant to sound authoritative on this...
Still, according to the automatic system, if you held an AAA offer and on results day received A*AB, the system would see that as no better than AAB, so you'd lose your offer - you have to see each grade as a minimum, and not the collective as a whole (this was the situation that the introduction of UCAS points was meant to avoid, but the uptake of that system wasn't great...). Here you might have some leeway to plead your case to the university on the phone, but it wouldn't be an ideal situation to be in, and they might not let you in even so.

Personally, I'd probably apply for one A*AA, one or two AAA, two or three AAB, and perhaps an ABB depending on the solidity of the A grade - if it was a low A at AS, I would include an ABB. Still, it's your choice; I'm no expert, and there's never any point applying somewhere you have no interest in going to.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have a uni for each grade combination between BBB-A*AA (I'm predicted A*A*A). My ABB choice last year was 1st for my course by guardian and 2nd this year, it's high in other rankings. Really "lower" universities you don't want to go to due to possible prospects.
Original post by Docjones1
A2 predictions or achieved?

Oh sorry, predicted
Oh sorry, predicted

Actual AS grades?
My lowest uni is AAA, and highest A*AA. (predicted A*A*A)

Thinking being that if I don't get onto any of those, I don't really wanna go yet.
Actual AS grades?

A2 predictions = A* A B
AS were AAD son is resitting the D subject
(edited 8 years ago)
A2 predictions = A* A B

Sorry I meant what are your actual AS grades?
Sorry I meant what are your actual AS grades?

I've just realised that, and edited my post :biggrin:
it's a good idea to apply twosome lower down then if you don get the AAB or AAA and get rejected you still have a place at a uni you chose rather than one you might have decided to go to on the spur of the moment because they said they have you make sure you like where you apply to for instance don't apply to Hull over lets say Solent because it's well respected if you hate the place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending