The Student Room Group

How can i achieve a* in gcse aqa english language?

How many marks do I need altogether including coursework and exam in order to get an a* overall for AQA English Language?
The exact number of raw marks changes year on year to reflect the difficulty of the exam. In June 2015, for example, the unit 1 exam required a minimum of 57/80 in raw marks, which equated to 162/180 UMS. The Unit 3 coursework requires 75/90 minimum, equating to 108/120. They were the same in June 2014, but in 2013 those were 58/80 (shocking, an entire mark higher, I know) and, well, 75/90 respectively (coursework difficulty doesn't really change year on year, obviously...)

All this information can be found here.
Original post by SosbanFach
The exact number of raw marks changes year on year to reflect the difficulty of the exam. In June 2015, for example, the unit 1 exam required a minimum of 57/80 in raw marks, which equated to 162/180 UMS. The Unit 3 coursework requires 75/90 minimum, equating to 108/120. They were the same in June 2014, but in 2013 those were 58/80 (shocking, an entire mark higher, I know) and, well, 75/90 respectively (coursework difficulty doesn't really change year on year, obviously...)

Hey.Can you please reply?

Okay,greetings.I got 72 marks on my overall coursework.Can i still get an A*?(In both English lang and Lit)
Thanksss
Original post by Blancosdos
Hey.Can you please reply?

Okay,greetings.I got 72 marks on my overall coursework.Can i still get an A*?(In both English lang and Lit)
Thanksss

Yup - just make them up again in the exam. If you get 63/80 there, you ought to be over the boundary and with the three extra marks. What matter aren't the unit grades (which bear no importance on your life whatsoever), but rather the overall mark. That said, if you get the opportunity to redraft your coursework, you could do that, to take the pressure off the exam. If you can't, however, it's hardly a calamity - many people just do better in exam conditions than with coursework.
Reply 4
AQA English Language coursework is out of 80. 72 is an A*, just.
Original post by Joshua-P

Ah, my apologies. There are in fact two different options for GCSE English language unit 3, one of which is out of 80, and the other out of 90. I chose the one with the same code as the only unit 1 that I found, however I think that what I actually have is the difference between spec 4700 and 4705 (perhaps), which (probably) have the same unit 1. As I never did AQA English, I'm sure you have a far better understanding of this than me.
Original post by Joshua-P

What if you got 71,70?Can you still get an Overall A*??Thank you x
What if you got 71,70?Can you still get an Overall A*??Thank you x

As was the case with the alternative coursework module, yes. You just need to make up the extra marks in the exam.
As was the case with the alternative coursework module, yes. You just need to make up the extra marks in the exam.

And what are the extra marks?(how many)
And what are the extra marks?(how many)

I think I have finally understood the course structure (possibly)...

Anyhow, your coursework was out of 80. The A* was 72. If you got 70/80, therefore, you were two short of an A*. You would need those two marks extra in the exam: 60/80 would probably scrape it, 62/80 should be safe.
Reply 10

Really appreciate this help, thanks.
Reply 11

this really helped thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest