The Student Room Group

Anyone Here studying Mech Engineering at brunel university Or Queen Mary University?

Hi,
I want to know What it is like doing Mechanical engineering or Mechanical with Aeronautics? I am now at college studying Mechanical Engineering BTEC L3 Diploma. I would be Great if you share your thoughts. I got D*D* For the fist year and i thinking of going to queen mary and do a foundation year and than do Degree or Brunel Straight to degree without doing any foundation year.

Any advise will be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

I finished my foundation year at brunel and am currently doing first year Mec eng at brunel.
The campus is pretty good halls are close and the price is half of Queen marys since brunel is 40mins away from central. Theres around 140 students in a class. Some lecturers are good some aren't (dynamics teachers just reads the calculations of the board and explains how he got the answer).
Library is 24/7 subway,costcutter,HSBC,Costa on campus.
Lots of societys and sports i joined boxing and Krishna conciousness.

Any questions i would be happy to answer.
Original post by ironaldhino
I finished my foundation year at brunel and am currently doing first year Mec eng at brunel.
The campus is pretty good halls are close and the price is half of Queen marys since brunel is 40mins away from central. Theres around 140 students in a class. Some lecturers are good some aren't (dynamics teachers just reads the calculations of the board and explains how he got the answer).

What about the ethnicity and gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also in second year of btec level 3 mechanical engineering. I will be applying for automotive engineering at Brunel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Do you not get to ask questions when they do the lecture?
is it hard? since i am coming from btec.
Do you know any people who dropped out?

Thanks for the reply.
Reply 5
Original post by itzDarren
Also in second year of btec level 3 mechanical engineering. I will be applying for automotive engineering at Brunel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great :biggrin: How was your fist year?
Calm, got full marks, aiming for D*D*D*. Hbu?
Reply 7
Original post by itzDarren
Calm, got full marks, aiming for D*D*D*. Hbu?

Same, I have like 6 assignment due after halfterm as i also have English exam 2nd November. I am very stressed out atm :frown:
Reply 8
I'm currently 1st year Mechanical Engineering at Brunel.
Ask me anything😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asugarajan
What about the ethnicity and gender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its engineering so mainly boys around 6 girls. Very diverse got quiet a lot of Brown asians.

Original post by TAREQ003
Do you not get to ask questions when they do the lecture?
is it hard? since i am coming from btec.
Do you know any people who dropped out?

Thanks for the reply.

Only 50% make it to the First year at Brunel from Foundation.
Because you are expected to know the A level maths which is quiet hard; And out Maths Lecturer was Crap, he literally just read off the book. If your from btec then start learning A level maths; Differentiation and Integration which are the hardest.

You can normally answer questions after the lecture or just raise your hand. But they do expect you to have a go at the question

And some of the students have a bad attitude, especially people who sit at the back, they just talk a lot and distract you if you sit at the back
Reply 10
Original post by suarti10
Ask me anything😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its engineering so mainly boys around 6 girls. Very diverse got quiet a lot of Brown asians.

Because you are expected to know the A level maths which is quiet hard; And out Maths Lecturer was Crap, he literally just read off the book. If your from btec then start learning A level maths; Differentiation and Integration which are the hardest.

You can normally answer questions after the lecture or just raise your hand. But they do expect you to have a go at the question

And some of the students have a bad attitude, especially people who sit at the back, they just talk a lot and distract you if you sit at the back

So You two should Know each other? suarti10 and ironaldhino

So are opportunity do they offer?
Any of you know how to get scholarship?

Also if you like to share some typical question that you do would be great :smile:.

Thanks again.
(edited 8 years ago)
So You two should Know each other? suarti10 and ironaldhino

So are opportunity do they offer?
Any of you know how to get scholarship?

Also if you like to share some typical question that you do would be great :smile:.

Thanks again.

No I don't know ironaldhino
There are a few Engineering societies.
I think there is an Engineering scholarship and an academic excellence one.

As you said you did a foundation year what was the reason for that
Ask me anything😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

did you do bfec level 3 and if so what did u get on it and what does the uni really looks into when applying for mechanical engineering
Original post by dream_big
did you do bfec level 3 and if so what did u get on it and what does the uni really looks into when applying for mechanical engineering

No I did A levels, but there are a few people who did BTEC
Original post by dream_big
As you said you did a foundation year what was the reason for that

grades were low
Reply 16
No I did A levels, but there are a few people who did BTEC

People who did BTEC How did they DO compared to other people on you class in overall. ? thanks for all the info .
Reply 17

Another question What should DO to get Prepared? like what maths topics i should practice? also the materials? thanks
For engineering You need calculus, get good with integration and differentiation, you should be able to do steps in your head without having to write it down; this will help a lot in my opinion ( Mechanics and thermodynamics for eg). A level maths generally helps. Look at lectures on YouTube about First and second law of Thermodynamics, Bernoulli equation, Hydrostatic forces.
Another question What should DO to get Prepared? like what maths topics i should practice? also the materials? thanks
Reply 19
For engineering You need calculus, get good with integration and differentiation, you should be able to do steps in your head without having to write it down; this will help a lot in my opinion ( Mechanics and thermodynamics for eg). A level maths generally helps. Look at lectures on YouTube about First and second law of Thermodynamics, Bernoulli equation, Hydrostatic forces.

Thanks for the tip.

People who did BTEC How did they DO compared to other people on you class in overall. ?

Quick Reply