The Student Room Group

Chemistry homework help

Why is chlorine a gas at room temperature ,but sodium chloride is a solid at room temperature?
Original post by Geek_shay
Why is chlorine a gas at room temperature ,but sodium chloride is a solid at room temperature?

Elements (chlorine) have different physical and chemical properties to the products (sodium chloride) that contain them. There is also a stronger structure with the salt because it has ionic bonds.
I hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 2

Chlorine molecules are bonded covalently and have weak intermolecular forces between them (dipole-dipole and van der Waals). Little energy is required to loosen the bonds and therefore the substance is a gas at 273K.
Sodium chloride is composed of an ionic lattice. There are strong electrostatic forces acting on all ions attracting them to all oppositely charged ions, meaning that multiple strong ionic bonds are involved. A lot of energy is required to overcome these and therefore at 273K the ions do not have enough KE for the substance to be anything other than a solid
Bit shaky on my AS but I believe it's because NaCl has a structure of giant ionic lattice which means the intermolecular forces are strong and require more energy to break than Cl2, which has weaker Van der Waals forces. Because it requires more heat energy the melting point will mean it's a solid whereas Cl2's boiling point will have been reached by room temperature so it'll be a gas
Reply 4
Original post by Docjones1
Bit shaky on my AS but I believe it's because NaCl has a structure of giant ionic lattice which means the intermolecular forces are strong and require more energy to break than Cl2, which has weaker Van der Waals forces. Because it requires more heat energy the melting point will mean it's a solid whereas Cl2's boiling point will have been reached by room temperature so it'll be a gas

Sodium chloride cannot have intermolecular forces as it is not composed of molecules

Op that will be chemical error and 0 marks most likely if you put that down
Original post by RonnieRJ
Sodium chloride cannot have intermolecular forces as it is not composed of molecules

Op that will be chemical error and 0 marks most likely if you put that down

Are moles composed of molecules?
Reply 6

Moles? It is a ratio of mass to Mr, so for sodium chloride we would use Mr for a single neutral unit, so NaCl. But sodium chloride does not exist in molecular form
Reply 7

No, moles are a unit for measuring the number of atoms or molecules

Not necessarily. A mole is simply an amount, the number of particles present of a particular substance. For example, you could have a mole of Mg, however the particles here would be atoms, not molecules.
Original post by hoafanuk
Not necessarily. A mole is simply an amount, the number of particles present of a particular substance. For example, you could have a mole of Mg, however the particles here would be atoms, not molecules.

Original post by Maker
No, moles are a unit for measuring the number of atoms or molecules

Moles? It is a ratio of mass to Mr, so for sodium chloride we would use Mr for a single neutral unit, so NaCl. But sodium chloride does not exist in molecular form

What about naked mole-rats?
Reply 10
Chlorine molecules are bonded covalently and have weak intermolecular forces between them (dipole-dipole and van der Waals). Little energy is required to loosen the bonds and therefore the substance is a gas at 273K.
Sodium chloride is composed of an ionic lattice. There are strong electrostatic forces acting on all ions attracting them to all oppositely charged ions, meaning that multiple strong ionic bonds are involved. A lot of energy is required to overcome these and therefore at 273K the ions do not have enough KE for the substance to be anything other than a solid

Thank you so much , I understand it now
Thank you so much , I understand it now

You're welcome
Reply 12
You're welcome

Thanks to you aswl
You're welcome

Shush boy u would've got her 0/3
Shush boy u would've got her 0/3

That might be true but almost everyone on here makes mistakes. If anybody is wrong then it would be better to explain to them why they were wrong rather than explicitly pointing out the error. I hope you don't mind me saying this :smile:
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
That might be true but almost everyone on here makes mistakes. If anybody is wrong then it would be better to explain to them why they were wrong rather than explicitly pointing out the error. I hope you don't mind me saying this :smile:

That was a joke you realise?

And yeah I did explain why they were wrong in my previous post thanks
Original post by Mehrdad jafari

Thanks Mehrdad you are a true TSR hero for standing up to RonnieP

Quick Reply

Latest