The Student Room Group

Cardiovascular sciences vs Biomedical sciences intercalation

Hello! I am looking into intercalating in a course that is related in some way to cardiology. My question is whether the degree I choose to intercalate in will have any effect on the 'commitment to specialty' part of the specialty application.

As I understand, there are only two courses which are explicitly cardiology related (Imperial and Leeds) however there are several courses such as biomedical sciences or clinical sciences at various universities that let you choose modules which often include cardiovascular physiology etc.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to whether I would be disadvantaged if I went on to apply for cardiology specialty if I go down the second route when compared to candidates who have done the Imperial/Leeds course?

I'm sorry for the ramble but I really wasn't sure who to ask about this!

Thank you :smile:
I'm a final year medical student so not the most qualified to answer your question, but from what I've read/heard, I doubt that would be very important. It's far more important what you do during the year e.g. Degree class, learning research skills, getting published/poster presentation if possible. In addition, I would've thought picking relevant modules could easily be used to show commitment to the speciality.

More than happy to be corrected by those more in the know, but hope that helps!
Biomedical Sciences is much more lab-focused, mainly in life science disciplines such as haematology, biochemistry, histopathology, cytology, microbiology, genetics, physiology and pharmacology ( I did this and went on to PhD). You're more into cardiac physiology where you will really want to do a degree like the ones at Imperial or Leeds or a degree in Healthcare Science (cardiac phys). Check out the link below. It may be what you're looking for

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/healthcare-science/careers-in-healthcare-science/careers-in-physiological-sciences/cardiac-sciences/

I hope that helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Bugsy
Hello! I am looking into intercalating in a course that is related in some way to cardiology. My question is whether the degree I choose to intercalate in will have any effect on the 'commitment to specialty' part of the specialty application.

As I understand, there are only two courses which are explicitly cardiology related (Imperial and Leeds) however there are several courses such as biomedical sciences or clinical sciences at various universities that let you choose modules which often include cardiovascular physiology etc.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to whether I would be disadvantaged if I went on to apply for cardiology specialty if I go down the second route when compared to candidates who have done the Imperial/Leeds course?

I'm sorry for the ramble but I really wasn't sure who to ask about this!

Thank you :smile:

BSc? Newcastle do a cardiology MRes. As for the degree naming, it isn't the end of the world but if you want to do cardiology you might as well have a degree that reflects the fact you studied cardiovascular science within it.

ST3 scoring for cardiology only states that an "intercalated BSc or equivalent" is desirable, doesn't name it. But as you say it'll likely help at interviews to have a cardiovascular-sounding name. A degree that's actually named cardiovascular science will also include more cardiovascular science than a biomedical science degree, even if you are able to pick a module in the latter. So make sure you don't get stuck studying something you don't really wanna do.

I asked the same question when I was considering intercalation options and the advice I got basically summed up to: "it probably doesn't matter, but if you know what you want to do, why would you actively choose against a named degree?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending