The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by musicgirl19
Hi everyone - I had my double jaw surgery for an underbite, open bite and asymmetry almost 5 weeks ago now! (30th June) Time has flown by and I'm doing really well. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help :smile:

Hey there!

I had mine 3 days ago, trying to adjust to the swelling! Surgery was just my bottom jaw.

Any tips you can give me to cope with it or reduce?How long would you say it took for yours to go down?

Thanks and im glad things are going great with you :biggrin:
I have been told that braces will make my asymmetric jaw worse and surgery is the only thing that will fix it. My jaw sits to the left instead of the middle and I'm concerned that my family think I only want the operation for vanity purposes when I do get pain when eating and grind my teeth. I have 5mm space and my dentist said it would be very beneficial. How painful is it and is it worth having?
Original post by Rosiemaude
I have been told that braces will make my asymmetric jaw worse and surgery is the only thing that will fix it. My jaw sits to the left instead of the middle and I'm concerned that my family think I only want the operation for vanity purposes when I do get pain when eating and grind my teeth. I have 5mm space and my dentist said it would be very beneficial. How painful is it and is it worth having?

If your family love you they will support whatever decision you make! My family were amazing with helping me and everything.

Pain for me was quite bad, I disagree with people who say you're too numb to feel the pain! Normal painkillers and codeine didn't work for me, the best things were suppositories (up the bum lol), but after the first week or so, normal painkillers were fine and I stopped taking them after about 2 weeks.

And yes so worth it!! I had my operation almost 4 months ago so am still fairly swollen but having recently gone to university I have so much more confidence and feel so happy with how I look and my Instagram page is full of selfies ahahah, but yeah definitely worth it for the cosmetic and practical benefits!!

Also the time flies by, so while the soft food diet with no chewing is very difficult and draining, it goes so quickly and before you know it you'll be eating steak again (as I was ALL THE TIME), go for it! Good luck x
Hi there,

I just had jaw surgery last week Thursday. Is it just me or does anyone who has gone through lower and top jaw surgery find it difficult to sleep upright? Did anyone else get blisters at the side of the mouth after surgery if so what did you use to treat them?
Hi Guys,
I currently have a large underbite and my biggest regret is choosing not to do the treatment when I was 17 years old (I WAS JUST WAY TOO SCARED TO HAVE SUGURY).

Anyways, I only had braces on my upper teeth as it was really crooked. I'm now 22 and I decided a year ago that enough is enough and I started treatment. My orthodontist has put braces on my lower teeth after a couple of tooths were extracted. Its been 6 months since that and I'm pleased to say that its straightening out really nicely. However my orthodontist now says that i'll be ready for braces again on my upper teeth and I was incredibly disappointed by this. Although my upper teeth after 5-6 years are fairly straight, two of tooths have started to move back to its original place.

So my question is that do you guys think that I could tell my orthodontist that I don't want braces on my upper teeth and leave as it is as I no longer want to delay the treatment time or do you guys think that I don't have a choice.

Any advice would be much LOVED!!
Hi,
I had my operation on Wednesday so the day before you. On both my upper and lower jaws! Yes it's so hard to sleep up right!

Did you get elastic on your braces afterward? Are we meant to sleep and eat with them? The orthodontic did say in the hospital but I was so out of it I don't remember.

When do you stop dribbling I feel like a baby?
Hi

I had my Jaw Surgery last summer, and it was one of the best things I did. I was never worried about the pain or what id look like (my lips were like pete burns afterward) I now have 4 metal plates in my mouth, as I needed double jaw surgery, top and bottom. The only thing I will say is be prepared for a change, I don't remember my surgeon stressing how much my face will move, it changed the shape of my nose and face, my cheeks looked fuller and so did my lips. I now have a slight irritation with the shape of my nose, (which can be fixed) this is something to keep in mind. if you do go through with the surgery, you will be happy with it, but it will take time to get used to how you will look after all the swelling and bruising, and trust me there will be a lot of swelling and bruising!
also, even though the swelling typically goes within 4-6 months completely, you may end up with nerve damage (which I have) it just means part of my chin is slightly numb. when you have a meeting with your surgeon, ask as many questions as possible, to prepare yourself. I doubt you will regret having it done, but it is a MASSIVE change, and it may affect things you didn't think it would. I would recommend this to anyone who needed it, but don't be shy about getting all the info you need! you can never be over prepared for something like this! Good luck! :smile:
Original post by hazukasad
Hi Guys,
I currently have a large underbite and my biggest regret is choosing not to do the treatment when I was 17 years old (I WAS JUST WAY TOO SCARED TO HAVE SUGURY).

Anyways, I only had braces on my upper teeth as it was really crooked. I'm now 22 and I decided a year ago that enough is enough and I started treatment. My orthodontist has put braces on my lower teeth after a couple of tooths were extracted. Its been 6 months since that and I'm pleased to say that its straightening out really nicely. However my orthodontist now says that i'll be ready for braces again on my upper teeth and I was incredibly disappointed by this. Although my upper teeth after 5-6 years are fairly straight, two of tooths have started to move back to its original place.

So my question is that do you guys think that I could tell my orthodontist that I don't want braces on my upper teeth and leave as it is as I no longer want to delay the treatment time or do you guys think that I don't have a choice.

if you're getting this under the nhs then I don't think you get to choose how you get your treatment. My advice just get the braces and have the surgery, it is definitely worth it!
I'm having double jaw surgery this Friday and I'm dreading it! Just started my degree and I can barely focus on it since I've been too worried about my operation coming up. I've been super worried about my student loan being stopped or failing my exams. I'm already in pretty poor health (just because my diet is bad and I get anaemia) so I really don't know how I'm going to get assignments done from home during this. I don't even know how understanding the university will be about the whole thing.

I know I can't help having the operation, it's been 3 years coming since I was 17 and I'm glad I'll be getting it over with but I feel super guilty about how badly I'm doing in uni right now. I just can't focus. I'm lucky I have no graded assignments until December 4th.

Does anyone know exactly how understanding universities are when it comes to students having operations like this? I've informed uni, gave them paperwork and explained the condition I'll probably be in but I feel like it's not enough :/

and I don't want to use the operation as an excuse to get behind on my work, but it's been freaking me out so much that I have to have it done that I just can't focus on my work
Original post by JessicaBunnie
I'm having double jaw surgery this Friday and I'm dreading it! Just started my degree and I can barely focus on it since I've been too worried about my operation coming up. I've been super worried about my student loan being stopped or failing my exams. I'm already in pretty poor health (just because my diet is bad and I get anaemia) so I really don't know how I'm going to get assignments done from home during this. I don't even know how understanding the university will be about the whole thing.

I know I can't help having the operation, it's been 3 years coming since I was 17 and I'm glad I'll be getting it over with but I feel super guilty about how badly I'm doing in uni right now. I just can't focus. I'm lucky I have no graded assignments until December 4th.

Does anyone know exactly how understanding universities are when it comes to students having operations like this? I've informed uni, gave them paperwork and explained the condition I'll probably be in but I feel like it's not enough :/

and I don't want to use the operation as an excuse to get behind on my work, but it's been freaking me out so much that I have to have it done that I just can't focus on my work

I had my surgery last month and I took 4 weeks off uni. I didn't do any work at home so now I'm trying to catch up while I still can till dec 8th.
I was due to have bimaxillary surgery yesterday (10th December), but unfortunately the surgery was called off due to a lack of beds and staff. They said they might be able to reschedule if for late January, but this is right in the middle of term 2 at university. I will have weekly assignments at this time that will count towards my final grade, and the surgery will obviously be very disruptive to my studies.

However, if I were to wait until Easter or summer, then I would have to basically start from scratch and re-experience the pre-operation process (wafer fit, impress, etc.), which would be very frustrating for me. I want to get this over and done with. And it might be difficult to reschedule it for these holidays.

How much time do you think I would have to take off uni if I were to have the surgery during term time? Do you think I could return with 2 or 3 weeks? And is it possible to do work in the weeks immediately after the surgery, or is the pain so bad that it's impossible to focus on anything? I want to get this surgery done as soon as possible, but I don't to get too behind and I don't want my grades to suffer.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Hello all, I have an 11mm overbite with pain in my left side ear area and I grind my teeth and my bottom teeth stab my gums. Do you think I would qualify for the nhs treatment? It is incredibly important to me due to the pain I've had the past years, not only physical but psychology. Any advice? I am 22, living in Scotland xx
Original post by Hattyxo
Hello all, I have an 11mm overbite with pain in my left side ear area and I grind my teeth and my bottom teeth stab my gums. Do you think I would qualify for the nhs treatment? It is incredibly important to me due to the pain I've had the past years, not only physical but psychology. Any advice? I am 22, living in Scotland xx

If you are suffering from pain then it is likely but you need to go to an orthodontist to be sure.
Hey,
I've just had surgery on my top jaw on Thursday. I contacted my university Wednesday regarding my exams in January. They granted me extenuating circumstances without even having to give them any evidence of the operation/hospital appointments etc!! They were very understanding and have assigned me an additional tutor who will aid me with any missed work next term although I should be fine by then.
They will be able to give you an extension on your work surely as you (just like me) have been waiting for surgery. Also in regards to healing, there isn't much pain but you will feel very washed out I.e. Tired, sleepy, drowsy etc. I've been sleeping upto 16 hours some days and find that I cannot concentrate on university work very well at the moment.
Original post by hazukasad
Hi Guys,

You've come this far, don't give up now! I'd personally have the upper brace.
I had surgery last Thursday and have been waiting for it since 2008 (had braces since then). I've never been so happy with my teeth! The end result is definitely worth it.
I had jaw surgery for my underbite in August (2015) and I'm 20. Please don't worry about age. I still have braces (5 years now) and as much as it frustrates me, I know the end result will be worth it. I agree with previous comments, surgery is psychologically draining and a big decision, but for me, it was 100% worth it.
Reply 556
Hi, I'm looking to get the operation I have a side bite and an underbite and have regular pain in my right side of jaw. Struggling to get to an orthodontist in the hospital. Was sent to a consultant and told they couldn't do anything for me... I didn't mention surgery, had anyone had a similar experience ? Should I push it or does anyone have any advice. I went through my GP I'm wondering if I should go through my dentist?
Reply 557
Original post by jelly1000
If you are suffering from pain then it is likely but you need to go to an orthodontist to be sure.

Hey, did you qualify? I'm struggling to get an appointment at the hospital, for some reason they just won't refer me ! :frown:
Original post by Phebo
Hey, did you qualify? I'm struggling to get an appointment at the hospital, for some reason they just won't refer me ! :frown:

I did although I declined but I was referred by my dentist to the hospital based orthodontist
Reply 559
Original post by jelly1000
I did although I declined but I was referred by my dentist to the hospital based orthodontist

Ok, so your dentist is the way to go. I went to my doctor originally because of the pain. I didn't know it they were denying me because of my age, I'm 22.

Latest