The Student Room Group

Physics Question - Please help!

A large oil tanker, of mass 10^8 kg, is travelling in the open ocean at a speed of 10m/s when its engines fail suddenly. The water exerts a retarding force of magnitude Cv on the tanker, where C= 3*10^5 Ns/m and v is the speed of the tanker.
(a) Write down the equation of motion of the tanker
(b) Solve the equation to obtain the speed of the tanker as a function of the time elapsed since the engine failure. Hence find the position of the tanker as a function of time elapsed.
(c) How far will the tanker move before it finally comes to rest?
Original post by Serenaaa
A large oil tanker, of mass 10^8 kg, is travelling in the open ocean at a speed of 10m/s when its engines fail suddenly. The water exerts a retarding force of magnitude Cv on the tanker, where C= 3*10^5 Ns/m and v is the speed of the tanker.
(b) Solve the equation to obtain the speed of the tanker as a function of the time elapsed since the engine failure. Hence find the position of the tanker as a function of time elapsed.

What level is this? What do you know about solving differential equations? What have you done so far?
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
What level is this? What do you know about solving differential equations? What have you done so far?

I have done A level maths, and my teacher gave me this question to 'stretch me,' but I have no idea what to do! I know that you need to use Newton's laws, but that's as much as I know!
Original post by Serenaaa

So you know the force is given by Cv... I'm assuming you know F = ma? So Cv=-ma (negative since force is opposite direction to velocity of tanker)
remember a=dvdt \vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} so Cv=mdvdt Cv=-m \frac{dv}{dt} now solve that for v
Reply 4
Original post by langlitz
So you know the force is given by Cv... I'm assuming you know F = ma? So Cv=-ma (negative since force is opposite direction to velocity of tanker)
remember a=dvdt \vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} so Cv=mdvdt Cv=-m \frac{dv}{dt} now solve that for v

thank you so much! I have finally solved it after HOURS of trying! xx

Quick Reply

Latest